PDA

View Full Version : Graal running slow.

ReBorn_Spirit
04-15-2005, 06:39 PM
It was about last year that i actually got graal to run on an old 486 computer... it had a speed of 100 mhz, barely lagged. Thats not the point though, today im currently using this 1.3 ghz pc. Now if you ask me, this shouldnt be lagging when I see a horse or any other pet on GK. Oh and that new website design looks grand, except in linux(lack of java/flash programs). I know that the normal graal for windows has a feature to use d3d or not, but in linux, im stuck with that opengl, which tends to lagg on all distros except for one. If anyone could possible give me any kind of solution to this mess...

Inspiration
04-15-2005, 06:51 PM
What is your current graphics card, and does it have the most recently released drivers?

OasaTor_PK
04-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Im running a 2.8ghz, 1024 ram, and its those *** lighting effects, and the horses tierope things that lag me. Tis strange. If you dont have lighting effects off, try turning them off, and seeing if that is causing it.

ReBorn_Spirit
04-15-2005, 06:57 PM
I know that my graphics card drivers are up-to-date. Thats how it is for nVidia chips, UDA (Universal Driver Architecture) Basically, one driver can be used for all the GeForce cards. Even a GeForce 2 should be able to display a simple 2d image of a horse.

Inspiration
04-15-2005, 07:03 PM
I know that my graphics card drivers are up-to-date. Thats how it is for nVidia chips, UDA (Universal Driver Architecture) Basically, one driver can be used for all the GeForce cards. Even a GeForce 2 should be able to display a simple 2d image of a horse.

Well your problem is not that it can not display the image, it is that it is having a problem desplaying it efficiently.

The problem you're looking at does not have anything to do with your CPU speed, I am fairly sure.

Just because the driver is "Universal" does not mean it is optimal, nor does it mean it is the latest version.

ReBorn_Spirit
04-15-2005, 07:05 PM
You go tell that the folks down at nVidia that their driver "sucks" and you see what they say. But for now, I have the best possible driver for the card ok...

heres how you get nVidia/GeForce drivers.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

"Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
Delivers rock-solid forward and backward compatibility with software drivers. Simplifies upgrading to a new NVIDIA product or driver because all NVIDIA products work with the same driver software. Includes full support for PCI Express and AGP." Quote from the nvidia website.

Inspiration
04-15-2005, 07:22 PM
You go tell that the folks down at nVidia that their driver "sucks" and you see what they say. But for now, I have the best possible driver for the card ok...

Well, I'm sure if I held the opinion that they "suck" I might just go do that, however, since you've decided to begin acting snotty to me, and are now putting words in my mouth, I find myself no longer willing to attempt to help you with your problem.

Hopefully someone much more immune to people with poor attitudes than me can assist you.

ReBorn_Spirit
04-15-2005, 07:28 PM
hmm well thats your problem, my own problem is dealing with my headache and other problems..

Admins
04-16-2005, 02:07 AM
1. What is the problem with flash on Linux, with Firefox it automatically installs the flash plugin.
2. The script for displaying the rope that binds the pets to the peg is taking quite a lot of cpu time, it will be more optimized in the next Graal version (v4).
3. If you experience speed problems on Linux then you probably have not installed the accelerated drivers yet. Please post the Graal output here (i think it is saved into the file ~/.graal/graal31/console.log), it will say if the good driver is installed.

Zero Hour
04-16-2005, 03:20 AM
since you've decided to begin acting snotty to me
Point of Information: You're the one being snotty.

ReBorn_Spirit
04-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Thank you Stefan!

pacMASTA
04-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Pac has a AMD Athon 64bit 3500+, Ati Radeon 9800PRO SAPHIRE (OC-DNA), and a 1.5gb of ram and Graal still lags is it the 64bit or just something else? BTW the motherboard is a DFI Lanparty... The AMD is even overclocked so im geting mad at graal and im gona kill it soon.

zim5354
04-16-2005, 06:11 AM
weird I basically have the same everything well my processesser is intel and graal like never lags for me and i use 3d lights

Admins
04-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Pac has a AMD Athon 64bit 3500+, Ati Radeon 9800PRO SAPHIRE (OC-DNA), and a 1.5gb of ram and Graal still lags is it the 64bit or just something else? BTW the motherboard is a DFI Lanparty... The AMD is even overclocked so im geting mad at graal and im gona kill it soon.

If you have the latest ATI drivers it should run fine. Eventually switch to 16 bit mode (color resolution) or go into fullscreen (Alt+Enter/Return) and check if it's faster then.

pacMASTA
04-16-2005, 03:21 PM
If you have the latest ATI drivers it should run fine. Eventually switch to 16 bit mode (color resolution) or go into fullscreen (Alt+Enter/Return) and check if it's faster then.

Umm ya thats odd its still at 32 bit and i maximised and im geting better performance BTW this comp is my crappy intel lol my other one is at tigerdirect their adding water cooling to it :)

Inspiration
04-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Point of Information: You're the one being snotty.

Sure, if you change the meaning of the word snotty to mean "One who attempts to be helpful and then becomes angered when the person they attempt to help resists them with a poor attitude."

Then yes, I'd have to agree.