PDA

View Full Version : New N-Pulse Sparring Systems

Gambet
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, this past week I've been working hard on improving the N-Pulse sparring systems to hopefully give some more meaning to sparring and to attract some of the old sparrers that used to spar on NP on a daily basis.

Before the whole UN finger starts getting pointed, I made a spar queue based system on NP Dev last year in GS2, so the whole queue system for UN was not original at all. The main NP server wasn't able to use it since NP is still GS1, so I've had to make a totally new system in GS1. Regardless, I don't think it should matter anyways.

This system only applies to the main level of NP Spar, which can be located by saying "/play npspar" (without the quotes) while in client. The side spar rooms will not be affected by these set of systems, nor will nemspar, or any other spar on the server.

The new updates contain the following features:

. Queue waiting system
. Accuracy checking system
. Consecutive spars won checking system
. Automatic spar ranking system

For a list of commands, simply read the sign upon entering NP Spar. The commands are rather self explanatory, so I don't really need to go into deep explanation about the queue waiting system here. What I will say is that the command to display everyone in the list will send a say2 message to your client, showing a list of everyone on the list in order from first to last, all fully numbered and organized (just to show some differences from UN pertaining to the queue system bit). The consecutive spar won checking system is also self explanatory.

The accuracy checking system is basically a formula that deals with the number of times you've swung and the number of times you've landed a hit. Your accuracy is shown as a percentage next to your name while sparring in the Account1 vs Account2 bit in the upper portion of the arena.

The automatic spar ranking system gives each sparrer a ranking based on a number of factors that are ran through a formula. I won't give away contents of my formula to anyone, but just know that, obviously, the better you spar, the higher your ranking will be. The system automatically acknowledges the top ten sparrers with the highest ranking and displays their names in the statue room right above NP Spar (first entrance to the left of the Tournament Times sign), along with their ranking in parenthesis. Right above the list you'll find text that displays your current ranking, so you can compare it to those on the list to see how much more you'll need to make the list.

If for any reason these systems just don't suit you, then you can always spar in the side rooms of NP Spar, or even Nemspar. No one is restricted to sparring in NP Spar, but these systems are there for those that enjoy the competition.

NOTE: There is currently a client problem that causes the system to not register with SOME accounts. There is no possible way for me to fix this problem, and I've already addressed Skyld of the problem and he told me that he will try to get Stefan to fix it a.s.a.p. This problem may have been fixed with the new engine, but as many of you know, NP is GS1, and thus all of the problems associated with the old engine still apply to NP. Hopefully Stefan is willing to fix the problem and will do so a.s.a.p so that everyone can enjoy these systems.

As an added spoiler, I'll just mention that soon you should be expecting an automatic spar tournament system, but I'll give more details on that once I'm done with it.

I believe that's all the information you'll need to know about the new NP sparring systems, and I hope to be seeing new faces around. If you are still confused about how some things work, then feel free to ask. Asking me anything about the spar ranking formula will be a waste of energy for I will not answer any questions about that.

Enjoy ^^

eronix
03-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Just a little question, when this automatic spar tournament system gets up, what will be the main event for the Events Team to do? Or is the "weekly et event" basically demolished?

Inspiration
03-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Cool so you pretty much released something UN has had for a long time and made an overly complex post about it.

Gambet
03-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Just a little question, when this automatic spar tournament system gets up, what will be the main event for the Events Team to do? Or is the "weekly et event" basically demolished?

No, players will be added to a waiting list for the tourney to start and once the list reaches its maxed allowed participants, then it will automatically trigger for the tournament to begin.

It will have nothing to do with weekly tournaments for statues or anything.

Lord Sephiroth
03-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Cool so you pretty much released something UN has had for a long time and made an overly complex post about it.

And claimed to make it before UN.

Gambet
03-31-2007, 12:54 AM
And claimed to make it before UN.

Depends on when the one for UN was made. Not like it matters regardless, my system has some things that UN's doesn't.

Twinny
03-31-2007, 04:42 AM
Heh...I made a quick spar arena for Zodiac. You have to queue up to get into it. Both players have 20 seconds to say start then about 2 minutes to kill each other. At the end of two minutes, the person with the most health wins. The system then grabs the next two people to spar.

The system doesn't allow for spar hoggers doing their consecutive wins but instead allows for a very fast spaced spar arena. I have plans for a few more spars. Cool thing I managed to make my spar arena without 1 timeout serverside ^^.

MysticX2X
03-31-2007, 05:07 AM
Depends on when the one for UN was made. Not like it matters regardless, my system has some things that UN's doesn't.

No one really cares about how many times someone hits a sword and hits a person.

DustyPorViva
03-31-2007, 05:16 AM
Some people do. Either way, nothing wrong with a little extra numbers to see how you did.
Anyways, who cares who did what first, now both servers have something along the same lines.

Darlene159
03-31-2007, 05:17 AM
No one really cares about how many times someone hits a sword and hits a person.Actually, I think it's kinda cool myself.

Infernix
04-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Ahhhhh to bad no one spars on npulse? This isn't big news since npulse is missing something that makes sparring fun, "Players".

I think ill stick to UN though, pretty much the same thing but they have players. Maybe focus on getting players and then some people will switch over.

MysticX2X
04-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Actually, I think it's kinda cool myself.

If you know how alot of players spar, youd know that they will be defensive and slashed their sword randomly alot.

Darlene159
04-01-2007, 03:23 AM
If you know how alot of players spar, youd know that they will be defensive and slashed their sword randomly alot.Most of them that I have seen on different servers actually have a system that they use (older players who spar a lot anyway), and it rarely includes randomly swinging their sword a lot. It's more in the way they move, and knowing when to swing at the right time. :)
In my experiance, by sparring and by watching, those who swing wildly usually hit their target less times then the person who concentrates on the way they move.

DustyPorViva
04-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Circle, slash at the back, circle, slash at the back, circle, slash at the back, wait until lag subsides, watch players flash at random places as the packets flood in, rinse and repeat.

MysticX2X
04-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Circle, slash at the back, circle, slash at the back, circle, slash at the back, wait until lag subsides, watch players flash at random places as the packets flood in, rinse and repeat.

...you make no sense.

And what i mean is that some players dont want the chance of getting hit so they will hit their sword not really attempting to attack but to defend. So stats wont be accurate at all.

DustyPorViva
04-01-2007, 04:44 AM
T'was a joke. That's how spars usually went back before broadband was an every-household thing.

warp2ukew
04-02-2007, 05:20 PM
The spar tourney thing is pretty cool, not needing an ET would be fun, just stick it on Delteria instead, though. EGSL is bringing really good sparrers and it's a lot of fun!