PDA

View Full Version : SImple Problem

MrAnonymous_P2P
03-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Hey its me again, Try my hand on scripting Im getting the basics down but for some reason I am having trouble with this simple flag. Here is the first script:

showcharacter;
setcharprop #3,head0.png;
setcharprop #C0,orange;
setcharprop #C1,white;
setcharprop #C2,blue;
setcharprop #C3,red;
setcharprop #C4,black;
setcharprop #2,shield1.gif;
shieldpower = 1;
dir = 2;
}
if (playertouchsme) {move 26.5,-4,10,0;

freezeplayer 10;

sleep 10;

save[1]=true;
}

Then I have a door script:

if (save[1]=true) {hide;}

For some reason the door will not disapear though. Please help :)

Gambet
03-08-2007, 05:52 AM
God it hurts me just to look at GS1 now that I've been working with GS2 for so long >_<

Are both parts in the same script? If not I don't think it would work because the flag would only be setting for that one script, and thus the other wouldn't be able to read it.

DustyPorViva
03-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Don't really understand what you're trying to do... Could you explain it? I guess it has something to do with the save[x]'s... but I don't understand what.
From reading a little. I guess you have an NPC that will walk to a door and open it?

If that's the case, use triggeractions, not save[x]'s.

if (created) {
showcharacter;
setcharprop #C0,orange;
setcharprop #C1,white;
setcharprop #C2,blue;
setcharprop #C3,red;
setcharprop #C4,black;
shieldpower = 1;
dir = 2;
}
if (playertouchsme) {
move 26.5,-4,10,0;
freezeplayer 10;
sleep 10;
triggeraction x+1,y,opendoor,;
}

if (actionopendoor) hide;

Though I don't remember if triggeractions work from one non-weapon NPC to another...

Twinny
03-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Though I don't remember if triggeractions work from one non-weapon NPC to another...

It's triggering the map. Why wouldn't it work?

MrAnonymous_P2P
03-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Still doesnt work. Remember Im a noob at scripting you might have to explain some things XD

DustyPorViva
03-08-2007, 06:19 AM
It's triggering the map. Why wouldn't it work?

Dunno, if I remember correctly, I had problems triggering from a non-weapon NPC to another NPC. I think it was having a block trigger a switch it was pushed over. Could never get it to work.

Chandler
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I answered this in your other thread... re-read?

http://forums.graal2001.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72609#post1285014

MrAnonymous_P2P
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Im a noob at scripting I have no idea what all those commands mean. Please explain.(I dont know what to change to make it work or anything :( )

Chandler
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
TRIGGERACTION npcx, npcy, foundPOSITION,;

Change this to something like this.

triggeraction 30, 30, foundPOSITION,;

Obviously, edit the position (30, 30) to where the door is. [The x/y position of the door]
Then, inside the door add the other script. You'll see how it works.

Kristi
03-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey its me again, Try my hand on scripting Im getting the basics down but for some reason I am having trouble with this simple flag. Here is the first script:

showcharacter;
setcharprop #C0,orange;
setcharprop #C1,white;
setcharprop #C2,blue;
setcharprop #C3,red;
setcharprop #C4,black;
shieldpower = 1;
dir = 2;
}
if (playertouchsme) {move 26.5,-4,10,0;

freezeplayer 10;

sleep 10;

save[1]=true;
}

Then I have a door script:

For some reason the door will not disapear though. Please help :)

should be
if (save[1]==true) {hide;}
you used the wrong operator.
this method should work fine after that.

I can't believe all these FOOLS posting pointed you torwards triggeraction and completely overlooked that :D
jk ILU guys

Chandler
03-08-2007, 07:28 PM
should be
you used the wrong operator.
this method should work fine after that.

I can't believe all these FOOLS posting pointed you torwards triggeraction and completely overlooked that :D
jk ILU guys

I think you're mistaken ;)

Kristi
03-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I think you're mistaken ;)

as long as if(save[1]==true) is in a timeout it will be reconized

Alternately the door could be scripted in gs2!

//#CLIENTSIDE

function onCreated() {
door942 = this;
}

public function hideme() {
hide();
}

then from whatever script you want you can use

function onPlayerTouchsMe() {
move(26.5,-4,10,0);

freezeplayer(10);

sleep(10);

door942.hideme();
}

Kristi
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
In a timeout! :p
Wouldn't you rather call something than check something every ## seconds?

READ THE EDIT

Besides, for all intensive purposes, he asked why his script did not work, not how to do it a better way.

zokemon
03-08-2007, 09:07 PM
== is not required.
= works just fine.

napo_p2p
03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
== is not required.
= works just fine.

== is required.

