PDA

View Full Version : Known Issues with Graal 3.14

Evil_Trunks
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
The event "playerenters" isn't triggered clientside when an NPC is created.
This is a huge problem, many scripts rely upon playerenters to initialize values, etc. If the NPCs download fast then they will have it called, but if they take a while to download then it doesn't work since it's creating them after the client triggered playerenters on everything (I think.) This also happens with putnpc2 NPCs, and gani scripts.
save[] isn't supported.
Although this is deprecated, it's very useful for easily storing on/off flags, etc. I'd at least like someone to say he left this out on purpose and will no longer support it.
The right side of the screen doesn't redraw for GUI level things.
Screenshot included.
showpoly isn't working correctly.
The flag "playerreading" doesn't work.
Shields often show up in the wrong position.
This may be because abnormally-sized shields aren't drawn the same as they used to be.

Evil_Trunks
02-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Was this at all helpful? :frown:

Ajira
02-22-2005, 06:28 AM
The right side of the screen doesn't redraw for GUI level things.Screenshot included.
This can be quite annoying, although I believe it is the rightmost side of the level, not the screen itself. But I agree, it should be fixed.

Admins
02-22-2005, 04:13 PM
The event "playerenters" isn't triggered clientside when an NPC is created.
This is a huge problem, many scripts rely upon playerenters to initialize values, etc. If the NPCs download fast then they will have it called, but if they take a while to download then it doesn't work since it's creating them after the client triggered playerenters on everything (I think.) This also happens with putnpc2 NPCs, and gani scripts.

"Playerenters" is working good. The only problem in versions <3.15 is that the clientside part of a joined class is not receiving the event if it has not been loaded before. For releasing v3.15 for windows I need to wait for an updated version of the setup though.

save[] isn't supported.
Although this is deprecated, it's very useful for easily storing on/off flags, etc. I'd at least like someone to say he left this out on purpose and will no longer support it.

Was only bugged on old versions of the npcserver.

The right side of the screen doesn't redraw for GUI level things.
Screenshot included.

Would need to check that, have not seen that yet.

showpoly isn't working correctly.

It's working much better than in v2, may be you have made it fully transparent with changeimgcolors ?

The flag "playerreading" doesn't work.

Hmmm It looks like playerreading was not mapped on player.reading, will fix this today.

Shields often show up in the wrong position.
This may be because abnormally-sized shields aren't drawn the same as they used to be.

Need to check that, have seen weird things on Unholy Nation but was not sure if it was meant to be like that.

Lance
02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Need to check that, have seen weird things on Unholy Nation but was not sure if it was meant to be like that.

I can confirm the weird shield thing. stylez-scabbard-shield.png is a good example of it drawing in the wrong place.

Polo
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
"Playerenters" is working good. The only problem in versions <3.15 is that the clientside part of a joined class is not receiving the event if it has not been loaded before.

I using 2.3.whatever and have noticed that if (playerenters) is not called the first time, then sometimes I wont be able to get it to call at all without reconnecting x_x

Admins
02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I using 2.3.whatever and have noticed that if (playerenters) is not called the first time, then sometimes I wont be able to get it to call at all without reconnecting x_x

I have not heard of any problem with that on v2.3 x-x

Update:
Ok uploaded a new version of the npcserver, playerpaused should work now, you just need to restart the npcserver (only required if you are using the new scripting engine)

Benm00t
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I can confirm the weird shield thing. stylez-scabbard-shield.png is a good example of it drawing in the wrong place.

It's been like that forever and a day for me...

PrinceOfKenshin
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
how did use rc with that i am like daized and confused on how to use gscript2

calani
02-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Kenshin, that RC is just a weapon script with a gui and some sendtorc's =] ... scarily easy to make.

Back on topic:
I've encountered the (playerenters) event not being triggered once or twice. I use the (created) event for one-time initialization, though, so it isn't much of a concern. I only use (playerenters) for just that, initialization of player-specific vars, not for the script initialization.
Anyways, an easy fix for the problem you're experiencing would be to include the (playerenters) code in the (created) block so it runs for the first player as well.

Here's another bug I've found:
When saving/loading a file, all the newlines get doubled. This makes it extremely difficult to make a notepad-style script.
I've only tested this on a Windows computer... not sure if that bears any relevance to the problem (I was thinking CRLF (windows) vs CR (linux) for newlines might have something to do with it).

Evil_Trunks
02-23-2005, 08:39 AM
I have not heard of any problem with that on v2.3 x-x
I can second this bug on 2.3. You may have luck reproducing it on classic, it occurs often in the level cutscene_intro_01.nw on Classic and levels following it as well.
I think the problem has to do with classes.

