PDA

View Full Version : Put a stop to ridiculous RP events

Googi
09-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Staff have been holding RP events where they "judge" who is doing the "best" roleplaying. The fact is that RPing is a simple concept and so long as a few basic rules are followed, nobody RPs "better" than anybody else. As a result, "whoever RPs the best" becomes "whoever grandstands the most", which encourages elitism. An RP event should be an event where you are disqualified for RPing poorly, but where there is still a clear objective to be achieved and the first person to achieve that objective is the clear winner.

Draenin
09-18-2006, 01:03 AM
I agree. I was disgusted with the behaviour of people during today's event because they knew an item was in store.

MasterNuke
09-18-2006, 01:36 AM
RP events should consist of people roleplaying and at the end, everyone gets one event coin and good roleplayers get an additional event coin.

But, I figure most EMs don't have the resources to give that much out.

Googi
09-18-2006, 01:47 AM
RP events should consist of people roleplaying and at the end, everyone gets one event coin and good roleplayers get an additional event coin.

But, I figure most EMs don't have the resources to give that much out.

And it would be deflationary.

AlaricoMontario
09-18-2006, 04:08 AM
And it would be deflationary.
Good.

Knock the elitists down a notch.

Draenin
09-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Good.

Knock the elitists down a notch.Not all people who have advantages are elitists.

Googi
09-18-2006, 04:30 AM
Not all people who have advantages are elitists.

And for sure not all people who have ECs and items made with them are elitists.

Zero Hour
09-18-2006, 05:05 AM
The whole concept of RP on GK is a far cry from anything worth participating in, anyways.

sage_scooby
09-18-2006, 05:26 AM
For the most part ( I hate to say it being an EM. ) arent most "RPs' on Gk for events just pointless and have no real meaning to Gk. I figure the Rp should have a goal. The person getting to the goal first wins. That way RP is used to gain knowledge needed to get to the goal. People not really RPing could easily be weeded out.

lordbosh
09-18-2006, 05:46 AM
you could give out 50000 event coins to each person and i would still be just as rich.

CidNight1142
09-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Kingdoms is a very hard place to RP. Mostly because too much is given to you. It's been my experience that roleplaying flourishes the most in an environment where you have to use your imagination. There's a reason why Dungeons and Dragons, where it's just you, your friends, and a piece of paper is still the place where you'll find some of the best roleplay. This is also probably the reason why RP flourished in 2k1 as opposed to 2k2.

An opposite argument might argue that Kingdoms doesn't have enough variety. If there was enough content to truly individualize characters, I suppose RP could happen more easily. Everyone wearing PMoPs and FHoMs doesn't exactly encourage good stories.

Googi
09-18-2006, 07:01 AM
This is also probably the reason why RP flourished in 2k1 as opposed to 2k2.

I don't see how more is "given to you" on 2K2 than on 2K1.

CidNight1142
09-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't see how more is "given to you" on 2K2 than on 2K1.
I just mean that you have more equipment choices. More stats. Less is left to the imagination.

Damix2
09-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Roleplaying didn't flourish on 2k1 either... don't let nostalgia cloud your vision.

And as much as we want it to be, GK won't be a roleplaying game. People are having pathetic attempts at roleplaying just for an item, so they can get better at the PvP aspect of the game.

Draenin
09-18-2006, 08:15 AM
And as much as we want it to be, GK won't be a roleplaying game. People are having pathetic attempts at roleplaying just for an item, so they can get better at the PvP aspect of the game.That's exactly why I've been pretty disgusted at it.

Googi
09-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Roleplaying didn't flourish on 2k1 either... don't let nostalgia cloud your vision.

There would generally be one to three kingdom clashes per week.

lordbosh
09-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I've always enjoyed roleplaying a character out in a game. I usually dont attend an event for the items anymore either. If it isnt something 1-5 of a kind and useful i probably will just bury or hide it somewhere for a newb to dig or pick up.

Ravenblade1979
09-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Alright let me break down my rp events. 15% actually roleplay, 50% just stand there pming me asking me what they should say and the rest are just along for the prize. I actually liked it when I had the good rpers in my rp events.

Yes my last one sucked but my mind kinda wandered. I have started a new system for handing out prizes. Basically anyone left comes with me to hotaru where i will raffle off prizes including the big one the story is based on. And before you ppl talk down about my rping stuff..most of you joined just to get the prizes. You complained because the havoks were wc havoks and not ac. who cares a prize is a prize. If your that power hungry then don't join my damn event and get your own.

I am nice enough to ask sam for items not in my em bag normally and he is nice enough to give em. I don't have to get this stuff. I can just do a rp event for plat if I want too but figure I should be nice and have a nice grand prize.

Plain in simple in the future if you join you do it for purely the rp experience. If you join just for the prize you will not take part in my event. I am sick of people complaining and you Bosh of all people shouldn't complain. You have everything that people want and probably more.

I am done with this now and won't post or look at this topic anymore. I have said what I needed to say.

Googi
09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes my last one sucked

And also all the other ones.

Sam
09-18-2006, 11:57 PM
I decided to stop RP events for the moment. EM's can do the given events. We will have some bigger events a year (3 or 4) for bigger items (like a shield or a sword).
There is no need to bash or provoke any EM for trying to entertain you.
Thread closed.