= may have worked in GS1, but it acts a lot differently (as it should) in GS2.

For example:
if (this.foo == 1)
This checks if this.foo equals 1

if (this.bar = 1)
This assigns the value '1' to this.bar and returns the value of this.bar after the assignment.

DustyPorViva
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
If the two scripts are in seperate NPCs, you just can't check save[0] from the other npc with save[0]==1. save[0] is local to the NPC, so you'd either have to get the NPC index for npcs[x].save[0]==1 or triggeraction the other NPC...
Now... if they're in the same NPC than triggeraction would be a silly solution.

Anyways, I see in his first post he corrected and captioned the second NPC is a door. In that case save[0]==1 will not work since save[x]'s are a local variable. Triggeraction is the right solution for NPC's interacting.

napo_p2p
03-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Anyways, I see in his first post he corrected and captioned the second NPC is a door. In that case save[0]==1 will not work since save[x]'s are a local variable. Triggeraction is the right solution for NPC's interacting.

You can access the save[n] of another NPC, just like you can access any of its other variables. Joshie's solution shows how this can be done.

DustyPorViva
03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
True, true... in GS2. But he posted a GS1 script and I responded with a GS1 solution. In GS1, triggeraction is the most sensible solution.

Andy0687
03-08-2007, 11:21 PM
== is not required.
= works just fine.

Thats really bad advice and a horrible habit to get into because it wont work as expected in any other language.

The question has been answered id like to hear from him again to see if he managed to fix it with the advice he was given.

MrAnonymous_P2P
03-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Ok so first off thanks for all the help I did manage to solve it a different way.

I simply made the moving character drop the image of a stair case.(So it made it look like in magically appeared. The staircase had its own script with a drawunderplayer function and the player can now advance to the next level.

I couldn't quite figure out the trigger action function because I don't see how you use x,y coordinates to make an npc dissapear :( Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. If someone could please correct what I have done wrong it would be a great learning experience for me :)

Kristi
03-09-2007, 04:24 AM
True, true... in GS2. But he posted a GS1 script and I responded with a GS1 solution. In GS1, triggeraction is the most sensible solution.

no, in gs1, saying save[0] = 1 will treat save as a global clientside array, all npcs clientside will be able to access save. if you said this.save, then it would be local, however, in gs1 clientside you cant have this.arrays, (last time i checked)

since this. was not use, the save[] array is accessable by all npcs on the clientside. Stop saying I am wrong when I am right please ^_^

Andy0687
03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I couldn't quite figure out the trigger action function because I don't see how you use x,y coordinates to make an npc dissapear :( Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. If someone could please correct what I have done wrong it would be a great learning experience for me :)

The NPCs you have on the level work fine using the triggeraction you have. After correcting the right npc (which didnt have a triggeraction) the door dissapeared after moving both of them.

Maybe you were just getting impaitent but you had to wait 10 seconds (sleep 10;) before the triggeraction would happen.

Crow
03-09-2007, 09:01 PM
== is not required.
= works just fine.

If you only check for single things, yes. If you want to do something like:

if (this.blah == 1 || this.blöh = 2)

You will need ==. A single = wont work here.

napo_p2p
03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
If you only check for single things, yes.

No matter what, do not use = for comparing things...

MrAnonymous_P2P
03-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Does triggeraction work in gs2? Its not working for me in this script

function OnCreated() {

TRIGGERACTION (26.5,-4,hide,1);

}

xXziroXx
03-20-2007, 04:31 AM

function OnCreated() {

}

Your styling is horrible.. also, hide is text thus it should be wrapped in quotes. Right now its set to 0 since it thinks its a variable named "hide".

And hide == 0

function onCreated() triggerAction(26.5, -4, "hide", 1);

Twinny
03-20-2007, 06:37 AM

function OnCreated() {

}

As Ziro said, always place words in a string unless it's relating to an object. For instance, triggeraction(mousex, mousey, "fruit", "apples");

compared to
triggeraction(mousex, mousey, "owies", player.account, player.level.name);

Angel_Light
03-20-2007, 02:13 PM

wouldnt it be

if (save[1]) {hide;}

Since the if operations checks for true and false or

since "=" is assign" and "==" is equals.

Twinny
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
since "=" is assign" and "==" is equals.

Technically both will work but Kristi and Novo will hunt you with Tomahawks if you test with =.

[Edit]: haha i frigged this one up

Crow
03-20-2007, 03:42 PM
No matter what, do not use = for comparing things...

I dont do that, I just wanted to say that it works for single checks.

Angel_Light
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
[Edit]: haha i frigged this one up
wth?

Twinny
03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
wth?

I messed up what I said so i changed it. You may have noticed Skyld's deleted post underneath with "Corrected".