PDA

View Full Version : Another 64-bit support thread

xekueins
06-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Well after running a search here for 64-bit OS related problems, I still never found a solution to mine. I am running an Intel Pentium 4 630 with EM64T technology, and legit copy of Windows XP 64-bit Addition.

The problem is that I can not run the Graal 4 setup. When running the setup, the Graal4setup.exe task appears in my task manager only momentarily, then promptly dissapears. I recieve no error messages or dialogue boxes, but the FILENAMECHACHE.txt file does appear on my desktop.

In past threads, users suggested that the program be run in compatability mode under an older version of Windows. This is the reaction I get for each:

Windows 95: Warning dialogue box - "The Graal execution file is corrupted. Please check for viruses or other programs that manipulate *.exe files (virus checker, drivespace,...)!"

Windows 98 / Windows Me: Warning dialogue box - "The Graal execution file is corrupted. Please check for viruses or other programs that manipulate *.exe files (virus checker, drivespace,...)!"

Windows NT 4.0 (Service pack 5): Nothing.

Windows 2000: Nothing.

Windows XP: Nothing.

Do note that I have downloaded the setup program several times, and I have been trying to get it to run through the past few months. It is crucial that I get it working now because my friends have recently purchased a playerworld, and I need to be able to log onto it for development purposes.

I have also tried extracting the program files onto my other 32-bit PC, then brought them over via a network shared folder. I had the same problem when attempting to run the game itself. If I have not provided enough information to solve my problem, please ask; thanks.

Admins
06-29-2006, 06:32 PM
That message about "Graal execution file is corrupted" is displayed when the checksum of the exe is wrong, probably Windows tries to insert something into the exe, which Graal doesn't allow.
It also checks at runtime if programs try to modify the Graal.exe memory, that might be the reason for the disappearing problem, would need to test it myself on a 64 bit Windows though to be able to fix it.

ReBorn_Spirit
07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
I believe the windows 64 bit edition is attempting to modify the exe to run with its custom emulator, to optimize performance. Windows 64 bit is not a true 32 bit application environment, it literally uses an emulator for all 32 bit programs, this is why your 32 bit drivers DO NOT WORK. They dont work because they are trying to point to 64 bit applications that they just cannot understand, and the emulator isnt doing all the translations for the drivers to actually run.

There is only 2 options that can be done to fix all this with the 64 bit edition, either recompiling graal4 for 64 bit, making a special version like linux (could run a basic linux emulator for the 64 bit windows and run the linux graal4 in windows maybe).

Or you get a different OS that can run the 32 bit application for graal. 64bit is still not supported in linux either, when you install it, graal installer screws up your linux distro's core files a bit. It still runs but you cant really repair some of it unless your a linux expert.

Admins
07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
You can run 32bit programs without problems on a 64 bit CPU, the problem is that the 32 bit programs are linked against 32bit versions of the system libraries, so you either need those or some "translation" system from 32bit to 64bit-dlls. From what I have heard is that you can run Graal on 64bit-Linux, you need the 32bit-compatibility libraries.

ReBorn_Spirit
07-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes you can run graal4 on 64bit linux, IF and only if it doesnt kill your one and only package installer. But even if it does that you can still play graal, just cant update anything until you fix the package installer that graal4 auto(killed)installed for you.