PDA

View Full Version : Illegal characters in the outgoing data detected (data type 79)!

Crono
06-21-2006, 12:51 AM
I think we all know about this problem. It happens when you try to copy paste something into RC that has spaces or something like that. For example, try copy pasting multiple lines of server options into the RC chat and press enter.

Try to copy paste a multi-line PM and see what happens.

Your message gets replaced with "Illegal characters in the outgoing data detected (data type 79)!"

Annoying, fix it please.

Damix2
06-21-2006, 02:33 AM
Neverhad it happen

Crono
06-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Bump, this always happens to me. It happened under windows xp sp2 and now windows 2000 sp4 pro

JustBreathe
06-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I concur. Happens in Linux AND Windows.

It's the enter character. ( You can't send a new line in a message. )

Admins
06-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Before we have added the check for the newline character people accidently messed up the server options and such, so it's better to prevent that :) Might be interesting to send multiple lines though, or replace the newline with a space character

Chris
06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Before we have added the check for the newline character people accidently messed up the server options and such, so it's better to prevent that :) Might be interesting to send multiple lines though, or replace the newline with a space character
I remember that. It would say I set server options. :frown:

zokemon
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
If you use a different code other then ascii you can put in enters ;)

KuJi
06-30-2006, 09:22 AM
I remember that. It would say I set server options. :frown:

... Yeah. I remember that 3-4 yrs ago.

It should be changed so that its like this:
I copy this:
Hello.
How are you doing

It'd say

Joey: Hello.
Joey: How are you doing

Be cool, similar to IRC

Crono
07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah so how do you fix this? It always does it to me and it's very annoying.

smirt362
07-28-2006, 05:41 AM
An example...

Joey: Hello.
Joey: How are you doing

If you were to copy and past that into RC it would show up in the chat bar as
Joey: Hello.Joey: How are you doing. The illegal character is where the computer reads the invisible symbol that tells it to go to the next line. In this case it's between Hello. and Joey. So if you click behind the period and hit delete it will take care of that "illegal character."

But it's still a giant pain to do that with everything you attempt to copy and paste.

Crono
07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it's a pain to have to edit it so much, specially when "Joey: Hello.Joey: How are you doing." is hard to read.