PDA

View Full Version : GScript Wiki

Skyld
01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
As a more in-depth scripting resource than the GraalBible, I have created a GScript-specific wiki. It aims to provide a more detailed, organised and human set of documents related to the scripting engine. I hope to provide more PHP Manual-like documentation. The wiki is hosted on my VIP space: http://skyld.vip.graal.net/.

This is far from complete. Therefore, it would be nice if you would contribute some of your knowledge (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=Contribute) in order to create a more complete set of documents.

Page index (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=PageIndex)

Quick category links:

Events (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryEvent)
All functions (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryFunction)
Clientside functions (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryFunctionClientside)
Serverside functions (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryFunctionServerside)
Object functions (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryObjectFunction)
Variable prefixes (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryVariablePrefix)

I would like to remind people that there is still much to be documented and that any help in doing so would be appreciated.

coreys
01-04-2007, 03:07 AM
omg I love you.

Skyld
01-04-2007, 03:08 AM
omg I love you.
Then help it out. :)

coreys
01-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Then help it out. :)

I dunno if I'm smart enough. ;(

Zanzel
01-04-2007, 04:49 AM
This will definatley be handy..
I would help out If I knew alot of GS2 but I am still
getting into it -.-'

Twinny
01-04-2007, 05:10 AM
Haha damn! You got your wiki up before mine ^^.

Ahh well.. I'll get mine running and it will have a diffferent approach :) .

Falcor
01-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Finally a wiki that isn't a wanna-be wikipedia for Graal! I welcome this effort, and if I find something to add, I'll add it. I was thinking of doing this, but I'm glad someone has more patience than me XD

Skyld
01-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I dunno if I'm smart enough. ;(
Well if you know how some functions work, or some events, etc, then you know enough to add to it. ^^

Chompy
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Really nice!

xXziroXx
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Thumbs up Skyld, I'll do my best to contribute!

Skyld
01-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Started to add more referential material (for example, information on sendtext/requesttext (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=ServerRequestData)) and will start to add more detailed documentation on things.

Things like functions and events still need documenting, so contribute your knowledge!

Andy0687
01-20-2007, 03:26 AM
Started to add more referential material (for example, information on sendtext/requesttext (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=ServerRequestData)) and will start to add more detailed documentation on things.

Things like functions and events still need documenting, so contribute your knowledge!

Does this sound wrong of me that I dont know how to add a new page :(?

Never done this before, but I want to start helping :p

Chandler
01-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Curiosity question!

requesttext("weaponlist", NULL); - retrieves the weapon list from the server (Client-RC)

With such commands, does this mean you can only retrieve this list if you're using Client-RC? How would one detect the use of Client-RC if so?

Skyld
01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Does this sound wrong of me that I dont know how to add a new page :(?

Never done this before, but I want to start helping :p
Just edit the URL to point to the new page that you're making by changing the name after ?wakka=.

Edit: I added a new box on the homepage to allow the easy creation of pages. :)
With such commands, does this mean you can only retrieve this list if you're using Client-RC? How would one detect the use of Client-RC if so?
I think most of these will only work if you have Client-RC enabled. Simply speaking before you can use Client-RC, you must try and open a session:
requesttext("clientrc", 1);
If you are successfully connected to Client-RC, you'll get a response back:
function onReceiveText(temp.texttype, temp.textoption, temp.textlines)
{
switch (temp.texttype)
{
case "clientrc":
{
if (temp.textoption == 1)
{
// clientrc is working
}
else
{
// clientrc is not working; the error is sent in temp.textlines
}

break;
}
}
}

Skyld
01-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Updated some things recently:

Added a small navigation box on the homepage to take you to major sections in the Wiki. When there are more articles available, I will work on constructing more detailed index pages with lists of things and short descriptions, instead of relying on the category system for finding everything.

Added quite a few new articles, and also edited some older ones in order to provide more information.

Pretty much, what's needed:

More information being added to the existing pages, which will help people better understand and use functionality, for example, more details and examples being put into the Notes section of pages.
New pages containing information about functions, events, variables and such which have not yet been documented. In order to create a complete resource, more things must be documented!
Reference materials and tutorials which will walk people through basic scripting stepping stones, and explain more advanced functionality to those who are more competent.

