PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Upgrade

Soul-Blade
02-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Alright. I know this idea will likely be forgotten quickly, just as the space combat was, but I'm throwing this out there anyway.

The current graphics are...average to say the least. The graphical effects are like something I would expect from a freeware game. I would personally never pay to play a game with those kinds of graphics (no offense to those who have).

What I am proposing (and am offering my help in the matter) is slowly transforming the server with some more realistic graphics which step far, far away from the current graphics. What I am proposing are more realistic effects such as the star field in the background moving at a different speed then the tiles. Making the character sprites more realistic proportionally and making them 8 directional, or how ever many directions needed to make vehicle driving easier, and firing weapons easier.

If this was created into something much more visually pleasing then it would be a great deal easier to attract new players. People don't want to play a game like this; they want to play a game with nice realistic graphics or nice anime-cartoon graphics. Zone has neither, if anything it has low quality anime-cartoon graphics. What I am asking is at the very least make them high quality anime graphics, or at best make nice realistic graphics.

If nothing else, I think 8 directional character sprites is a more then reasonable proposal. 4 directions is simply insane for this type of a game.

Anyway, take what I've said how you want. I think it is a good idea. Hopefully everyone else does as well.

Admins
02-27-2005, 06:29 AM
It is planned that the planet-selection will be replaced with something nicer looking, less-laggy thing.

For the other things I agree that improving the visual quality is always a good thing, but I don't think that the character actually needs work. I can also say that it is impossible. Graal doesn't use very complex graphics, but at least on Zone it follows a style and looks ok for fun cartoon-style game. Because it is relatively simple it is also possible for players to make their own heads, hairs, bodies etc. (only 1 or 2 versions of each are made by Linux Cyberjoueurs itself). The same goes for weapons. The animations (ganis) can also be made in relatively short time (a few hours for all animations of a single weapon). Switching to 8 viewing directions would mean tons of work for the current characters and animations, and would also double the work for future additions. I would prefer spending that time on real improvements, like missions, new maps, balancing battles etc.

There are some things that could be switched to 8 directions, but it requires help for graphics makers. It would be interesing if the hover bikes or the mortar would be made 8-directional (actually the mortar currently only has 2 directions).

About the space combat: It's not forgotten, there are just some other more important things to do before I would have time to work on that, e.g. missions. Also the space combat would be more interesting with real 3d objects, which is not enabled yet on v2.

falco10291029
02-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Use screencaptured 3d objects, it's a little more work but that should work for v2 shouldnt it?

Soul-Blade
02-27-2005, 10:35 PM
It is planned that the planet-selection will be replaced with something nicer looking, less-laggy thing.

I wouldn't mind helping with that. I may work on something and see how you like it.

For the other things I agree that improving the visual quality is always a good thing, but I don't think that the character actually needs work. I can also say that it is impossible. Graal doesn't use very complex graphics, but at least on Zone it follows a style and looks ok for fun cartoon-style game. Because it is relatively simple it is also possible for players to make their own heads, hairs, bodies etc.

What I am proposing would reduce customization possibilities, but would greatly increase graphics quality and would attract a great deal more players. And that is the goal here, is it not? To attract more players.

Perhaps I would be better off creating something new rather then trying to improve what is already up - but if something new was created it would make the old obsolete just as GK made Graal 2001 obsolete, thereby wasting all the work put forth on the original. I don't think that is a good thing.

Switching to 8 viewing directions would mean tons of work for the current characters and animations, and would also double the work for future additions.

The concept is making better graphics but less customization - or perhaps making only things like weapons change appearence, or adding some other attributes that are not graphically demanding like force shields and orbs that spin around the player. There are many ways to have nice looking 8 directional characters without needing many new graphics.

All I am asking is to be a little more open minded...to switch from the oridinary and create something new and original that will truly bring forth new players and make this game much more lively.

I would prefer spending that time on real improvements, like missions, new maps, balancing battles etc.

Come now...those are small things that can be done as bigger projects are worked on. Less focus needs to be put on keeping players that are already there and more focus needs to be put on attracting new players. By attracting new players the players that are already there will have more people to compete with, and will increase the quality of the game far more then "missions, new maps, balancing battles etc". Community builds the game, and in order to attract a community you must create something which is on par with competition in the MMORPG world.

