PDA

View Full Version : Kind of funny

DustyPorViva
04-22-2007, 02:56 AM
When Kingdom's came out, how so many people praised the 3D terrain, and how so many people said they were going to make a server with 3D terrain. I just find it funny how such a major addition to Graal has yet to hit a server other than Kingdoms yet. Even in a simple form.

killerogue
04-22-2007, 03:33 AM
That server Darkmoon Geovanie is doing has 3D terrain. :P

smirt362
04-22-2007, 03:36 AM
I hate those 3d terrains, I think they are ugly.

DustyPorViva
04-22-2007, 03:54 AM
That server Darkmoon Geovanie is doing has 3D terrain. :P

Ya, which was just announced I believe. How long has it been since the terrain was released? I thought at least some of the servers on classic would have found some cheap way to have a terrain, even for events or such.

xXziroXx
04-22-2007, 04:11 AM
I was using 3D terrain on the last version of Utheril, and also at a stage on Mythic.

I also remember another server a long time ago using it.

DustyPorViva
04-22-2007, 04:20 AM
G_yoshi's server, DK, don't remember the exact name.

Stephen
04-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Archaic, the first server given permission to use the 3D terrain, fell through. :frown:

Inspiration
04-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Well, as a rule of thumb, let's consider how many new and upcoming servers use the easier to work with classic terrain?

Exactly.

People can barely put together a halfway decent server using even the simplest of what's given to them.

DustyPorViva
04-22-2007, 06:44 AM
How is classic terrain harder than 3d terrain? Technically... 3D terrain doesn't really take the same talent to work with as classic terrain, as there are hardly any tiles and most is automatically generated with the terrain generator. The only things that need to be managed are NPCs.

Inspiration
04-22-2007, 08:01 AM
How is classic terrain harder than 3d terrain? Technically... 3D terrain doesn't really take the same talent to work with as classic terrain, as there are hardly any tiles and most is automatically generated with the terrain generator. The only things that need to be managed are NPCs.

Well, I'll put it this way:

I wouldnt call Graal Kingdom's Map, Dungeons, ect, at all innovative or well thought out. They pretty much look just like that. Someone just randomly generated them and said OKAY DONE!

If anything, GK would and should be completely outdone by any other server using the same methods.

mmmmkay
04-22-2007, 10:23 AM
With terrain comes the need for tons of graphics and most people can't get a graphic artist that's that good and dedicated. And yeah Graal belongs 2d in my mind :P

SayianOozaru
04-22-2007, 11:01 AM
When Kingdom's came out, how so many people praised the 3D terrain, and how so many people said they were going to make a server with 3D terrain. I just find it funny how such a major addition to Graal has yet to hit a server other than Kingdoms yet. Even in a simple form.
I've seen a playerworld or 2 with 3d terrain. But your right, most worlds do not use it. Would be nice if they did though.

DustyPorViva
04-22-2007, 06:56 PM
With terrain comes the need for tons of graphics and most people can't get a graphic artist that's that good and dedicated. And yeah Graal belongs 2d in my mind :P
I think it'd be a lot easier to get graphics done for a terrain-based server than classic. Classic, if needed a new tileset or graphics, would have to get theres done with pixel art. That talent isn't as spread out as there are people who can sketch and finish it up in photoshop.
And I'm not really saying I'd like to see these out, it's just surprising that I haven't seen one terrain map outside of Kingdoms, even just a small one for events, given how so many people wanted it(and I'm not talking about dev servers).

Inverness
04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
The 3D terrain takes a huge amount of space on the tileset for it to look as random as it does, there is no space for extra tiles.

DustyPorViva
04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't understand what you're really getting at?

Huwajux
04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I hate Kingdom's map. Some areas it takes you 10 full seconds to move like 2 tiles.

Ravenblade1979
04-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I hate Kingdom's map. Some areas it takes you 10 full seconds to move like 2 tiles.

Also depends on your speed. Usually 3.0 and above you can move pretty good.

oinknessx
04-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey fellas. For one thing, I think the biggest downfall of the 3D terrain is that they have to make bumps and crevasses every 2 inches... I don't think land is really that way. I think if the changes were more subtle, and hills looked like hills, plains like plains, etc... it could be a lot more successful.

On the issue of GK though, I haven't been able to play it for years because my gold ran out. But I remember it being a ton of fun, with fun NPCs, scripts, jobs, and the graphics like skeleton warriors, T-rex, and even the giant lord boss things were cool. It's more a question of enjoyable content than just a map. You could have the most beautiful map ever, but if all you can do is walk, it wouldn't be too interesting for too long.

GK had a lot going for it. Kingdom IslandsTwith guild wars, praying to gods and a fantastic magic system... The only thing I really disliked about it were the bodies. I thought they were a bit too stiff, and not as fluid as classic fighting, which is pretty fast-paced (if you're fighting someone skilled! :D)

DustyPorViva
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
You can work at making it smoother, it depends on how 'chaotic' you make the map.

oinknessx
04-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I think if someone personally went through and lifted or lowered the terrain amongst mountains and whatnot, it could really look incredible. Imagine those overstuffed classic levels people are doing, except in - gasp - 3D!