PDA

View Full Version : will there ever be

Alure1316
04-15-2007, 04:17 AM
a client that has gs2 enabled? so we can test scripts without having a server up.

cbk1994
04-15-2007, 03:06 PM
a client that has gs2 enabled? so we can test scripts without having a server up.

Probably not, because that would require the npc-server to be implemented offline, which would make it much easier for people to learn to hack the npc-server.

DustyPorViva
04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
It's only require the npc server for serverside stuff though...

cbk1994
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
It's only require the npc server for serverside stuff though...

Do you have any idea how much that would have to be updated? GS1 rarely got any updates, GS2 is getting a lot.

Chompy
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Do you have any idea how much that would have to be updated? GS1 rarely got any updates, GS2 is getting a lot.

Bah, when you do like play URL; it asks for internet access :o*
Could be a feature where you could access online stuff like that..

So, offline stuff like 'play' can go online in the editor..

*Dunno if the editor still allow this tho

DustyPorViva
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think anyone is really asking for a perfect client that always has the latest updates. But... it wouldn't kill Graal to have some weekly updates sometimes, you know?
I think all anyone wants is a little something to work offline so they don't have to buy a server or have friends to get on a server. Everyone screams to learn GS2 whenever anyone posts a GS1 script yet there's no dev server for them to learn, people won't hire someone who doesn't actually know what they're doing, and if you're just coming to the game you probably don't have any friends who'd trust you with their RC/NC.

Chompy
04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't think anyone is really asking for a perfect client that always has the latest updates. But... it wouldn't kill Graal to have some weekly updates sometimes, you know?
I think all anyone wants is a little something to work offline so they don't have to buy a server or have friends to get on a server. Everyone screams to learn GS2 whenever anyone posts a GS1 script yet there's no dev server for them to learn, people won't hire someone who doesn't actually know what they're doing, and if you're just coming to the game you probably don't have any friends who'd trust you with their RC/NC.

I totally second that, and I agree with that!

cbk1994
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM

If that's the case, I'd love it, but there's no way we're going to get this. Stefan doesn't worry about the level editor much more :(

Only online one.

Skyld
04-15-2007, 04:21 PM
The new engine very much relies on the NPC-Server to do most of the work (such as compiling the scripts, sending them to the client, etc), so without it, it practically would not work. Secondly, without the serverside, you wouldn't be able to write anything spectacularly useful anyway.

DustyPorViva
04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Maybe not, but you'd at least be able to learn the basics, just like when NPC server came out.
And I'm sure the compiling could be done in a client like the editor.
I'm not going to argue if it's going to happen, we all know it won't. Just saying it'd be nice to have to help bring in more scripters.

Skyld
04-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Maybe not, but you'd at least be able to learn the basics, just like when NPC server came out.
And I'm sure the compiling could be done in a client like the editor.
I'm not going to argue if it's going to happen, we all know it won't. Just saying it'd be nice to have to help bring in more scripters.
What would be more realistic is a testbed server (I think like Tyhm suggested) where anyone can log on, script and test things, and then the server is cleared every 24 hours so that it is fresh again the next day and nothing bad stays on there.

Chandler
04-15-2007, 05:57 PM
What would be more realistic is a testbed server (I think like Tyhm suggested) where anyone can log on, script and test things, and then the server is cleared every 24 hours so that it is fresh again the next day and nothing bad stays on there.

I wouldn't mind this.
If one were to abuse, they'd be removed. :)

Alure1316
04-16-2007, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't mind this.
If one were to abuse, they'd be removed. :)

who would!? :D

cbk1994
04-16-2007, 04:29 AM
who would!? :D

I can think of 3 people off the top of my head.

Alure1316
04-17-2007, 06:02 AM
I can think of 3 people off the top of my head.

go for it.

zokemon
04-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Weekly updates?!
That's quite alot to ask man...
The normal Graal client is not even updated once a month on average and when it is, the changes are rarely enough to constitute a need for the editor to be changed aswell.
o_o

DustyPorViva
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
That's why I said, it wouldn't kill. I've played other free MMORPG's, some that are even 3D, that schedule weekly updates.

hotrian
04-18-2007, 11:40 PM
That's why I said, it wouldn't kill. I've played other free MMORPG's, some that are even 3D, that schedule weekly updates.

Or, They just hold back updates so it appears new, but really it was made years ago and Stefan just releases it upfront :P

DustyPorViva
04-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Does it matter how they do it though? It's still weekly updates. I'd rather a game that held back a crap load progress and released it weekly than a game that releases it all at once and lies dormant for the next couple of months.