PDA

View Full Version : Iricia Map Idea

Gambet
03-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Currently, Iricia is quite small. I can get to the bases with my eyes closed. It takes less then a minute for me to travel from base to base, and that really limits things we can add to the server. What I mean by 'it limits things we can add to the server', well, for example: It limits the types of vehicles we can have on the map. We cant have helicopters or planes (like suggested in another thread), because the map is too small. So, I was thinking...why not double or even triple the size of Iricia? Make things a bit more challenging. In console games, you have to travel a great distant in muiltiplayer capture the flag games, and in games like Iricia where you need to capture bases. I think that the map is just too small to really do much with it. If you expand the map, then we can have more things added, and it would be more fun with the players.

EDIT: This could also be done to the other maps also.

Any comments or suggestions?

Kaimetsu
03-07-2005, 11:15 PM
why not double or even triple the size of Iricia?

Because then you'd never see anybody.

Gambet
03-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Because then you'd never see anybody.

Actually, think about it Kai. It would increase teamwork, because people would have to travel in groups and work as a team if they hoped to win. The new team sounds would have more meaning, since you could know where your teammates need help, and where they need help, would also be where they are, so you would be able to find them.

Also, maybe a special key could be assigned to a special map which indicates exactly where your teammates are in the map.

Many things can be added if the map is doubled or tripled in size. Would be fun :).

tao_clan1
03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Something else that would need to change is that as soon as all the bases are obtained, the team with the bases instantly wins. Otherwise, when there is a small amount of players on, you could never hold all the bases unless there is a minimum of 10 players online all playing. I don't think there are enough players for making any bigger maps. It could be done, but it would be a gamble: If we make bigger maps, then we could add stuff and improve Zone to then attract more players and it would work. But if it doesn't attract players enough, it could ruin it because it would be too big for the number of players that play it. That's why I think this is an all or nothing situation., but it would be a good idea. I think it should only be done in a week where there are lots of people playing zone for the whole week, like during the summer vacation for example. It would be less risky this way.

Gambet
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Something else that would need to change is that as soon as all the bases are obtained, the team with the bases instantly wins. Otherwise, when there is a small amount of players on, you could never hold all the bases unless there is a minimum of 10 players online all playing. I don't think there are enough players for making any bigger maps. It could be done, but it would be a gamble: If we make bigger maps, then we could add stuff and improve Zone to then attract more players and it would work. But if it doesn't attract players enough, it could ruin it because it would be too big for the number of players that play it. That's why I think this is an all or nothing situation., but it would be a good idea. I think it should only be done in a week where there are lots of people playing zone for the whole week, like during the summer vacation for example. It would be less risky this way.

Stefan could always make a backup of the current levels and save it, so if the enlarged version doesnt work out, he can easily upload a backup. That wouldnt be a problem.

tao_clan1
03-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Stefan could always make a backup of the current levels and save it, so if the enlarged version doesnt work out, he can easily upload a backup. That wouldnt be a problem.

I thought of that, but it scares me XD Because often, once players leave a game and start to get addicted to another, they don't want to come back to the first one, even if it has improved or become good again, so it's quite risky to do it now in my opinion :\

I think that it should be worked on a lot over a period of a few months to make it really good, and then it could be uploaded in the summer.

Gambet
03-07-2005, 11:34 PM
I thought of that, but it scares me XD Because often, once players leave a game and start to get addicted to another, they don't want to come back to the first one, even if it has improved or become good again, so it's quite risky to do it now in my opinion :\

Everyday there is an average of about 50 players online. Those 50 players are loyal to the server. I'm pretty sure that if the map is enlarged, it wont drop the current average of players. It will attract more players, and then if those players like it, they will stay. I know for sure that I would stay with Zone, not just because I work there, but because I love the server. I'm sure you would stay also Tao, and I'm sure of a few others that would stay also. The levels are just too small to really do much. The players that go on daily, will most likely stay, because it would be on a trial basis. If everyone likes it and it attracts players, then it would stay enlarged. If not, then it would be returned to original size.

I think a lot more players would play in Zone wasnt a Gold server. The fact that it is a Gold server really does kill the playercount. If Zone was classic, then I bet the playercount would be around the 100's daily (give or take a few).

maximus_asinus
03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Most levels on Zone are too big for the playercount unless you have all 20 - 30 people playing the same map.

Gambet
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Most levels on Zone are too big for the playercount unless you have all 20 - 30 people playing the same map.

The only time there isnt atleast like 25 people on is at night time. Right now there's 30 people on Iricia playing. There definately is enough people to enlarge the map.

maximus_asinus
03-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Every game has one or two close quarters maps to make them interesting. Why do you want them all to be large?

Gambet
03-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Every game has one or two close quarters maps to make them interesting. Why do you want them all to be large?

Not all of them need to be large, but Iricia can definately use a size enhance.

fexii
03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Iricia hasn't reached the point where it's overflowing. Should that ever happen, I'm sure players will flow into the other maps already existing. This will make other maps more active and eliminate the need to expand Iricia.

Gurran_303
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Its a good ideal but there would need to be a improved radar or that to plan you moves and see what bases are defended by team mates, it would also make medics have to be used more sparringly than "Medic to B1" as they cant travel that distant as fast.

Googi
04-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Larger map = less confrontations, which is bad.

Gurran_303
04-26-2005, 12:56 AM
True...though there would be...o..never mind that is a pretty good point, maybe they should just add vehicles to it for more variety in battles.
Their top priority now should be solo and co-op missions for zone i only feel that they will be after six months when i get gold for a third time.

Akoalin
04-26-2005, 12:59 AM
Not that many people play Zone. I'de hate to have it even worse where it takes 20 minutes to find someone to kill.

SayianOozaru
04-26-2005, 02:05 AM
I have to agree with gambet, because, now that i have jetpack, the levels ARE 2 SMALL!!!!! like when i use the jetpack to come down from base and get b5, i can get b4, and b3 with no trouble, then b's 1+2 are really close too b3 so i can choose witch one to get first.....what i'm saying is maybe the levels should be mulitplied to x2 or x3, and add more bases, that way you have to guard more, and this will also make the game last longer than maybe 10 min., Plus if the levels were bigger, for those of you that lag all the time, or don't have a jet pack, or simply just don't feel like walking around, maybe we could have teleporters to certain areas(got that from Halo2) or to more than one base, and maybe we could also have a teleporter that comes and goes to all bases......and maybe we could add helicopters that could transport people, but couldn't attack people (would help with snipers, attacking from the sky:)) and maybe there would only be one helicopter at each base HQ, that way you don't have to worry that much about a group of people landing on you:) and the helicopters would only be able to hold like 6-10 people(exculding the driver)

Gurran_303
04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Of there was a form of transportation that was faster then yeah it would work, but for us without the jetpacks its a long walk. And an even longer walk would maybe deter me from the game, though with helicopters it would actually make me play more and add more variet to the game and a little tactics like landing all the troops near a base to get an all out sweep.

*edit Just a thought but maybe if graal(zone) got some small advertiments put up there would be enough customers attracted to make zone good enough to have a large map of ircia with a full 25v25 or even more.