PDA

View Full Version : Mission: Runaway Train

Gambet
03-20-2005, 08:13 AM
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS JUST AN IDEA LAYOUT FOR A MISSION. IT HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK WHERE ON THE SERVER CAN YOU FIND IT. I WROTE IT UP AND DECIDED TO POST IT TO SEE ALL OF YOUR OPINIONS.

Runaway Train

Mission Type: Solo
Mission Boss: Demented Conductor
Mission Difficulty: Medium

Mission Information:

You start off in a trainstation bench sleeping when you're rudely waken by loud screams. You are startled and you jump to your feet. You hear all the screaming coming out of a nearby train. You get worried and you run to the door of the train. As soon as you reach the door, it shuts closed quickly and then you hear a loud rumble. The train is starting! Suddenly you hear a noise as if someone was knocked over the head and then you see a body thrown out of the conductor's room. You run next to him and check his pulse. He's alive, but barely. You get on a ledge next to the conductor's rooms side of the train and peek through the window. What you see gives you a shocked face and you fall back out of the train. What you saw was a demented conductor who has taken over the train. Suddenly, you hear the train give out a loud sound that lets you know the conductor has taken out the breaks. Suddenly, the train starts to leave the station at what seems to be full speed. Suddenly, a row of people that seem to be brainwashed soldiers lineup in a row horizontally blocking anything from passing through and possibly follow the train to ruin their plans. Each soldier is armed with an smg held across them. You then notice a barrel that you could duck under and shoot them down without being noticed, but you realise that you've dropped your gun when you fell off the ledge of the train. You go to where the fallen conductor is and look for your gun but you cant find it. Suddenly, more brainwashed soldiers appear. It seems they have taken over the train station!
Immediately you will go into play-mode, where you will be able to move around and act on your own. Also, your position will be saved so that if you ever die in the mission you wont have to go through that whole scenematic scene again.

NOTE: When you go into play-mode, a timer will start on your screen with X amount of time. If you dont pass the mission before the timer runs out then the demented conductor wouldve gotten away and killed every passenger on the train, and you wouldve failed the mission. You need to pass the mission before the timer runs out to advance.

Objective #1 (Retrieving Firearm):

Find a sleeping soldier and punch him to death, then take his smg. When you punch the soldier once, he will get up, and if you dont kill him before he grabs his gun and shoots at you, then the other soldiers will notice what you're doing and they will all shoot you down, so you need to be speedy and as quiet as possible.

Objective #2 (Gundown The Line Of Soldiers):

Somewhere outside the station is a ladder which you can climb to the top, leading to the roof. When you get to the roof, you will have to go to the part of the roof with a red X on the floor. When you stand on this area, you will go into sniper-mode, which basically all you see is the aim of the gun and you cannot leave this mode until you press "a". Basically while in this mode, you will be in a zoomed view of things through the view of the 'viewer' in the gun (the cross shaped thing in guns which helps the gunner increase his/her accuracy). What you have to do is look for a crate titled "CAUTION: Explosives" and you gun to shoot it til it blows up. The explosion will be so big that it will wipe out all the soldiers standing in the horizontal line. You got one problem done, but another has started. An explosion that big cannot go about unheard of. Basically, you have wiped out the soldiers in the line, but now all of the soldiers in the station are alert and at guard with their guns griped tightly in their hands.

Objective #3 (Stealth):

Press "a" to abort sniper-mode. You will then enter a quick scene where you will be controlled automatically. Your character will move to the ladder, look down, and then you will see a bunch of soldiers everywhere, and then they will look up at you. Suddenly, some of them start climbing the ladder and others start to shoot at you. You will then abort the scenario-mode and you will be able to move around once again. Going back down the same way you did before is not possible at the moment and fighting the soldiers is suicide. Your only choice is to find another way down. Head to the other side of the building (opposite to where the ladder where the soldiers are climbing up is) to find a poll going from the top of the roof all the way to the bottom. Your only way down is to grab the pole and slide down. When you slide down, you will be 'welcomed' by two soldiers which you will have to kill. Once you kill them, head to the tracks and pass the place where the soldiers once stood blocking anything/anyone from passing by.

