PDA

View Full Version : New Game Modes: Spectators/Waiting List

Gambet
09-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Spectator Mode (and introduction):

I have not played Zone or Graal in general in the last few months. I have not browsed through the Graal forums either, so I'm not up to date with what's new on Zone. Anyways, the other day an old friend from Graal messaged me and reminded me of the game I ceased to continue playing. I have been reacquaint with some past memories of my Graal experience. With these memories, I remembered about Zone, and I was cerebrating when I came up with quite an eminent idea. Please keep in mind that I am not familiar with the current updates, so I have no clue how Zone is now.

Since the last time I played, when you tried to enter a game map and the map was currently fully occupied, then a message would appear over you and you would not be allowed in the map due to the balancing system. I felt quite pestiferous when I wanted to play but I couldn't due to the balancing system. So, I would have to wait until someone else joined the map or until the game ended before I could join. My enervation towards wanting to play would go away as I waited and if the game took too long then I would simply log off. So, with that in mind, I feel it would be wise to implement a sort of spectating system, where players can spectate the game.

How the spectating system would work is that when a play goes to enter a map, he/she will automatically be placed under spectating mode, where they will one screen length of the map on their screen. What that means is that if I go to join a map, I will see my base in my screen and all biotic/abiotic features that it contains. If I want to view another part of the map, then I would simply press a scroll button or so which would direct me towards which direction I would like to see next. To make things easier, I think the system should scroll from one screen to the next. This is useful so that players can view the match as it is going on. Now, somewhere on the screen will be a button that if you press it, you will be sent into the game on a random team depending on the balancing system. If the match is currently full, then when you press the button to join the game, a message will appear addressing you that the match is currently full and you cannot join at that time. A good way of showing this is to make it so the button illuminates when the player can join and obscures when the match is full. If the game ends and you are in spectating mode, then you will be automatically sent into the map for the start of the next match.

Personally, I'd rather spectate the match then simply wait around for a spot to open of which I could occupy.

Waiting List:

If the spectator mode is found to be too difficult, then another game mode could be the waiting list. How this works is that when a player goes to join a map and that map is currently full, they will be placed into a waiting list, and the second that the map loses some capacity, then he/she will be automatically sent into the match (either while the current match is running or if the current match has finally ended). If a player leaves the dropship of the match he/she was trying to join then he/she will be automatically removed from the waiting list. Also, once a player has been warped into the match, then he/she will be removed from the waiting list.

NOTE: This only applies to players that are trying to join a map that is currently full to capacity (due to the balancing system).

This is useful because at times players fight to see who will get inside the map first and it's quite unfair for those players that have been patiently waiting for their turn.

-Gambet

Wind_Master
09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
I really didnt get the Spectating system but I think that the game is fine. But than again I dont play irica so I wont comment on that.

haro41
09-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I felt quite pestiferous
My enervation towards
and all biotic/abiotic features

say what now :confused:

Wind_Master
09-29-2005, 11:30 PM

rofl...ya. I dont understand those big words XD

Dreth
09-30-2005, 01:52 AM
Good question.
What now? :confused:

anubis_wing
09-30-2005, 11:47 AM
My Brain Hurts!

Splke
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
DOUBLE YEW DOUBLE YEW DOUBLE YEW

DICTIONARY

DOT COM

Jeez.

I think it's a good idea, if Zone was abit more populated. I don't know if it's so hard to get a team anymore, I thought the player count dropped back down to like 40? If it was like CS or WoW where there were an excess amount of people waiting to get into the game (matches : cs bg : wow) then yeah, but as of now it just seems abit needless.

Nice, still.

Huwajux
09-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Gambet! :megaeek:
Anyway, it's a pretty neat idea. Should be implemented into V4 for Zone.

anubis_wing
09-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Yeah it's a good idea but i dont really get how you get into it.

Gambet
09-30-2005, 09:36 PM
I think it's a good idea, if Zone was abit more populated. I don't know if it's so hard to get a team anymore, I thought the player count dropped back down to like 40? If it was like CS or WoW where there were an excess amount of people waiting to get into the game (matches : cs bg : wow) then yeah, but as of now it just seems abit needless.

Nice, still.

The playercount has dropped so drastically? When I was around the playercount averaged around 50-60 a day. There were numerous amounts of filled-to-capacity matches going on each day. It was quite a hassle to actually find a spot to fill in to play on your favorite map or any map you wished to play on at the time. Well, if the playercount is so low that you can get into any map regardless of the balancing system, then I suppose this system wouldn't really be that useful at the moment, but I still believe that it should be something that should be looked into, because I'm sure the more Stefan devotes to developing new things for Zone, the more players will be attracted to play.

Wind_Master
09-30-2005, 10:10 PM
The playercount has dropped so drastically? When I was around the playercount averaged around 50-60 a day. There were numerous amounts of filled-to-capacity matches going on each day. It was quite a hassle to actually find a spot to fill in to play on your favorite map or any map you wished to play on at the time. Well, if the playercount is so low that you can get into any map regardless of the balancing system, then I suppose this system wouldn't really be that useful at the moment, but I still believe that it should be something that should be looked into, because I'm sure the more Stefan devotes to developing new things for Zone, the more players will be attracted to play.

Yes it had lowered. It's because they havent been any new maps in god knows how long.

Huwajux
09-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Ignoring what Jin stated. The reason the playercount is so low, is due to trial accounts not being able to wear guild tags. Also a trials maximum hp is now lowered to 80hp. I have lost a lot of friends because of it. I had to disband my guild seeing as most of it were trials.

bahamutstevetff
10-01-2005, 06:24 AM
ya lots of ppl left after the trials got crapped on, and i dont blame em, i would have left but i got p2p, i say, we have a parade for TRAIL RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Crono
10-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Gambet get your ass back to Zone please :(

I like this spectating idea, could be like CS's. :D

Wind_Master
10-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Gambet get your ass back to Zone please :(

I like this spectating idea, could be like CS's. :D

Enough with CS. Zone is a graal game not a CS game.

Crono
10-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Enough with CS. Zone is a graal game not a CS game.

But you can use CS to compare the concept of say spectating.

Wind_Master
10-02-2005, 05:09 AM
But you can use CS to compare the concept of say spectating.

Yes thats very true.

Btw isnt CS 3d?

Huwajux
10-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Btw isnt CS 3d?
Yes, so?

Wind_Master
10-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Yes, so?

Just askin...

Raeiphon
10-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Jin always seems to start arguments (and/or flame wars) whenever he says something, what the hell is going on?

Oh, good idea btw.

Wind_Master
10-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Jin always seems to start arguments (and/or flame wars) whenever he says something, what the hell is going on?

Oh, good idea btw.

When did I start a flame war?