PDA

View Full Version : False positives on hack/cheat detection

Googi
08-28-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't know whether this is a true "v4 bug" or whether it's some kind of RC or server bug, but it seems that Graal (or at the very least, 2K2) is now assuming that if you are running anything programmed in AutoIT, you must be running an automation macro on Graal. Except that doing so amounts to banning an entire programming language. I got disconnected from 2K2 (and presumably logged) for using AutoIT Window Info while running Graal at the same time. I wasn't even using AutoIT Window Info for Graal-related purposes, and AutoIT Window Info is not an automation macro nor is there any possible way I can think of that it could be directly used to automate any Graal tasks or to cheat in any other way on Graal (although, admittedly, I suppose it could be used to collect window information that might have some kind of application in the creation of automation macros for Graal).

Surely there's got to be a better way to go about detecting people using AutoIT macros on Graal. For example, chances are that they're going to have Graal as their active window for a continuous and fairly extensive period of time while the AutoIT program is running. Wouldn't it make more sense to only take action after, say, 10 minutes has passed with the program running and with Graal as the active window. (Obviously, it would be easy for hardcore macroers to find a way around this, but it would still be a good general direction to go in).

Crono
08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Surely there's got to be a better way to go about detecting people using AutoIT macros on Graal.

I agree.

Many people were banned on Era for having programs like artmoney and such open.

Hehe, I bet unixmad's response would be:

"So is carrying a gun should be legal while not used in a country where gun is illegal to use?"

Which is a tricky one. :(

Admins
08-28-2006, 11:47 PM
AutoIt was in the cheatwindows list of several servers, that's why I had copied it to the global cheatwindows list. I didn't know what program it exactly is, I have removed it for now.

KuJi
08-29-2006, 12:13 AM
I got a friend to get me this list, can anyone add onto my list please :P

-removed by Stefan-

Chris
08-29-2006, 12:38 AM
KuJi.. Why make that list public? The less programs listed potential cheaters know, the better. x_x

Admins
08-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Yes such a list should not be published on the forums x-x
It is actually not necessary for playerworlds to specify the cheatwindows anymore, the new check in v4.1 is done more efficient / more often. Contact me if you need a new program added.

KuJi
08-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Woops? :(.

So we don't need to even have that in the ops?

I also have noticed older versions of programs are not detected.

JkWhoSaysNi
08-29-2006, 02:18 AM
As someone who's done a fair bit of windows API programming regarding interacting with other windows I can tell you that if all it does is check the titles of the windows there are a whole bunch of ways of getting around it.

Whether or not any wannabe hackers using trainers and such by someone else would be smart enough to actually be able to bypass it is unlikely though.

Googi
08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
if all it does is check the titles of the windows there are a whole bunch of ways of getting around it.

AutoIT macros (although not AutoIT Window Info) don't have windows but instead run from the system tray. But yeah, the guys making trainers will probably start disguising their windows as IE windows or something pretty soon.

Chris
08-29-2006, 04:43 AM
AutoIT macros (although not AutoIT Window Info) don't have windows but instead run from the system tray. But yeah, the guys making trainers will probably start disguising their windows as IE windows or something pretty soon.
You had to have done something else to cause the detection. I have AutoIT and have used them recently to test things and I've yet to be detected.

Magadal
08-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Stefan? You didnt even know what AutoIT does?WTF?