PDA

View Full Version : Shuriken gfx

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 01:29 AM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2756/shuriken9id.png
well, I came up with this. It would be a cool weapon.

VulcanP2P
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/686/shuriken8si.png
well, I came up with this. It would be a cool weapon.

That's pretty cool. Could you rotate it and add a few more sprites so it will look nice animated?

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 01:33 AM
That's what I thought of, it's hard to rotate, it always comes out looking deformed.

MisterMastermind
06-22-2006, 01:49 AM
That's what I thought of, it's hard to rotate, it always comes out looking deformed.
The re-make it at a different angle and continue...

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 01:52 AM
The re-make it at a different angle and continue...
i'm currently doing that.. it's hard.... I'll get there eventually though...
okay, here's v1:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8092/shuriken7ut.png
it looks good if each frame is 0.05 secs apart.
slower than that, like 0.1 it looks a little off, tell me if I should fix it. I'll make it rotate better if I have to.

MisterMastermind
06-22-2006, 06:20 AM
i'm currently doing that.. it's hard.... I'll get there eventually though...
okay, here's v1:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8092/shuriken7ut.png
it looks good if each frame is 0.05 secs apart.
slower than that, like 0.1 it looks a little off, tell me if I should fix it. I'll make it rotate better if I have to.
I like. It doesn't seem fuuristic enough, ask stefan or someone to add some electric particle effects to disable mechs.

haunter
06-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Three of those sprites almost look like they haven't been rotated at all.

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Three of those sprites almost look like they haven't been rotated at all.
it looks rotated when it's animated. it's rotating at 22.5 degrees each time.
I like. It doesn't seem fuuristic enough, ask stefan or someone to add some electric particle effects to disable mechs.
what's so futuristic about the muramasa?

haunter
06-22-2006, 06:51 AM
it looks rotated when it's animated. it's rotating at 22.5 degrees each time.
The 2nd and 4th sprites are practically identical. The first is similar to those, but not entirely. Try replacing the 2nd or 4th with one that's more of a '+' shape.

what's so futuristic about the muramasa?
Katanas are just timeless.

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 06:59 AM
The 2nd and 4th sprites are practically identical. The first is similar to those, but not entirely. Try replacing the 2nd or 4th with one that's more of a '+' shape.

the second and fourth are the same to show what the animation should be like so it goes 1234 reoccuring otherwise it would be 1232 reoccuring. And this shuriken isn't a cross shape at all. and the shuriken is symetrical so it only needs 2 rotated sprites because if I made the rest they would look exactly the same. (rotating 22.5 degrees each time)
I could lower the rotation to 11.025 degrees each one, I think that would double the amount of sprites, and it is probably unneccessary. Yeah and about the katana thing I was just saying, that's not futuristic, nor is the combat knife, why does shuriken have to be futuristic?

haunter
06-22-2006, 07:04 AM
the second and fourth are the same to show what the animation should be like so it goes 1234 reoccuring otherwise it would be 1232 reoccuring. Oh, okay so if it were to be actually used you wouldn't include the 4th sprite in the graphic.

And this shuriken isn't a cross shape at all. You misunderstood me. I meant make a sprite that's positioned like that, with the points pointing straight up/down and left/right.

and the shuriken is symetrical so it only needs 2 rotated sprites
The standard is usually at least 4 frames to make an animation look nice and smooth. It's a good goal to strive for.

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Oh, okay so if it were to be actually used you wouldn't include the 4th sprite in the graphic.
Well, you don't have to.
You misunderstood me. I meant make a sprite that's positioned like that, with the points pointing straight up/down and left/right.
It's impossible with the shape of the shuriken(unless I rotate it 11.025 degrees each time)... Sorry, I can't help you there...
The standard is usually at least 4 frames to make an animation look nice and smooth. It's a good goal to strive for.
Well, it has 3... and four frames of animation. And the shuriken would look like it was spinning slower if I made more frames of rotation(rotating 11.025 for example) because as far as i know there's no way to make an animation that goes at more than 20frames per second in graal... The sleep command can't go lower than 1/20 and nor can timeout and in graal shop the lowest is 0.05 for a frame. So having only four frames seems good enough, I also made a gani to test it, I'll attach it, if you have graal shop you can see what it looks like.
You can download graal shop using updates in graal. the shuriken image has to be in the same folder as graal shop, then you just open the gani using graal shop.

