PDA

View Full Version : Performence?

zim5354
02-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Well I got a new computer and people say I lag.....On my computer I dont lag but everyone else does and I doubt its my computer itself becuse I can play games like counter strike and starwars galexies and tribes vengence on full detail and still not lag at all (both online and offline) but for some reason people on graal say I lag I dont understand why but like is their a way I can fix this? On my old pc the crappy one I lag but they dont it doesnt make alot of sense well if anyone could help it would be great thanks.

leemanrulz
02-28-2005, 12:51 AM
It's internet lag that's causing it.

maximus_asinus
02-28-2005, 01:05 AM
(for a high speed connection): In the general options menu go to the general tab then check the box for disabling UDP.
In general options menu turn off music and other options if you wish.

thats two quick tips.

Benm00t
02-28-2005, 07:56 PM
You may want to check that your graphics card drivers are up-to-date also.

Kaimetsu
02-28-2005, 08:53 PM
(for a high speed connection): In the general options menu go to the general tab then check the box for disabling UDP

What? Why? Do you even know what UDP is?

calum
02-28-2005, 09:17 PM
What server does this occur, if its a server such as UN it would probably be a mixture of there scripts and just the type of immature people UN attracts.

Discharge
02-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Why does Graal even have lag problems? Its not like it has Ultra Graphics or anything...

Kaimetsu
03-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Why does Graal even have lag problems? Its not like it has Ultra Graphics or anything...

Quality of graphics is not related to network latency.

Admins
03-01-2005, 03:25 PM

There are different types of lag (I have written some little documentation about that in the scripting forum some months ago):
- network lag - depends mainly on your connection to the server, high bandwidth doesn't always mean low pings. Also if you have many players on the same area or scripts that send a lot of data it can increase the network lag.
- client engine lag - depends mainly on the drivers for graphics and sounds, you should check if you have the latest drivers for that; Graal might sometimes not look very high-end, but everything is dynamic and customizable, which means there are lot of different graphics and sounds and scripts, while other engines are optimized for a fixed "small" set of graphics. In Graal you have more than 1000 different body-gfx, more than 5000 different head-gfx. The light effects also require 3D card functionality even if it might look like a 2D effect.

In your case it looks like network lag. You have that problem on all servers or only a few ones ?

Discharge
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmm...good to know. You see I didn't know that, I always figure its because your computer is not recieving all the graphical data fast enough.

Kaimetsu
03-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Hmm...good to know. You see I didn't know that, I always figure its because your computer is not recieving all the graphical data fast enough

Well, it kind of depends on what you mean by 'graphical data'. The server just sends positions of players, names of ganis, things like that. The client does all of the rendering, so the complexity of the graphics doesn't really matter.

Even with things like rain effects, the server isn't sending the position of every raindrop. Each player's computer generates them individually, because the effect doesn't need to look exactly the same between different clients.