There are some things that could be switched to 8 directions, but it requires help for graphics makers. It would be interesing if the hover bikes or the mortar would be made 8-directional (actually the mortar currently only has 2 directions).

I'm glad your at least reasonable on this. If you do decide to keep the characters as they are, then changing vehicles to 8 directions would be a vast improvement. BUT, listen carefully to the following: If we switch things like hoverbikes to 8 directions, or more, we CANNOT show the players on the hovebikes. Mixing 4 directions with 8 directions looks extremely choppy. We can solve this by simply making the hoverbikes slightly bigger, and giving them a windshield type thing to give the illusion the player is inside. The same thing can apply to any other vehicle.

About the space combat: It's not forgotten, there are just some other more important things to do before I would have time to work on that, e.g. missions. Also the space combat would be more interesting with real 3d objects, which is not enabled yet on v2.

Not to be offensive, but it sounds to me like it is forgotten. Just as the castle combat was forgotten on Graal Kingdoms.

On that topic, I am willing to offer my help, and I might be able to recruit someone (like Jagen for instance) to help with it. I could most likely design the entire space system, put a hold on my current project, and finish this up for Zone because I am very eager to play a quality space system. Let me know if you would like that to be done.

Anyway, once again all I ask is for this stuff to be considered, and worked on sooner rather then later. These are very important additions I being up - FAR more important then insignificant enhancements such as "new missions" or whatever. Please consider it. I offer these suggestions along with my help.

Admins
02-28-2005, 03:40 AM
Actually I like the idea of expanding the current Kingdoms/Zone character to have 8 directions, might be even interesting for isometric servers or so. Changing the Kingdoms/Zone animations and items to have 8 directions would be quite impossible to do though, too much work. So it would be good for future projects.

Gambet
02-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Actually I like the idea of expanding the current Kingdoms/Zone character to have 8 directions, might be even interesting for isometric servers or so. Changing the Kingdoms/Zone animations and items to have 8 directions would be quite impossible to do though, too much work. So it would be good for future projects.

Its not impossible, it would just take too much time. Nothing is impossible, but things can be lenghtly.

Fun Fact: As humans, we only use X percent of the brain (I forgot the number). I bet if we used our whole brain, then we would solve every question in the universe.

Nappa
02-28-2005, 04:40 AM
Its not impossible, it would just take too much time. Nothing is impossible, but things can be lenghtly.

Fun Fact: As humans, we only use X percent of the brain (I forgot the number). I bet if we used our whole brain, then we would solve every question in the universe.

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Gambet
02-28-2005, 04:43 AM
I dont want to explain myself, because it would be off topic.

Anyways...soul, I think that would be a good idea, but it would get out of graal's 'graphics'. What I mean is, that graal is just a fun cartoonish game. You want to make something like CS, which would own, but wouldnt be like graal. I dont think the directors would want to do that.

pacMASTA
02-28-2005, 04:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not true.
we only use 50% of the brain ;) does that mean were basicly like WINDOWs?

falco10291029
02-28-2005, 05:00 AM

No that's actually a silly rumor, we use all of our brain. The thing it gets confused with si that our brains usually are working at 10% capacity.

On topic, I think that you should just make more missions and such. Graphics dont matter (to a point).

Soul-Blade
02-28-2005, 05:53 AM
I dont want to explain myself, because it would be off topic.

Anyways...soul, I think that would be a good idea, but it would get out of graal's 'graphics'. What I mean is, that graal is just a fun cartoonish game. You want to make something like CS, which would own, but wouldnt be like graal. I dont think the directors would want to do that.

I didn't realize CS was third person first off. Second off, I think CS is complete crap and that isn't what I am aiming for. I am just aiming for graphics that can equal the gameplay of this game.

Graal can't compete with other games. Period. I just want to see Graal capable of competing. I just want to see it talked about, even a little bit, on some big time sites. But I doubt it will ever happen with the mindset which has blanketed Graal. Oh well....I've just been here a while and wanted to see some major changes before I left it forever. Don't think it will happen. Doubt my current project will ever be popular. But Graal has been an analogy to life...I feel like I have so much to offer, and no one sees it. Or I'm just not speaking my mind clearly enough.

