PDA

View Full Version : Bullet time

Redwizard
02-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Maybe there could be a pickup that appears in a world at certain times, in random places (off wall so players can pick it up) and when it is fired it could slow down the speed of enemies bullets, and possibly speed up their own temporarily?When its fired, it then goes from their inventory and does not re appear for 5 more minutes. Just a small brainstorm, what do you think?

Fogles
02-27-2005, 05:14 AM
seems pretty cool...its to much like MaxPayne..and that game sucks. :spam:

Kaimetsu
02-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Would it slow down everybody on the battlefield? Or just the nearby people? How is 'nearby' defined? Would there be a time differential gradient?

Nitro2030ce
02-27-2005, 08:12 PM
seems pretty cool...its to much like MaxPayne..and that game sucks. :spam:it doesnt suck, have u even played it? i think its a good idea, sounds cool

Redwizard
03-02-2005, 12:41 AM
It will slow down everyone who is within a radius of 1 level around the player. Only for a temporary amount of time, and maybe even lighteffects could be used as waves trailing behind the bullets/projectiles? As i wont last very long it will make the player not want to waste it, so it wont be considered a super powerup of any sort as it will take an amount of tactics and strategy, so if the player does not use it at the right time... well its anybodies guess who could win the day.

Kaimetsu
03-02-2005, 08:30 AM
It will slow down everyone who is within a radius of 1 level around the player

So what happens if I'm on the edge of the slowdown effect? Worse, what if I'm just outside, and shooting at the people within? Graal's projectiles can't change speed in mid-flight.

Gambet
03-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Instead of it slowing down for everyone, why not make it so it only slows down for you? I mean, of course things would have to be adjusted so you would be able to like do several neat tricks and be able to dodge bullets (matrix style :)), also, since you are in slow-motion sort of mode, maybe you could see other players moving slower then they really are, to give it more of an effect. Now, the person in slow motion mode will have to be given some sort of special effects so that they couldnt be owned easily...sort of like a good way of dodging bullets coming towards them, but it cant be impossible.

Not sure if you guys understood what I meant, but if you did, then great.

Kaimetsu
03-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Instead of it slowing down for everyone, why not make it so it only slows down for you?

Because then everybody would shoot you.

Akoalin
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM
My thinking exactly.

Gambet
03-03-2005, 10:06 PM

I can see you didnt understand what I meant.

Things would have to be adjusted, like heres a perfect example:

The TV show Smallville (I know it airs in the U.S not sure about anywhere else) is about Superman. The main characrer, Clark Kent, plays the role of superman. He has 'super speed', but it really isnt 'super speed'. Basically, he goes into this sort of mode where everything around him, except himself, is in very very very slow motion, so if he were to run, it would look like hes going really fast.

I think some things can be adjusted, so that everything slows down for you, but not for anyone else. Of course, Kai, you are right on the fact that people would be able to shoot you, but while in this special mode, you would be able to dodge bullets and do different tricks to kill other players and do defend yourself.

Admins
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
The problem that different speed for players is not really possible, technically, because we all live in the same time :)
What would be possible is to slow down the bullets for everyone, when they are shot. That could look quite funny, must be balanced somehow though so that the one who is not slowed down cannot kill too easily and just annoy the other people. Probably the bullets should fly slowly and the players move slowly and the sound effects changed ?

Gambet
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
That wouldnt be fun...it would be irritating.

Admins
03-03-2005, 11:35 PM
That wouldnt be fun...it would be irritating.

Might make more sense in the missions may be

Gambet
03-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Might make more sense in the missions may be

Not in just one mission, but maybe in every mission that has a boss in it.

How it would work:

When you are one hit away from killing the boss, and you fire, the bullets will go slow and so will you and the boss, so that when the bullets hit the boss, it could make a cool killing effect.

Kaimetsu
03-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I can see you didnt understand what I meant

No, you just don't understand the limitations of the engine.

I think some things can be adjusted, so that everything slows down for you, but not for anyone else

How? What happens to bullets? What speed do they travel? Make sense, boy.

while in this special mode, you would be able to dodge bullets and do different tricks to kill other players and do defend yourself.

Can you automatically dodge every single bullet that intersects with you? Because you're gonna get killed otherwise.