See here (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=Contribute) for information on contributing.

So far, a large amount of the documentation has been written by myself. It would be nice to see some other scripters in the community contributing; it would be appreciated, since lacking documentation is what people complain most about!

Chompy
01-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice updates :D

Skyld
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Finally got around to adding a more useful page index (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=PageIndex), which provides a list of relevant documents on the wiki (commands, events, references, etc) and short descriptions to make finding documents easier. I am not certain as to whether this would be a better homepage or not.

Twinny
02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
That homepage could be a bit confusing to new people. Atleast it isn't automatically updated ^^.

Perhaps a lovely "New people click here!" link ^^.

Skyld
02-01-2007, 08:47 PM
That homepage could be a bit confusing to new people. Atleast it isn't automatically updated ^^.

Perhaps a search feature and a lovely "New people click here!" link ^^.
Well, this isn't the current homepage. I wasn't sure if it would be a sensible idea editing something like this into the homepage (http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage) or not, however I felt it was necessary to have a more useful index to accompany the category system.

Chandler
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Let's contribute together!
http://skyld.vip.graal.net/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryCompletedCode

Skyld
03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
There are a lot of people here that know enough to contribute; it would be nice to see some people doing so! A lot of the documents that are in place can be expanded on with more behavioural details or examples, and people can feel free to add other scripting articles/pages related to functions, etc.

Pelikano
11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but none of those links work for me :o

Twinny
11-16-2008, 11:01 AM
The wiki has been gone for a while now so all you have left is the graal bible (http://wiki.graal.net) and my pile of poo website (http://gs2.graalstudios.com)

Raeiphon
11-16-2008, 02:30 PM
A damn shame.

I accredit this ex-wiki to being the staple source I used when I was learning the basics and the nuances of GS2.

I wish it was still here, so I could use it to relearn them again.

RIP.

Deas_Voice
11-16-2008, 03:50 PM
why not get a free webhost and upload it again?
:p

Soala
11-16-2008, 05:33 PM
what the hell, wiki's are better :frown: !

Why is it gone by the way?

Deas_Voice
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
what the hell, wiki's are better :frown: !

Why is it gone by the way?

it was a vip.graal host,
CJ removed VIP hosts, so no more skyld wiki

Codein
11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I've got a good free webhost. If we could get a team of developers interested, I'll set a wiki up. If anyone's interested in helping me out, PM me or contact me on AIM or MSN.

Twinny
11-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I could have sworn by sig has, "get a free webhost!" in it for a year plus now :p

Loriel
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I could have sworn by sig has, "get a free webhost!" in it for a year plus now :p

If Skyld wanted to continue the thing he could have run it on the former graal wiki host.

Skyld
11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
I shall see about getting a backup of the SQL database and the wikka files and perhaps someone can reupload it somewhere new, if unixmad has kept backups of it.

Codein
11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I shall see about getting a backup of the SQL database and the wikka files and perhaps someone can reupload it somewhere new, if unixmad has kept backups of it.

That would be great :D

Deas_Voice
11-18-2008, 03:35 PM
yes that would be great :D

Pelikano
12-04-2008, 12:20 PM
So.... :D?

DrakilorP2P
12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Skyl'ds wiki pwnd bring eit backk

Deas_Voice
12-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Skyl'ds wiki pwnd bring eit backk

/agreed

any progress?

LoneAngelIbesu
12-04-2008, 11:33 PM
/agreed

any progress?

If Unixmad made any backups, I am a domain I can host it on to. I set up WikkaWikki on it today, actually. I'm able to access some pages through the Internet Archive, but not everything, so a backup of Skyld's wiki would be neat.

Codein
12-04-2008, 11:39 PM
If Unixmad made any backups, I am a domain I can host it on to. I set up WikkaWikki on it today, actually. I'm able to access some pages through the Internet Archive, but not everything, so a backup of Skyld's wiki would be neat.

If we can't get a back up, we can always start a fresh. I know a few people who are intereated in contributing.

LoneAngelIbesu
12-04-2008, 11:41 PM
If we can't get a back up, we can always start a fresh. I know a few people who are intereated in contributing.

I sent a PM to Darlene, asking permission to post the URL. I could always post it in the Lounge, though, first. :)

Codein
12-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I sent a PM to Darlene, asking permission to post the URL. I could always post it in the Lounge, though, first. :)

PM me the URL :)

I'm hoping to get this show on the road A.S.A.P.