Objective #4 (Means of Transportation):

By now who knows how far away the train is. You'll never reach the train in time by walking, so you will need to find some sort of transportation. As you keep walking, you will hear a weird rumble. You will now enter scenario-mode again where everything will be done automatically. You turn around and see a bunch of people headed your way in what looks like....hover bikes! Now is your chance to take one from them so you can catch up with the train. You notice a barrel and you walk to it and hide behind it. You then notice that one of the people in the group riding in hover bikes has fallen behind everyone else. You take advantage of the moment and when he gets near enough you shoot him. Suddenly, the man on the bike starts to spin until it hits a wall. Luckily, the spins slowed down its velocity, so the bike took minimum damage when it hit the wall. You will now be in play-mode, where you can move around again.

NOTE: Your position will now save in this new spot so if you die you will be restored here.

Go to the hover bike, get on it, get back on track and start riding following the path of the tracks.

Objective #5 (Avoid the Bullets):

Just like you have HP, your new hover bike has HP also. The hover bike has 100 HP and if it ever reached 0 HP, it would instantly blow up killing you instantly, so you cannot allow the hover bike to be reach 0 HP. While you ride along the track, if you fall off the track and go on the dirt, then you will slowly lose HP for each second you're off the track.

REMEMBER: ALWAYS STAY ON THE RAILROAD TRACKS NO MATTER WHAT. YOU WILL NEED ALL THE HP ON THE HOVER BIKE YOU CAN GET.

As you continue to ride on the tracks you will notice bullets flying from your sides. You cannot see the source that is shooting them, because soldiers in camouflage are trying to shoot you down. What you need to do is notice the pattern of the shooting and adjust your acceleration to avoid getting hurt. If you accelerate too much then you'll be a sitting duck, and if you accelerate too little then the same will happen. Time the seconds it takes for the soldiers to shoot and adjust that with your acceleration.

NOTE: The soldiers CANNOT AND WILL NOT shoot at you diagonally, so you wont need to worry about that.

When you avoid bullets for some time you will notice that the shooting has stopped. As you continue to ride on the tracks, you will see the train from afar. You will then enter the scenario-mode. As you continue to move along the tracks the train will get nearer and nearer, until all of a sudden the train takes a different direciton then you do! The train continues to go straight while you turn at the intersect. You dont need to worry though, you can still catch up to the train.

Objective #6 (Go Big or Dont Come at All):

You will now enter play-mode. On the tracks you will see some glowing arrows on different parts of the track which indicate where you're suppose to go. Each time you drive over them your speed will increase. You NEED to drive over all of them in order to catch the train. There will be a total of five (5) turbo boost arrows. After driving over all five of them, you will see that the tracks you are riding in leads to a huge concrete wall with an "Underconstruction" sign at the top. You're going to crash! The only way for you to avoid crashing (which will instantly make the hover bike blow up killing you), you need to get off the track. I suggest you dont get off the track until you see this big slanted elevated part of the land (it looks like a ramp). When you see the ramp, get off the tracks and head for the ramp. If you're going the right speed when you hit the ramp you will go into scenario-mode. Basically you will see yourself zooming in the air and when you're right above the train, you will automatically throw yourself off the hover bike and you will safely land on the train while your hover bike hits the ground and blows up in the background. You start to walk to the front of the train and then you freeze and someone shoots from the inside of the train up. You dont see whose shooting but holes start to appear on the train and bullets are flying. You walk, then you pick up some speed until you start running. You run and run and doge the bullets from below and finally reach the front of the train. You go to the side of the train and you jump down to the ledge that you were on earlier that you fell off of. While in the ledge you dive into the conductors room and your in a medium sized room, alone....well....that is if you dont count for the Demented Conductor. You will now be in play-mode.