Zulu15
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
If you look at the animation you can see that a blade never goes through or apears to go through the top left corner.

Actualy I looked at it again and I reccomend you make atleast one more sprite of it in about a 75 degree angle to fix this. Too many of the sprites look alike. The change in the angle is minimal.

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
If you look at the animation you can see that a blade never goes through or apears to go through the top left corner.

Actualy I looked at it again and I reccomend you make atleast one more sprite of it in about a 75 degree angle to fix this. Too many of the sprites look alike. The change in the angle is minimal.
Well, like I said, the capabilities of graal; the fastest it can animate is 20 frames per second, by adding more frames it would look bad... If I could double it up and go 40 frames per second, belive me i would put a full roation, and you would be able to see it, it would look very smotth and good animation.
Also, you gotta realize that in-game this will look just fine and it won't matter much because the amount of time you'll be looking at how it's animated is minimal. It will look like someone throwing a shuriken at some one else and it won't look bad, especially with the background of everything around it to make it fit in. Beleive me you wouldn't give a damn if the only place you ever saw the gfx was in-game.
EDIT: you are kind of right, i looked back at the gani and I kind of see the problem with angle, i could put some more rotation but rotating the already slightly rotated sprites 90 degrees and 180 degrees, the thing is that the symettricality of the sprites makes it so that if the image was perfectly drawn out(for example if it was bigger, or if it was in real life) it would look fine the way it is, but in this case I'll fix it because the pixels are limiting.

I just realized something.. I have 0 rotation, then 22.5 then 45 then i SKIPPED 67.5 and it goes straight to 90, that may be the issue that everyone is having. I'll fix it right away!
(haunter was right....)http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2756/shuriken9id.png
The attachment is the fixed gani and image.

*ahem*
The first sprite is for mud/hud(tell me if I need to make a new image for mud/hud) the last three are for animation of it after it is thrown, they also shouldn't be used in a gani that involves player holding or throwing the shuriken. Have fun with the gfx, even though I'm not good at it and I forgot to do a full rotation(not used to rotating stuff...) I hope I've made zone a better server in some way by submitting this gfx for use.

Crono
06-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Why does Zone need these? It's in the far future, it's bad enough we have maramusa's or whatever running around, how the hell is this practical? What, you're gonna fling a flying star and expect it to launch and stay at the same speed as bullets?

bahamutstevetff
06-22-2006, 08:42 PM
maybe make them...lazery, and make a new class, plasma ninja.

Huwajux
06-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Why does Zone need these? It's in the far future, it's bad enough we have maramusa's or whatever running around, how the hell is this practical? What, you're gonna fling a flying star and expect it to launch and stay at the same speed as bullets?
I think they will suit Zone. Don't add any of this electrical stuff, it's pointless!

Shuriken's are nice, and would work with the assassin class I'm trying to work out with. :)

They are weapons that are, to quote Haunter, "timeless". Ancient ninjas used them eons ago, and ninja's in the modern day still use them! Who's to say we won't still be using them in like...*Guesses Zone's timeline* eleventybillion years?

Bl0nkt
06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I made ganis for a gun on Zone once, and I wanted to call it the Blonkinator. Vulcan said ok but he LIED WTF.

MisterMastermind
06-22-2006, 11:05 PM
They are weapons that are, to quote Haunter, "timeless". Ancient ninjas used them eons ago, and ninja's in the modern day still use them!We're also still running around with crossbow's that have been outdated even before now. At least have them launched of a weapon. Poison bladed or laced with C4 explosives. :) Who's to say we won't still be using them in like...*Guesses Zone's timeline* eleventybillion years?
Me.