LoneAngelIbesu
12-05-2008, 12:20 AM
The link is now in my signature. People are free to register and contribute as they wish. I have set up the same category system as Skyld's wiki, for convenience and such. Check the category "CategoryWiki" for a page called "FormattingRules" to see how formatting works on WikkaWiki.

^^

LoneAngelIbesu
12-05-2008, 12:21 AM
The link is now in my signature. People are free to register and contribute as they wish. I have set up the same category system as Skyld's wiki, for convenience and such. Check the category "CategoryWiki" for a page called "FormattingRules" to see how formatting works on WikkaWiki.

^^

xXziroXx
12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I'd rather build onto the Graal bible, I don't see a point in reinventing the wheel.

LoneAngelIbesu
12-05-2008, 01:03 AM
I'd rather build onto the Graal bible, I don't see a point in reinventing the wheel.

The Graal Bible is a) unorganized and b) not free. Two reasons that are good enough for me.

Inverness
12-05-2008, 03:12 AM
We don't need two wikis. Find a way to get access to Graal Bible without paying since you don't want to do that.

xXziroXx
12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
We don't need two wikis. Find a way to get access to Graal Bible without paying since you don't want to do that.

Exactly. Another, inofficial wiki, would create even more inconsistency around Graal.

Seriously, you're able to edit the wiki to suit your needs, so do it. If you don't have access, start trying to convince Stefan to give non-Gold accounts access.

Loriel
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah inofficial wikis are the worst idea ever

believe me

LoneAngelIbesu
12-06-2008, 12:12 AM
If people don't want to use the wiki that I've set up, then they don't have to. Continue to use the Graal Bible. I find it incredibly funny that people against other wikis say that we should just make the Graal Bible better, when they can be doing just that at any time, yet aren't.

As far as I'm concerned, Skyld's GScript Wiki was an infinitely better learning tool than the Graal Bible. That's what I'm trying to recreate right now, so that new developers can have the same tool that I had when I was learning. I'm not going to wait however many months it's going to take to gain access to a wiki that should be free in the first place, when I have the resources to recreate the GScript Wiki today.

xXziroXx
12-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I find it incredibly funny that people against other wikis say that we should just make the Graal Bible better, when they can be doing just that at any time, yet aren't,

I'd be willing to bet that I've contributed a heck of a lot more to the Graal Bible, or even Skyld's wiki, then you have.

LoneAngelIbesu
12-06-2008, 01:26 AM
I'd be willing to bet that I've contributed a heck of a lot more to the Graal Bible, or even Skyld's wiki, then you have.
That's true, but I wasn't contesting who's contributed what and how much. :)

Tigairius
12-06-2008, 01:30 AM
give non-Gold accounts access.

The only way that would work out, in my opinion, would be to hire a few wiki moderators to keep people from posting bad things & ban wiki accounts.

xXziroXx
12-06-2008, 02:03 AM
The only way that would work out, in my opinion, would be to hire a few wiki moderators to keep people from posting bad things & ban wiki accounts.

Beats having two wikis any day.

LoneAngelIbesu
12-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Beats having two wikis any day.
It's not really "having two wikis", in the sense of redundancy. A wiki solely for GScript is bound to be superior to one that's about 100 different topics, from quality of content, to ease of navigation.

The "documentation" on the Graal Bible is really just a reference book for people that already know what they're doing, and know how to navigate through that wiki. It's useful to have, for example, just a list of clientside functions, instead of having to go through a clientside function category to find the one page that has the function you need. New scripters, though, need a full page explanation.

The GScript wiki is for all scripters, old and new, who need thoroughly explained examples of how to use certain functions, language constructs, etc. This is why Skyld created his wiki in the first place, if I'm not mistaken.

Inverness
12-06-2008, 03:18 AM
So who's asked Stefan about giving access to classic accounts?

LoneAngelIbesu
12-06-2008, 03:30 AM
So who's asked Stefan about giving access to classic accounts?

There was a topic about it somewhere...

LoneAngelIbesu
12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Update: there was a problem with the server that I was hosted on. The wiki should be back up within 24 hours, if no data has been deleted. I wasn't able to create a back up, so there's no guarantee.