Anywho, got a little off track there. I think that the only way things will get done as respect to my ideas is if I do it myself. Maybe I will work on a "Zone Enhanced" or something of that nature to eventually replace Zone. Most likely not.

tao_clan1
02-28-2005, 05:55 AM
I dont think graphics would change much about the players that we get. I dont really know many people who would play a game just cuz the graphics are nice, or who wouldn't play a game just cuz the graphics suck. I really dont care about graphics, as long as the game is fun and the controls are good, I believe thats what matters to most people, meaning the missions and stuff would be a better thing to so than improving graphics. Besides, Zone graphics aren't THAT bad

Crono
02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
we only use 50% of the brain ;) does that mean were basicly like WINDOWs?

This is indeed one of the most retarded off topic windows trashing bs I've ever heard. I'd say shut up but nah.

I think Zone needs the bodies it had before. The ones now dont look attractive. I dont care for ultra-realistic graphics, I care for NICE graphics. Zone has DECENT graphics. Zone should just have a dedicated GFX team incase the demand for custom heads/bodies arises. Rights to ask GFX team members to make you certain custom body parts should be gained through events :o

EikeSiewertsen
03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
If X is something between 30 to 50:
You do know that this is just some wrong information which has found its way to the people? You shouldn't believe everything you've beeing told, especially not if the person telling you isn't qualified enugh.

Like Falco said (Ugh.), we use all of it, most of it is just reserved to body functions.
Of course I am not qualified either, but this is just some common misunderstanding.

falco10291029
03-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Like Falco said (Ugh.)

and whats the ugh supposed to mean?
:whatever:

Redwizard
03-04-2005, 03:02 AM
8 directional is out of the question. If 8 directional is added, everything which can be interacted with will have to have at least 4 more graphics made from scratch. Its pain staking enough to convert a front image to a sideimage, and vice versa. It is already hard to make body walk sprites, even in just one direction. The secret to making 8 direction things is to make a game with pixels barely above 25 for the character size.. or make it 3D. basically what im saying is it caaant be done lol :-p i agree with the graphics being.. mediocre though. The shapes are alright, but im not too fussed on the shading, the boxes look bloated and the walls look stripey. The terrain is good, but lack of different trees plays hell on terrain. Maybe get photo realistic trees like on gk...? I think the shading is all that needs work, to be honest. On the graal classic servers with graal classic bodies it would have blended in so well it woukld have been a best server. But due tot he standard of the bodies.. and the lack of standard of the tiles, especially most of the blocking tiles, the server does look as though it has unlocked potentiol. Im also willing to help

Akoalin
03-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Maybe get photo realistic trees like on gk...?
GKs graphics are... messy. We wouldn't want to be messy, now would we?

Soul-Blade
03-08-2005, 02:41 AM
8 directional is out of the question. If 8 directional is added, everything which can be interacted with will have to have at least 4 more graphics made from scratch. Its pain staking enough to convert a front image to a sideimage, and vice versa. It is already hard to make body walk sprites, even in just one direction. The secret to making 8 direction things is to make a game with pixels barely above 25 for the character size.. or make it 3D. basically what im saying is it caaant be done lol :-p i agree with the graphics being.. mediocre though. The shapes are alright, but im not too fussed on the shading, the boxes look bloated and the walls look stripey. The terrain is good, but lack of different trees plays hell on terrain. Maybe get photo realistic trees like on gk...? I think the shading is all that needs work, to be honest. On the graal classic servers with graal classic bodies it would have blended in so well it woukld have been a best server. But due tot he standard of the bodies.. and the lack of standard of the tiles, especially most of the blocking tiles, the server does look as though it has unlocked potentiol. Im also willing to help

8 directions CAN be done, because I have DONE them. And they were not insanely hard to do. Actually, it is rather easy. Because 4 directions are already implemented, adding 4 more directions half way in between the current ones is extremely easy.

Other then that I agree.