Gambet
03-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Objective #7 (Battle for Victory):

Demented Conductor would be not too easy but not too hard to beat. He isnt one of the most hardest bosses that you will face, but he is also not one of the easiest. Do the best you can to defeat him. In the room their should be a medkit which heals you completely and it should be located someone near the conductor so its not too easy to get to it. Everyone should pick a good time on when to use it if they wish to pass the mission. When you kill the conductor you will go into scenario mode. Your focus will go outside to the window and then you will see a body fly out of it. The body will be of the dead conductors. Your focus will then go to what the conductor views from the front mirror of the train. Oh no, the tracks lead to a wall! You then rush for the brakes and pull it with all your might. The train brakes right before hitting the wall.

If you did everything before time ran out, then after saving the train from crashing, a black screen would display with a big, colorful, centered
"Mission Accomplished" sign, and then you would go back to the dropship and your position would be saved.

From the bottom of the hearts of everyone in that train, I thank you for saving the day. Without you, all of those innocent lives would've been ended. God bless your souls!

All comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hope you like it ^^.

Kaimetsu
03-20-2005, 08:45 AM
At the very least, you should make it a little dramatic. Why has this guy hired all these henchmen and stolen the train? So he can kill some random passengers?

Aside from that, it all sounds far too linear, and the doing-stuff to watching-stuff ratio could use some work.

Also, the end battle sounds anti-climactic. What kind of fight can you realistically have in a 1v1, close-quarters environment?

axman36
03-20-2005, 08:52 AM
One:Hes demented... What do you expect
Two:If hes smarter then that, hes probably going to sell the train to some black market.

Gambet
03-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Its just a mission, the guys a whacko who wants to kill people so hes hired all these soldier like people and he's taken over a train station.

Theres actually a lot that the player actually does. Remember, reading something and doing it is much different. It may sound like theirs a lot more watching then actually doing but it really depends on how the developer makes it. This is just a rough draft idea, so things can be tweaked.

As for the final battle, well, I had different ideas and thats just one of them. I can add the other ideas in later. But theirs a lot you can do in a 1 v 1 in not such a big room. It makes things more interesting. It really depends on the creativity of the programmer.

pacMASTA
03-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Gambet that sounds like a pretty good idea Solo Missions maybe even be COOP missions instead of bloody massacres lol

Kaimetsu
03-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Its just a mission, the guys a whacko who wants to kill people so hes hired all these soldier like people and he's taken over a train station

The key to immersion is believability :\

Gambet
03-20-2005, 09:14 AM
The key to immersion is believability :\

Of course it would be belieavable. With the stuff that are in games today, anything could be belieavable, I mean cmon...its a game. Its not very belieavable in reality but in this game realm it sure is.

Kaimetsu
03-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Of course it would be belieavable. With the stuff that are in games today, anything could be belieavable

/me shrugs

I just think you could do better.

unixmad
03-20-2005, 09:29 AM
It's very interesting, i was speaking with Stefan last week to make Solo mission for zone!

Gambet
03-20-2005, 09:35 AM
It's very interesting, i was speaking with Stefan last week to make Solo mission for zone!

I was on RC today on Zone and I was talking to Stefan and he thought someone should start writing up some mission layouts so I came up with this solo mission idea. It could be fixed up a bit, but it would be fun nonetheless :).

Admins
03-20-2005, 02:43 PM
It sounds very interesting :)
For the story we can probably say that there is someone important in the train, like a president or high politician ?
It is also possible that at the end of the mission the bad guy is saying that the train was just for detracting from some other crime, like the invasion of the police headquarter or so, which is the second mission then.
May be the story should be more science fiction though, it involves hover bikes, but other than that there is no connection to the current Zone. The planet where it happens could be a holiday planet, or the player just wanted to join a meeting of the company he is working for (Sweep Fleet etc. are companies which hire soldiers for getting control of the planets).