Hmmm It looks like playerreading was not mapped on player.reading, will fix this today.
Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about the 3.14 client not recognizing playerreading, but updating the npc server can fix that? I'm a little confused.

It's working much better than in v2, may be you have made it fully transparent with changeimgcolors ?
It doesn't work well for me. Try the weapon Evil/showpoly on Classic. It works fine with 2.3 but not at all with 3.14.

save[] vars
Was only bugged on old versions of the npcserver.
Same thing as before, you are talking about the npcserver, but isn't the problem with the client? 2.3 is working fine with save[] vars but 3.14 is not working with them at all, I just tested.

One more thing, the current RC program can't save classes correctly which are containing the \ character. It saves fine in Client-RC though (I think.)

Thanks for responding to my post.

Admins
02-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about the 3.14 client not recognizing playerreading, but updating the npc server can fix that? I'm a little confused.

The server is compiling the script and only sending the byte code to the v3.14 client. The client has a "reading" variable for the player, but to be able to access it by using "playerreading" the compiler needs to map it on "player.reading".

It doesn't work well for me. Try the weapon Evil/showpoly on Classic. It works fine with 2.3 but not at all with 3.14.

Ok I have checked that, wondering why it is actually showing something in v2.3. The rule about showpoly is:
- 2 points - a line
- more points - a polygon where only the space between the points is filled. In your scripts the polygon is going points a,b,c,d,e etc. then back e,d,c,b,a, so not spanning any volume. I have modified your script slightly so the second points are not the same and you get some space between them, so the polygon is showing correctly in v3.1. Please in the future if you want to draw lines then just draw 2 points or draw a polygon with a volume.

Same thing as before, you are talking about the npcserver, but isn't the problem with the client? 2.3 is working fine with save[] vars but 3.14 is not working with them at all, I just tested.

They work, may be you need to restart your npcserver. That bug has been fixed like 3 weeks ago. The save vars were working, but were not sent to the client.

One more thing, the current RC program can't save classes correctly which are containing the \ character. It saves fine in Client-RC though (I think.)

Special characters are not allowed for class names.

Admins
02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Here's another bug I've found:
When saving/loading a file, all the newlines get doubled. This makes it extremely difficult to make a notepad-style script.
I've only tested this on a Windows computer... not sure if that bears any relevance to the problem (I was thinking CRLF (windows) vs CR (linux) for newlines might have something to do with it).

What exactly is the problem with the attached file? Graal saves files just with a normal line end "\n" so they work fine on Unixes and with editors like Wordpad. When it's loading files then Graal is accepting both unix "\n" and dos "\r\n"

Evil_Trunks
02-23-2005, 10:50 PM
The server is compiling the script and only sending the byte code to the v3.14 client. The client has a "reading" variable for the player, but to be able to access it by using "playerreading" the compiler needs to map it on "player.reading".
playerreading is working in level NPC scripts, but not yet for weapons

weapons work correctly when I use player.reading, so it must be a mapping problem

not spanning any volume.
Thanks for figuring that out for me. :) There are still strange bugs with showpoly. When people use the drawing tool and make lines all over the level, it doesn't show most of their drawing to the other players. It usually only messes up when people try to draw all over the level at once. It has been like this for as long as I can remember though.

They work, may be you need to restart your npcserver. That bug has been fixed like 3 weeks ago. The save vars were working, but were not sent to the client.
It is not working for 3.14. I made a level on Classic: levels/evil_save.nw

function onActionLeftMouse() {
if (save[0] == 1) save[0] = 0;
else save[0] = 1;
player.chat = "set save[0] to "@save[0];
}
//#CLIENTSIDE
if (playerenters || timeout) {
if (save[0] == 1) message save[0] == 1;
else message save[0] != 1;
timeout = 0.05;
}

Special characters are not allowed for class names.
I am using \ inside the class, not as the class name. It doesn't save the class correctly.

Admins
02-24-2005, 08:50 PM
For save[] you restarted the npcserver already ?

Evil_Trunks
02-25-2005, 12:22 AM
For save[] you restarted the npcserver already ?
yes, Storm started it yesterday when I asked him

calani
02-25-2005, 09:08 AM
What exactly is the problem with the attached file? Graal saves files just with a normal line end "\n" so they work fine on Unixes and with editors like Wordpad. When it's loading files then Graal is accepting both unix "\n" and dos "\r\n"

The problem is that every \n that is saved gets loaded as \n\n somehow.
There should still be a copy uploaded on babylon if you want to look at it.