PDA

View Full Version : Plz join my #glat guild!!11!

Yen
06-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Seriously, this is getting annoying.
How many of these #g<whatever> guilds for people who think they can develop, but are less than decent in their department, do we have? Why are around? What kind of idiot approved them?

Seriously, I just saw someone advertising #GModev, a guild for modern developers.

This is getting a bit old. Please stop.

(I'm just venting.)

HoudiniMan
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Eh, it's better than the SSJSuPERIFGHTERS right?

Guild's are just bands of people, dev guilds are a natural occurance. Plus, maybe they can learn from each other.

I see good things but few bad coming from them.

Shaun
06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
The '#' prefix is just a fad, like 'e' and 'i'. The difference is that '#' seems to be a local (GraalOnline) fad, for the self-convinced elite of the GraalOnline community.

HoudiniMan
06-03-2006, 09:34 PM
The '#' prefix is just a fad, like 'e' and 'i'. The difference is that '#' seems to be a local (GraalOnline) fad, for the self-convinced elite of the GraalOnline community.

The # is from IRC, and the original #gscript guild was a guild for the regulars of the #gscript IRC chat channel. IRC mandates channels start with one of a few select characters, almost always #.

So really, to be valid, they need to start IRC chat channels also.

Shaun
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM
The origins of the prefix don't make what I say untrue. The origins of the prefix 'e' to words is the word 'electronic'.

One would imagine with the information you give, that you are merely adding on to what I say, but the presentation of the information seems to imply you are infact disagreeing with me?

irule13
06-04-2006, 09:03 PM
best guild like this to date
#gplayers
i applied just so they would be up sooner so i can laugh at them faster

Googi
06-04-2006, 09:38 PM
One would imagine with the information you give, that you are merely adding on to what I say, but the presentation of the information seems to imply you are infact disagreeing with me?

He was saying that you thought it was a spontaneous fad when it actually has a logical origin.

HoudiniMan
06-04-2006, 09:41 PM
The origins of the prefix don't make what I say untrue. The origins of the prefix 'e' to words is the word 'electronic'.

My point rather was that it's not a prefix at all.

It's the entire name of the IRC room "#gscript" if the guild was "gscript" it would be missing part of the channel's name. And the guild is for the channel members, not the scripters of the language, though they do coincide.

Now, the G is a prefix, which is redundant in a little way to mean graal. However, the coding language for Graal is called gscript, and this separates it from the glevels and ggraphics guys because the level editor isn't called glevels.exe or anything like that.

Not to mention, in a foreign community like an IRC server, the G might be helpful to distinguish exactly what sort of script, or levels, or graphics the channel was there to discuss.

So in short, the #gscript channel name makes the most sense, but the #glevels, etc makes sense in a small way in a foreign community.

If their guilds are also for their channel members, it would stand to reason they'd have to use the same name as the IRC channel, even if it's repetative here.

Elk
06-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Graal GFX Team was a Developing guild aswell but it went to...disbanded <.<
We were the best of the best...

xshadx
06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Graal GFX Team was a Developing guild aswell but it went to...disbanded <.<
We were the best of the best...

I Got In It When I Couldnt Even GAT A Long Time Ago

excaliber7388
06-04-2006, 10:58 PM
It would be pretty cool if there were guilds you needed to sumbit work to for an application. That way, when hiring, people would be able to recognize a good developer by this tag.

Shaun
06-05-2006, 09:44 AM
My point rather was that it's not a prefix at all.

It's the entire name of the IRC room "#gscript" if the guild was "gscript" it would be missing part of the channel's name. And the guild is for the channel members, not the scripters of the language, though they do coincide.

Now, the G is a prefix, which is redundant in a little way to mean graal. However, the coding language for Graal is called gscript, and this separates it from the glevels and ggraphics guys because the level editor isn't called glevels.exe or anything like that.

Not to mention, in a foreign community like an IRC server, the G might be helpful to distinguish exactly what sort of script, or levels, or graphics the channel was there to discuss.

So in short, the #gscript channel name makes the most sense, but the #glevels, etc makes sense in a small way in a foreign community.

If their guilds are also for their channel members, it would stand to reason they'd have to use the same name as the IRC channel, even if it's repetative here.

Originally, the # was part of the channel name, yes; however, other guilds arose that started to copy the # prefix while not referring to a specific channel, thus it evolved from a reference to fad.

Do you disagree..?

p2p_Sir_Link
06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally, the # was part of the channel name, yes; however, other guilds arose that started to copy the # prefix while not referring to a specific channel, thus it evolved from a reference to fad.

Do you disagree..?

Origins do not change due to actions like these?

Googi
06-05-2006, 05:06 PM

Do you disagree..?

Are there any guilds using the # prefix without using "g"?

-Ching
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
G-g-g (#gunit)

Loriel
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Did any of the other "#g" guilds ever set up a regularly used IRC channel?

ApothiX
06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Did any of the other "#g" guilds ever set up a regularly used IRC channel?
No.

Malinko
06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
G-g-g (#gunit)
You are God.

Join #gunit.

Googi
06-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Does your hand burn with a shinging light? Is it telling you to defeat your enemies? If so, then #ggundam is for you!

Malinko
06-06-2006, 12:40 AM
#gGoogi.

Moondeath_2
06-06-2006, 02:51 AM
More rip off '#g' guilds contiue, ew. First someone see's a #gscript member then they think it's some cool special thing having no clue what the # is there for in the first place, then they make a guild like #GModev, #Gdeveloper, etc. it's really lame. :frown:

Googi
06-06-2006, 03:31 AM
More rip off '#g' guilds contiue, ew. First someone see's a #gscript member then they think it's some cool special thing having no clue what the # is there for in the first place, then they make a guild like #GModev, #Gdeveloper, etc. it's really lame. :frown:

It wouldn't really change much even if the #gscript guild was called something different. Everybody would still copy us because we are cool and run Graal like Al Capone ran Chicago.

Draenin
06-06-2006, 05:16 AM
I'm okay with stuff like #gscript, #ggraphics, #ggat, #glat or whatever, but stuff like #gmodev and #gdeveloper is stupid. Those are broad, not specific.

It makes sense to me to have small guilds like this since those four things make up the four primary server jobs, but they shouldn't be mock-ups of gscript unless there are actually channels made for those things.

ApothiX
06-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Shouldn't even talk, Moondeath. The only reason you joined the channel in the first place was so that you could get the tag and 'feel cool.' I never see you in there any more now that you have the tag. hmm?

Draenin
06-06-2006, 07:15 AM
I've visited there a little, but don't really want the tag, because I don't really script.

napo_p2p
06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
#gIHateGGuilds