Gambet
03-20-2005, 04:00 PM
It sounds very interesting :)
For the story we can probably say that there is someone important in the train, like a president or high politician ?
It is also possible that at the end of the mission the bad guy is saying that the train was just for detracting from some other crime, like the invasion of the police headquarter or so, which is the second mission then.
May be the story should be more science fiction though, it involves hover bikes, but other than that there is no connection to the current Zone. The planet where it happens could be a holiday planet, or the player just wanted to join a meeting of the company he is working for (Sweep Fleet etc. are companies which hire soldiers for getting control of the planets).

Well, we cant really depend on making missions have a lot of stuff that is currently on Zone, because the players like to see new content, new stuff. The missions are better and the players are more entertained if they see new things and get to use new things. Maybe even learn some skills that they will need to use in another mission ;).

Anyways, like I said, I just created the basic layout. Feel free to edit it as you please.

Crono
03-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Crono was on the train so they decided to jack it because I > all right right? ;)

Admins
03-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Well, we cant really depend on making missions have a lot of stuff that is currently on Zone, because the players like to see new content, new stuff. The missions are better and the players are more entertained if they see new things and get to use new things. Maybe even learn some skills that they will need to use in another mission ;).

Yes I just meant to connect the story or environment a little bit more to the futuristic science theme of Zone.

axman36
03-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Maybe at the end the conductor will say:"My gangster members will Avenge me!" And then he dies, and then your character is all like Wha? And maybe when your fighting him, the train is still moving, and when you kill him, You have to somehow stop the train

Admins
03-21-2005, 01:48 PM
For the train scene I have some ideas:
The train is going straight north, in a valley
1. You follow the train with hover bike, two soldiers from inside the train throw baggages to stop you. You need to avoid those. You cannot go left/right a lot because there are walls.
After some time the passengers push the soldiers out of the train.
2. From behind a car with more soldiers is coming, they shoot at you, but since you are driving high speed you can see the bullets moving and can avoid them. The care is coming closer and closer. To the right side the valley opens a little bit so that you can drive right of the train.
3. The valley is closing again so there is no space right to the train, but a path opens and you can go there. There are some obstacles and such on the path, at the end you leave the mountains behind, and you can finally go closer to the train and enter by pressing some key. Then you are inside the train and need to get to the front of the train, a little bit like in GoldenEye on N64.

Splke
03-21-2005, 02:51 PM
If there's going to be a president on it, I'm going to abort the mission just so that he dies. :]

Akoalin
03-21-2005, 02:54 PM
If we have teleporters, why use a train? I mean it's a no-brainer. If I'm in the middle of a war, I'm not going to randomly take a train somewhere. These missions need background... not just WOW! I SPONTANEOUSLY SPAWNED ON A TRAIN!

Crono
03-21-2005, 03:15 PM
But teleporters only go from one teleporter to another. =o

Gambet
03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
If we have teleporters, why use a train? I mean it's a no-brainer. If I'm in the middle of a war, I'm not going to randomly take a train somewhere. These missions need background... not just WOW! I SPONTANEOUSLY SPAWNED ON A TRAIN!

Have you seen the ranks? Its currently the "Earth" ranks but we are going to continue adding ranks until it leads to things that are 'out of this world'. So, basically, the rank system will go from "Earth" to "Space" and so on.

