PDA

View Full Version : Aetherforge

Tom
04-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Ok, well i plan to get this playerworld done before the end of the holidays, so i need to speed up the process and am looking for skilled developers.

Scripters
Gani Artists
Graphics

With all jobs you must have examples of your work :) Id really like some scripters more than anything.

A screenshot of a test level we have,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Tomdev/tom_screeny1.png

And one of the flying baddies,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Tomdev/tom_baddie7.png

As we just started the levels are limited and a bit bland as im still working on graphics for the detailing and such. But the futures bright!

Lord Sephiroth
04-17-2006, 05:09 AM
You make -a lot- of threads o_o.

Infernix
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Only problem I see in your server so far is that you have no type of background...and platformers like this have backgrounds...rlly rlly good looking ones.

SilentOne1988
04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Only problem I see in your server so far is that you have no type of background...and platformers like this have backgrounds...rlly rlly good looking ones.

They'd have to show their levels entirely with showimg in order to include a background.

Tom
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Yea, we came across that problem and ive sort of figured a way to cover it. Creating things like fences, sign posts, And we can create backgrounds using images, clouds, pillars, distant places and so on :)

i also need to enlarge the trees, they are a bit too small :P

Infernix
04-18-2006, 01:05 AM
They'd have to show their levels entirely with showimg in order to include a background.

Your post made me lol, just wanted to tell you that. Go play some Mario.

Yen
04-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Yeah, we can create background with things like trees, but we can't create scenic background unless a -1 layer is added.

Skyld
04-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah, we can create background with things like trees, but we can't create scenic background unless a -1 layer is added.
And exactly what good is a -1 layer if the current base layer is opaque?

Put your scenery on the base layer and the player/levels on higher level layers.

Yen
04-18-2006, 01:59 AM
And exactly what good is a -1 layer if the current base layer is opaque?

Put your scenery on the base layer and the player/levels on higher level layers.

That would require 4096 showimgs per level, not to mention gmaps. Then we have my physics system doing god-knows-how-many loops to check for walls everytime the player does movement.

It would be nice to add a -1 layer and make it optional; leave the default tileset as it is, but give us the ability to use transparency in custom tilesets.

Skyld
04-18-2006, 02:04 AM
That would require 4096 showimgs per level, not to mention gmaps. Then we have my physics system doing god-knows-how-many loops to check for walls everytime the player does movement.

It would be nice to add a -1 layer and make it optional; leave the default tileset as it is, but give us the ability to use transparency in custom tilesets.
Or an even more constructive use of time, ...
level layers.

Yen
04-18-2006, 02:44 AM
.. player.layer = 2?

excaliber7388
04-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Also, (though this would be harder to script) when things fall, they continue to accelerate at a constant rate. I'm not acking for the exact 9.8 m/s/s but just enough to feel more origional. Not to many other platformers take that idea into their design (I havn't seen one yet)

Malinko
04-18-2006, 05:03 AM
I want a Tom baddie so I can kill it.

Raelyn
04-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Also, (though this would be harder to script) when things fall, they continue to accelerate at a constant rate. I'm not acking for the exact 9.8 m/s/s but just enough to feel more origional. Not to many other platformers take that idea into their design (I havn't seen one yet)

Most platformers don't take that into account because it's unnessesary to script into the physics. The only point speed change would really matter is if a winged creature or otherwise flying creature suddely ceased to be flying, and increased the rate of falling. Otherwise the difference is barely noticable enough to have time wasted scripting it.

Raeiphon
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM

A graal server with proper physics (not the gimped vecx/y gravity), there's something i'd pay for.

MysticX2X
04-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Your server looks tight, hope you get staff

Raelyn
04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
A graal server with proper physics (not the gimped vecx/y gravity), there's something i'd pay for.

A graal server with proper physics would most likely need to be 3D to be interesting, not platform.

Yen
04-18-2006, 08:07 PM

The gravity constant is 3/16 of a tile, but levels have the ability to change it.
Unfortunately, I had to set terminal velocity to 1.5 tiles, otherwise they may skip through the ground tile on the onwall check.

We were looking at the possibility of making it more 'realistic' in terms of jumping. For example, once you jump, you're stuck with your left/right acceleration; it can't be reduced or increased while aerial. However, we didn't think it would fit the server.

excaliber7388
04-18-2006, 09:56 PM
However, we didn't think it would fit the server.
Yeah, platformers like that are dull, hard to control, and eventually aren't played, dont do that ^^.

Tom
04-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I really need staff to help me get this done, with only Yen scripting the process is going really slowly, so slow its easy to lose interest and may never get finished.

Malinko
04-23-2006, 06:21 AM
I really need staff to help me get this done, with only Yen scripting the process is going really slowly, so slow its easy to lose interest and may never get finished.
As a Manager, that's one of the things to take care of.

Omini
04-23-2006, 01:08 PM

Yeah I know how it feels. I have about 3 NATs who need told what to do, instead of loading comments or a file in the temp folder that tells them what needs done. They're Pro RC idlers though >_<

Warcaptain
04-24-2006, 01:06 AM
You can draw an image/background ctrl behind the GraalControl to create a "background" image easily.

Also, you could have a tiles for background and lay the actual walkable tiles on layer 1 and have the bg tiles on layer 0. Since all layer 1 tiles would be blocking, and all layer 0 tiles would not need to be itd be simple as all get up :) plus would be easy to test if you are on a special bg thing by just testing the tile :)

Anyways, tile layers are your best bet here.. if you have a layer editor. Not to mention mine isnt even 100% done because Stefan keeps messing up gmap layers x_x

Tom
04-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Good idea, ill note that warpcaptain ^_^
At the moment ive decided to stop the platforms development until some other time :)