PDA

View Full Version : Joypad support

Demisis_P2P
11-15-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm using a PS2 controller to play Graal but there are still quite a lot of issues with it.

My biggest issue is that I can't strafe on Era. The system was recently just changed to make the strafe hotkey definable by the players, but it uses KeyPressed. Even if I set it to 'Button1' it won't work with my joypad.
If the script was changed to ButtonPressed instead of KeyPressed (since I gather that keys = keyboard keys, while buttons = graal buttons) would it be possible to configure a hotkey to a joypad button? The problem that exists then is that other people can't use non-button keys. (I tried setting the hotkey to 'p' and then using the joypad button that I had set to 'p' aswell, and it didn't work.)

Also, since I'm using a PS2 controller and the right analogue stick has no real function, would it be possible to script it to act as a mouse and have button 12 (when you press the analogue stick in) to act as a mouse click? (So that I can change weapons and such with scripted inventories.)

It's also not possible to remove button completely in the Controls -> Change Keys menu with a joypad. You just need to try and put it on an out-of-the-way button if you don't want that function. And it's not possible to have the same funtion on two different buttons (since there is only one column for for joypads).

I just feel like as though since Graal is derived from a console game, it should have more support for game controllers.

Admins
11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Will try to make it better configurable in the next version, also allowing using different/new keys by playerworlds.
On Zone we have made it so that you can strafe with either shift or Pause key, may be Era could do something similar.

Demisis_P2P
11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Will try to make it better configurable in the next version, also allowing using different/new keys by playerworlds.
On Zone we have made it so that you can strafe with either shift or Pause key, may be Era could do something similar.
On Era you can set whatever key you want with a new command. Only problem is that it's not possible to set it to a key on a joypad.

I tried to bypass it by setting it to "button1" but the script uses KeyPressed and doesn't recognise button1 as a valid key.
Maybe it happens because of the difference in the way that Graal handles KeyPressed and ButtonPressed?

Admins
11-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Well they would need to use the keydown() function instead of onKeypressed for that case

ryu_no_bishie
11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
this is because the joystick support is crap,
the only reall way to play graal with a joypad is a special software, just type in joy2key english into google and click im feeling lucky

also, do you care if I upload your body on Graal X?

Yen
11-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, I really doubt servers want to rescript every 'onKeyPressed' event to be usable with a joypad.

Your best bet is to find a program that will route your joypad's buttons to keys on the keyboard.
i.e. pressing joypad button 1 is the same as hitting the 'a' key

excaliber7388
11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
It would be better if graal could edit its controls internally.

xAndrewx
11-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Demisis, we'll debug it soon. =]
Thanks for the replys