PDA

View Full Version : Lag on NPulse?

Hiro
04-25-2005, 03:26 AM
Why the hell is it so laggy on NPulse? Me and Holy Gryphon just lost int he Semi-finals of the tag team spar tourament because the server is so laggy that you can't walk anywhere without skipping - and it's not just me. Everyone on the server is laggy, and everyone else says it's laggy.

What the hell did you guys upload that made the server so laggy?

ETD
04-25-2005, 03:29 AM
I had been working on reducing the lag on N-Pulse, but I'm not staff there anymore
:(

Hiro
04-25-2005, 03:31 AM
I had been working on reducing the lag on N-Pulse, but I'm not staff there anymore
:(
It's so laggy that you can hardly spar well because these people get lag hits out of no where.

Not to mention it turns a lot of people off from the server as they can play somewhere else without being so laggy.

Velox Cruentus
04-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Scripts... That's what makes a server laggy.

Hiro
04-25-2005, 04:24 AM
Scripts... That's what makes a server laggy.
Or crappy Scripters.

HarDKoRe1234
04-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Yeah, seriously, I can't see anybody move on that server....

PrinceDark
04-25-2005, 08:27 AM
A few things were chopped in half so some are incomplete so just continuously execute. There's a lot of things wrong there. Most of the content should be rescripted.

But that will likely never happen.

Velox Cruentus
04-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Or crappy Scripters.
Crappy Scripters only enhance the lagging factor on the scripts. Scripts themselves lag the server however.

Scripters don't lag the server... Their scripts do however.

Spark910
04-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Crappy Scripters only enhance the lagging factor on the scripts. Scripts themselves lag the server however.

Scripters don't lag the server... Their scripts do however.
Well, I'm sure he was suggesting such a thing anyway, rarther than saying the presence of the staff is causing the slow-down.

Robin
04-25-2005, 06:12 PM
The presence of scripts, players, levels and images cause lag.

matt8891
04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Npulse does'nt usually have alot of NPC's in one level. But i think that new tileset could be causing alot of lag.

Malinko
04-25-2005, 10:31 PM
But that will likely never happen.
Hm, why not? Thought you were NAT there or so?
Npulse does'nt usually have alot of NPC's in one level.
Nor much scripts at all.
But i think that new tileset could be causing alot of lag.
How so?

Kaimetsu
04-25-2005, 10:43 PM
The presence of scripts, players, levels and images cause lag

That's an overly simplistic assertion, given that the term 'lag' is ambiguous.

If you're talking about clientside slowdown then the number of levels on the server is irrelevant.
If you're talking about client<->server latency then the number of images on the screen is irrelevant.

Darlene159
04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I have heard some complain of lag, not many though...I haven't seen any lag either, and I have seen no difference in lag with the new tileset...I'm not saying there isn't a lag problem, but I am saying that I haven't noticed it.
CriminalX has quit his job as scripter....

Admins
04-26-2005, 12:22 AM
N-Pulse doesn't seem to have slow scripts on serverside, the npcserver is actually quite bored. Also on clientside there doesn't seem to be slow scripts, at least with the default items you get when entering the server. Graal took between 4 and 6 % cpu time for me.
So the question is are you actually moving slow, or is there just network lag?

Hiro
04-26-2005, 12:46 AM
N-Pulse doesn't seem to have slow scripts on serverside, the npcserver is actually quite bored. Also on clientside there doesn't seem to be slow scripts, at least with the default items you get when entering the server. Graal took between 4 and 6 % cpu time for me.
So the question is are you actually moving slow, or is there just network lag?
I actually move quite fast on all servers. But once you start sparring or PKing on NPulse, the PPS goes stright up, the lag increases, and people start warping around. It's really annoying, and if there are no scripts hindering the server, then maybe it's the actual server, not just the data on it.

And mostly people don't complain to the manager of any server as nothing will come of nothing. They ask NATs, FAQ, or other members of staff.

Darlene159
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
So the question is are you actually moving slow, or is there just network lag?Also, what are their settings set on in options? not connecting levels, and setting nicks to 0 greatly decreases lag...and alot of people run other programs other than Graal also, like AIM or some other chat program, music playing programs, etc....which will all create more lag for them. I dont think the lag is on the server

Hiro
04-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Also, what are their settings set on in options? not connecting levels, and setting nicks to 0 greatly decreases lag...and alot of people run other programs other than Graal also, like AIM or some other chat program, music playing programs, etc....which will all create more lag for them. I dont think the lag is on the server
When I spar, I turn everything off so I don't get screwed up.

It's NPulse, and no my connection does not suck. Everyone lags there.

Skyld
04-26-2005, 01:23 AM

It's NPulse, and no my connection does not suck. Everyone lags there.
Try toggling the UDP option.

Darlene159
04-26-2005, 02:06 AM

It's NPulse, and no my connection does not suck. Everyone lags there.Just because you see them jumping around on your screen, doesnt mean they are lagging, or the server is lagging.

Hiro
04-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Just because you see them jumping around on your screen, doesnt mean they are lagging, or the server is lagging.
Don't be ignorant. I'm saying that everyone complains about it, and they complain that when they spar..etc. etc.

And UDP makes player movement-lose, so I won't see the person I'm sparring move anyways, with or without lag.

ETD
04-26-2005, 05:06 AM
It's the ungodly amount of scripts in that spar center. All the scripts for commands, and AP changing, and healing, and blocks to stop more than X number of people from entering, and the sparban script is in that level as well.

I believe that would probably be the cause of lag.

And tilesets causeing lag? lol, besides when you are downloading the tileset, it would lag just as much as the classic one.

Hiro
04-26-2005, 06:02 AM
It lags outside spars too. >_<

Xecutor
04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Certain weapon, perhaps

PrinceDark
04-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Certain weapon, perhaps
I'm thinking the same that it might be just 2 items that are wickedly adding some lag to some peoples clients.

It's the ungodly amount of scripts in that spar center ...

The spar center I agree is loaded with crap and just isn't a place I would ever use as a place to spar. My other reason for not really using it comes down to the level design sucks.

Hm, why not? Thought you were NAT there or so?
Staff issues mostly will turn off anyone from wanting to do it. Then the number of scripts and people with access to NC to upload crap. People using toweapons pisses me off also. A few other things that are self-explanatory with management decisions. Just take a look at the way the manager moderates this forums and then you could picture how that server is managed.

Hiro
04-27-2005, 01:09 AM
I would hate to have Moonie as a boss if I was working on my own discretion.

HarDKoRe1234
04-27-2005, 11:13 PM
I used to log on to N-Pulse because it wasn't as laggy as UN. Now I log on and I can barely see anything. Most of my friends don't play N-Pulse anymore for the same reason...

Hiro
04-28-2005, 01:19 AM
I used to log on to N-Pulse because it wasn't as laggy as UN. Now I log on and I can barely see anything. Most of my friends don't play N-Pulse anymore for the same reason...
Mmm..I got Holy-Gryphon to play again. He logs onto NPulse and goes (I might parafrase) "What the **** is up will all this lag, did someone upload a giant **** to make things slower as it penetraits the server ports, Jesus H. Christ!"

Inspiration
04-28-2005, 03:57 AM
I attempted to fix as many of the obvious problems in the scripts as I could. If you notice any less lag, tell me.