Huwajux
06-22-2006, 11:19 PM
We're also still running around with crossbow's that have been outdated even before now. At least have them launched of a weapon. Poison bladed or laced with C4 explosives. :)
They're fine at the moment. :P

Me.
LERN W4T A RHET0RIC47 QU35T10N I5, N00B! <3

naokohiro
06-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Thw whole thing about shuriken is that they weren't mainly used as primary weapons, and normally weren't used to inflict damage. The were used in stealth as distractions and whatnot. You throw one on the ground and your opponent has no clue where it came from and panickly looks around, then you slice 'em.
Even though this cannot apply to zone, I'm sure there's some way it can be used as a means other than just attack, especially if it's added to the Assassin's class. And shuriken usually move faster than the eye can see and so do bullets, but you can see bullets in this game, so shuriken should move just as fast. If not faster. I think they should do minimal damage and basically just be used to stun the enemy. But if you think they'd be good as a weapon, that's fine too. The ice gun seems to be the stunning weapon as of yet, but throwing shuriken only requires 1 hand. Maybe it should only stun the oponent for 0.5 seconds, who knows? I also think if it's dual wielded, you should be able to throw them twice as fast.(no one ever threw two shuriken at once.) Maybe make it so you can pick the shuriken back up after you throw them, who knows?
Maybe when you hit someone with a shuriken it stays stabbed into them, even as they walk away.
Anyway, you decide how best it works.(maybe the shuriken can be the only weapon you can throw when you're invisible in assassin mode?)

Zulu15
06-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Well, like I said, the capabilities of graal; the fastest it can animate is 20 frames per second, by adding more frames it would look bad... If I could double it up and go 40 frames per second, belive me i would put a full roation, and you would be able to see it, it would look very smotth and good animation.
Also, you gotta realize that in-game this will look just fine and it won't matter much because the amount of time you'll be looking at how it's animated is minimal. It will look like someone throwing a shuriken at some one else and it won't look bad, especially with the background of everything around it to make it fit in. Beleive me you wouldn't give a damn if the only place you ever saw the gfx was in-game.
EDIT: you are kind of right, i looked back at the gani and I kind of see the problem with angle, i could put some more rotation but rotating the already slightly rotated sprites 90 degrees and 180 degrees, the thing is that the symettricality of the sprites makes it so that if the image was perfectly drawn out(for example if it was bigger, or if it was in real life) it would look fine the way it is, but in this case I'll fix it because the pixels are limiting.

I just realized something.. I have 0 rotation, then 22.5 then 45 then i SKIPPED 67.5 and it goes straight to 90, that may be the issue that everyone is having. I'll fix it right away!
(haunter was right....)http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2756/shuriken9id.png
The attachment is the fixed gani and image.

*ahem*
The first sprite is for mud/hud(tell me if I need to make a new image for mud/hud) the last three are for animation of it after it is thrown, they also shouldn't be used in a gani that involves player holding or throwing the shuriken. Have fun with the gfx, even though I'm not good at it and I forgot to do a full rotation(not used to rotating stuff...) I hope I've made zone a better server in some way by submitting this gfx for use.

I uh...re-fixed it to look more like I was saying, which I think looks much smoother.

pooper200000
06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
am i the only one who when i open graal shop to look at the graalshop gani and all i see is a blank screen??

Huwajux
06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
am i the only one who when i open graal shop to look at the graalshop gani and all i see is a blank screen??
You have to open up a GANI first! :P

pooper200000
06-23-2006, 07:22 PM
oh i tried that and it sitll doesn't work maybe im just doing something stupid as usual

naokohiro
06-24-2006, 03:59 AM
I uh...re-fixed it to look more like I was saying, which I think looks much smoother.
remind me how you fixed it.. I don't see a difference.....

Zulu15
06-24-2006, 06:43 AM
It apears to make a full revolution now rather than skipping. Simply changed the last frame.

naokohiro
06-24-2006, 09:30 AM
i already did that in my second attachment.... I remade the image then just fixed the gani... what happened now? I'm all confuzzled.

Crono
06-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Ancient ninjas used them eons ago, and ninja's in the modern day still use them!

Ninja's dont do **** today. Might as well upload bow and arrows on zone. Let's get some more swords while we're at it. ROCK ON WOODEN STICK ANYONE?

MasterNuke
06-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Idea: Charged Shuriken Launcher. If anyone remembers the Spinfusor from Tribes... then you get what I mean. It would be cool if it shot and could go through multiple players. But, for it to be effective on Zone, it would have to be big.

Crono
06-24-2006, 02:14 PM
I catch your drift mr.nuke