Crow
12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
The "documentation" on the Graal Bible is really just a reference book for people that already know what they're doing, and know how to navigate through that wiki.

You might be right about that. But I think this is the same for every coding language. You need to learn the basics, and then you just need a manual/documentation and maybe a little help with weird problems here and there.
The Graal Bible is the documentation of basically everything. What you want to do is explain everything even more, to "help newbies". I don't even think it helps them. If you want to help people who are new to coding, teach them the basics, and make them get used to using the manual(s).

LoneAngelIbesu
12-07-2008, 02:31 AM
You might be right about that. But I think this is the same for every coding language. You need to learn the basics, and then you just need a manual/documentation and maybe a little help with weird problems here and there.

The Graal Bible is the documentation of basically everything. What you want to do is explain everything even more, to "help newbies". I don't even think it helps them. If you want to help people who are new to coding, teach them the basics, and make them get used to using the manual(s).

I think that's rather ridiculous. I have things to get done, and sitting around and teaching people all day, when they can teach themselves, is not one of them. When I was first learning GS2, Inverness pointed me to the Graal Bible. The only thing it helped for was GUIs. I found Skyld's wiki on the GScript page, and it was that wiki which provided the best information for me.

When I learning PHP, I used separate websites that gave in-depth explanations and examples. Now that I have a good handle on it, I simply use PHP's online reference (which is just a list of functions and an explanation of their parameters, etc). The same applies to GS2, really.

Crow
12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I think that's rather ridiculous. I have things to get done, and sitting around and teaching people all day, when they can teach themselves, is not one of them. When I was first learning GS2, Inverness pointed me to the Graal Bible. The only thing it helped for was GUIs. I found Skyld's wiki on the GScript page, and it was that wiki which provided the best information for me.

When I learning PHP, I used separate websites that gave in-depth explanations and examples. Now that I have a good handle on it, I simply use PHP's online reference (which is just a list of functions and an explanation of their parameters, etc). The same applies to GS2, really.

You don't have to personally teach them. You can use your wiki, or the Graal Bible.

Pelikano
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Crow is right.
Somehow. :P

thatdwarf
12-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Basically I am just curious as to if there is an easier way to do:

function onActionServerSide() {
if(params[0] == "save") {
findplayer(params[1]).clientr.var = params[2];
}
}

//#CLIENTSIDE
function onSomeEvent() {
triggerServer("gui", this.name, "save", player.account, somevalue);
}

Sorry it's such a short post.
Thanks!

xXziroXx
12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Basically I am just curious as to if there is an easier way to do

Afraid not.

LoneAngelIbesu
12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Basically I am just curious as to if there is an easier way to do:

There's a way to write it as:

function onCreated() {
// Not needed if you don't plan on triggering a clientside function
join("triggerclass");
}
function someOtherFunction(acct, val) {
findplayer(acct).clientr.var = val;
}
//#CLIENTSIDE
function onCreated() {
join("triggerclass");
}
function someFunction() {
serverfunction2(null, "someOtherFunction", player.account, val);
}
with Inverness' class (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73564), but it's pretty much the same thing; not sure if it's any easier. I prefer to use the class, because I hate working with cluttered onActionServerside()'s.

xXziroXx
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Why the hell are you joining a class to the same weapon twice?

If a class has a serversided part, join it on serverside. Otherwise, join it on serverside or clientside, doesn't matter.

You really shouldn't join the same class twice to a weapon though, not that it would break it, but it looks retarded.

Inverness
12-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Otherwise, join it on serverside or clientside, doesn't matter.I'm sure you know that joining it clientside won't join it do the serverside too.

thatdwarf
12-13-2008, 07:43 AM
I just realized I posted this in the Gscript Wiki thread....woops :P

Anyways, thanks for your help guys :D

xXziroXx
12-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm sure you know that joining it clientside won't join it do the serverside too.