Some missions wont deal with much technology while others may be a completely futuristic place. Remember, this is just one mission. Maybe we can even add story lines and add 'Scientists' that create things like teleporters and stuff to tie everything together. For now, just pretend that teleporters dont exist :).

pacMASTA
03-21-2005, 05:16 PM
For the train scene I have some ideas:
The train is going straight north, in a valley
1. You follow the train with hover bike, two soldiers from inside the train throw baggages to stop you. You need to avoid those. You cannot go left/right a lot because there are walls.
After some time the passengers push the soldiers out of the train.
2. From behind a car with more soldiers is coming, they shoot at you, but since you are driving high speed you can see the bullets moving and can avoid them. The care is coming closer and closer. To the right side the valley opens a little bit so that you can drive right of the train.
3. The valley is closing again so there is no space right to the train, but a path opens and you can go there. There are some obstacles and such on the path, at the end you leave the mountains behind, and you can finally go closer to the train and enter by pressing some key. Then you are inside the train and need to get to the front of the train, a little bit like in GoldenEye on N64.

Sounds pretty neat, I like high packed Button Mashing sceenes cause its not just walking around and killing people, Also im thinking their could be a boss fight and you have to be hiting Left,UP,Right,Down,A,S,D to be dodging and countering his attacks but if you fail he nocks you out or off of the train (A good location for this fight could be the leader fleeing and you corner him on the roof of the train or in the First Class section)

EDIT! -
I think the Conducter should be very tall maybe even chemicly mutated, I believe he should have a very rusty chain which will evantualy break in the button mashing fight and then it gos to big a fist fight and since hes big and tall you dodge his attack he gets it caught in machinary or something and you hit im with your knife, you continue this till he gos to a roof then its a counter, and dodge fight till he evantualy gets ot the edge and you finish him off with a nice kick, he falls down hits his head on a rock and splat, dead.

EDIT2! -
Trains would sitll eb around =/ Teleporters would sitll be EXPENSIVE not everyone would have them so viechels still would be used

Akoalin
03-21-2005, 11:44 PM
So, is this a subway sort of train? or a locomotive?

Gambet
03-22-2005, 12:21 AM
So, is this a subway sort of train? or a locomotive?

It could be a floating train for all I care >_<.

Akoalin
03-22-2005, 03:41 AM
It could be a floating train for all I care >_<.
or a bunch of dual jetbikes all connected.

zell12
03-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Sounds like that movie with Steven Saugaul er whoever he is. The wacko fellow takes over a train and starts shooting stuff with this government satilite he made. e.e

Gambet
03-22-2005, 04:53 AM
or a bunch of dual jetbikes all connected.

This isnt a roller coaster :whatever:.

fexii
03-22-2005, 05:23 AM
I like the story, it seems pretty interesting and action-packed. The plot seems good, the only thing that bothers me is that it seems a bit tedious to make in graal. I mean we can imagine it in our heads very grand but graal is pixel-art, not 3D rendering like in today's movies. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that it's a stretch to make it look like what it sounds like. Hover bike flying over the train and trains moving through valleys would be very impressive.

GoZelda
03-31-2005, 12:12 AM
the guys a whacko who wants to kill people so hes hired all these soldier like people and he's taken over a train station.
But if he's a wacko, how did he get the money to hire those people? And why would you serve a wacko?

Gambet
03-31-2005, 12:30 AM
But if he's a wacko, how did he get the money to hire those people? And why would you serve a wacko?

He's a rich wacko :). I'm sure a rich wacko could pay enough money to hire some people.

GoZelda
03-31-2005, 12:32 AM
He's a rich wacko
But how did he got rich as a wacko? And if he inherited it, would he have lost it soon since he's a wacko? Or if he was sane and earned a lot of cash, then went wacko, wouldn't the same apply?

p2p_Sir_Link
04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
What would the reward be for mission completion?

Gambet
04-04-2005, 05:31 PM
What would the reward be for mission completion?

We have not thought of this yet. I guess when we start building the actual mission we'll figure something out.

Crono
04-04-2005, 05:58 PM

mind control, duh!

Gurran_303
04-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I'd work for a mindless wacko...rich or not, as for how he got the money its probally from his disabled funds or from a wacko gang.

*edit It does sound like hard work with all the ciematics but if it is made im sure it will be amazing and make zone about the most popular server out there. There should maybe be a couple of secrets and Bonus objectives out there.