Which is why I said to join it on serverside if it have a serversided part in the class. :oo:

Pelikano
12-13-2008, 08:41 PM
LOL
This is the greates offtopic-chat I've ever seen lmao

LoneAngelIbesu
12-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Which is why I said to join it on serverside if it have a serversided part in the class. :oo:

Which is why I said "// Not needed if you don't plan on triggering a clientside function ". ;)

xXziroXx
12-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Which is why I said "// Not needed if you don't plan on triggering a clientside function ". ;)

I KNEW THAT, stop harassing me ffs! :cry:

Skyld
01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Since I've been unable to get a copy of the old MySQL database from the old GScript Wiki, I have decided to restart the project from scratch. I have installed a new Wikka installation at http://wiki.graal.us/.

This means I need your help. If you've got any knowledge about GScript, please register on the wiki and contribute it. There's some information on the Warboard (http://wiki.graal.us/Warboard) which explains how you can help, and links to the category pages and template pages which you should use.

If you've got any questions, please post them here. Thanks!

edit: new link: http://wiki.graal.us/

LoneAngelIbesu
01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Since I've been unable to get a copy of the old MySQL database from the old GScript Wiki, I have decided to restart the project from scratch. I have installed a new Wikka installation at http://londeroth.org/~skyld/.

This means I need your help. If you've got any knowledge about GScript, please register on the wiki and contribute it. There's some information on the Warboard (http://londeroth.org/~skyld/Warboard) which explains how you can help, and links to the category pages and template pages which you should use.

Just in time for the database over at gs.iamcosmouse.com to go bust. The WayBack Machine (google it) has got a pretty good archive of the old GScript Wiki, though it's not all accessible.

Edit: Looks like some permissions might be set wrong. I registered, but can't edit anything.

Skyld
01-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Just in time for the database over at gs.iamcosmouse.com to go bust. The WayBack Machine (google it) has got a pretty good archive of the old GScript Wiki, though it's not all accessible.
I've got Stefan on a mission to try and find my old database, so if he can, I'll set it up on my computer and then copy across the old pages, fixing the formatting.
Edit: Looks like some permissions might be set wrong. I registered, but can't edit anything.
Fixed. :) I accidentally broke the default ACL when moving to wiki.graal.us (brought back an old wikka.config.php).

Codein
01-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Since I've been unable to get a copy of the old MySQL database from the old GScript Wiki, I have decided to restart the project from scratch. I have installed a new Wikka installation at http://wiki.graal.us/.

This means I need your help. If you've got any knowledge about GScript, please register on the wiki and contribute it. There's some information on the Warboard (http://wiki.graal.us/Warboard) which explains how you can help, and links to the category pages and template pages which you should use.

edit: new link: http://wiki.graal.us/

Man, if only I could rep++ you :(

Chompy
01-11-2009, 12:19 AM
I really like this wiki :) I've contributed some pages :p

Skyld
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I have updated the wiki software on http://wiki.graal.us/ to the most recent version, please let me know if there are any issues. Also try using the 'light' theme in UserSettings and see if you prefer it; I might change the default theme sometime.

Edit: Applied the light theme anyway, use the UserSettings page to set it back to 'default' if you don't like it.

adam
04-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks Skyld, very nice.

Matt
05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Looks good. ^^

Skyld
06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I added a new theme to the wiki aimed at iPhone and iPod touch users so that you can read the wiki and quickly flick through stuff without having to constantly zoom in and out and left and right. :) Just point Safari on your device to http://wiki.graal.us/ as normal and the new theme should automatically appear.

The theme is also selectable from your UserSettings page, so if you want to try it on any other devices and let me know how it works, feel free and I might be able to add the browser detection so that other devices use that same theme. :)

Switch
06-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I added a new theme to the wiki aimed at iPhone and iPod touch users so that you can read the wiki and quickly flick through stuff without having to constantly zoom in and out and left and right. :) Just point Safari on your device to http://wiki.graal.us/ as normal and the new theme should automatically appear.

The theme is also selectable from your UserSettings page, so if you want to try it on any other devices and let me know how it works, feel free and I might be able to add the browser detection so that other devices use that same theme. :)

Your service bars wet progressively down. :)

cbk1994
06-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Interesting, but I can't imagine it ever being used (the iPhone theme).

Soala
06-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Interesting, but I can't imagine it ever being used (the iPhone theme).

I often go on it with my iPhone to randomly read some stuff that could be useful to me in the future, and this theme makes everything easier to read :)

Darkrazor
06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
That iphone theme will hugely help me out :) i use iphone regulary for the wiki myself aswell and would make things a lot easier to read for me ;)