PDA

View Full Version : Blood effect

Admins
02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Some people were asking me if we should add some blood effect like on Era. I have made the gani for the blood effect on Era, so it wouldn't be a technical problem, but I don't know if it would really fit because Zone is more about fun shooting and not realism, what do you think ?

Lance
02-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I do not think it would fit. Zone is not really an attempt at simulating a style of life.

Kaimetsu
02-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Hm. It would have some merit:

It would make it easier to see that you've hit your opponent.
It could be extended such that wounded players leave trails of blood.
It would allow medics to easily identify people that need to be healed.

On the other hand, I think it would be a little too gruesome to fit Zone's style. Gorefests can be pretty tasteless.

oinknessx
02-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Just change the blood from red to gray, it can be sweat...

Snakeandy7
02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Gray, hm no.
Do you mean like a wound system or? (so your HP reduces as you move when bleeding)

Akoalin
02-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I think zone shoudn't have blood... it never looks nice...

oinknessx
02-12-2005, 02:30 AM
They changed the blood gray in Mortal Kombat on the super nintendo way back in the day, because Nintendo didn't want blood in their game. Making it gray is just an option instead of making it red if you want it to be cleaner... Then atleast you could have the gray "sweat" so you would know that you are shooting people and stuff. :)

falco10291029
02-12-2005, 02:48 AM
I want it but to avoid controversy make it an option in the game.

oinknessx
02-12-2005, 06:12 AM
I want it but to avoid controversy make it an option in the game.
Now THATs a better idea! In fact, Stef could work up a whole GUI for choosing what you want on and what you want off..

For example,

Kill Messages: On / Off
Blood: On / Off

And what other settings you could change. Like mass messages?

Snakeandy7
02-12-2005, 10:40 AM
That would be good, pretty easy aswell :D

Kaimetsu
02-12-2005, 01:44 PM
There's another factor, guys. What if parents don't want their children seeing gore?

Crono
02-12-2005, 02:23 PM
There's another factor, guys. What if parents don't want their children seeing gore?

Then their kids shouldn't be playing a gun server. Whats worst? Seeing some stupid gore or their kids shooting people on a video game?

I think that there should be blood. Nothing wrong with it and like falc said, there should be an option. Most players on Graal are over 13, kai, I dont think they're happy-happy mormon boys anymore.

Kaimetsu
02-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Whats worst? Seeing some stupid gore or their kids shooting people on a video game?

The former.

Most players on Graal are over 13, kai

How old do you need to be before you see copious blood in movies? And what does "most" matter?

The potential to offend outweighs the meagre benefit.

Blitz_Hunter
02-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I think it would be cool to have but with an option to turn it off or on. :redface:

Crono
02-12-2005, 06:28 PM
The former.

On a 2d game where blood wouldn't be detailed anyway and the only thing showing would be blood?

How old do you need to be before you see copious blood in movies? And what does "most" matter?

Over 13? I'm assuming since thats when you turn into a teenager...

The potential to offend outweighs the meagre benefit.

Maybe to you but not everyone would agree. If out of 100 people 1 was offended by a drop of blood I would have to disagree.

falco10291029
02-12-2005, 07:55 PM
I think that there should be blood. Nothing wrong with it and like falc said, there should be an option. Most players on Graal are over 13, kai, I dont think they're happy-happy mormon boys anymore.

wow Gerami agreed with me ;)

The former.

What is your reasoning for this? Seeing violence like guns will negatively affect a young kid's mind more than seeing blood, which they know exists anyway. The only reason any games have the option to turn it off is if it offends them, not becaus eit puts bad thoughts in their heads. In my opinion, if a child isn't offended by gore, then the parents shouldn't have a problem. Of course if they do for some reason they can use the option to turn it off.

LordZen
02-12-2005, 10:42 PM
*sigh* if we have to make such a big deal about a couple of red pixels, add ricochet detail, or sparks or something, for when bullets actually hit you. And so medics can see who needs to be healed, either show some sort of special indicator over people that only medics on the same team can see OR have electricity show on a players armor ever so often to show that their suites are weak or something (but that might have the negative effect of letting the enemy better target people who are already on the brink of death).

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 02:08 AM
On a 2d game where blood wouldn't be detailed anyway and the only thing showing would be blood?

Yes.

Over 13?

Much older than thirteen, depending on the quantity of blood. By contrast, you're allowed to see guns much sooner.

Maybe to you but not everyone would agree. If out of 100 people 1 was offended by a drop of blood I would have to disagree.

What exactly is the benefit? Unless there's a lot of blood (more than you see on Era), it doesn't serve any practical purpose.

What is your reasoning for this? Seeing violence like guns will negatively affect a young kid's mind more than seeing blood, which they know exists anyway

They don't know guns exist? Seeing blood reifies the violence.

if a child isn't offended by gore, then the parents shouldn't have a problem. Of course if they do for some reason they can use the option to turn it off.

Right. Which will last about ten minutes, until the child turns it back on.

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 02:11 AM

Then that's a parent/child problem not a parent/graal problem. As long as there is an option for allowing it or not to allow it. :redface:

Admins
02-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Hmmm we could also display some skulls over the head if someone is close to die

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Then that's a parent/child problem

Well, yes it is. But it's also something that could turn parents away from Graal, and that's to be avoided.

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Well, yes it is. But it's also something that could turn parents away from Graal, and that's to be avoided.

Hmm, possibly. I don't think it should turn them away from Graal though if it allows the child to turn the effect off, but some parents are like that I'm assuming. :redface:

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't think it should turn them away from Graal though if it allows the child to turn the effect off

Children don't tend to see things the same way as their parents. And I don't think "should" is something that should concern us.

MysticalDragon
02-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Children don't tend to see things the same way as their parents. And I don't think "should" is something that should concern us.

All do respect, but im a parent.I dont think any different then i do now, then before i had a daughter? And did you see the news when San Andreas was released? Parents where BUYING thier kids the game? I dont think a game like (graal) with a tad bit of blood ,would get parents to be biassed against the game?

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 02:47 AM
It's Graal..not like its Doom 3 or anything. :redface: If a parent gets upset then there is something wrong with them.. :eek:

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 02:47 AM
All do respect, but im a parent.I dont think any different then i do now, then before i had a daughter?

You're, what, nineteen? You are not a typical parent.

And did you see the news when San Andreas was released? Parents where BUYING thier kids the game?

All parents? None of them were complaining about it at all? Nobody tried to get GTA banned?

If a parent gets upset then there is something wrong with them

Again, that is perhaps true. But it is still not important. Explanations won't stop Graal from losing revenue.

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 02:53 AM
u r annoying me :eek:

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 02:56 AM
u r annoying me

Oh no!! D:

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 03:10 AM
:frown:

falco10291029
02-13-2005, 03:23 AM
They don't know guns exist? Seeing blood reifies the violence.

They know blood exists as well. What i am trying to say is that if a child saw someone shooting someone, and a different child saw someone with a bleeding cut, geuss which one will be more affected?

maybe stefan can add a parental blocker for it ;)

Admins
02-13-2005, 03:33 AM
And did you see the news when San Andreas was released? Parents where BUYING thier kids the game?
Ah yes San Andreas, I have seen children having fun with cutting the throat of people, games are getting lower and lower x-x

falco10291029
02-13-2005, 03:56 AM
I want that game lol.

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 04:09 AM
What i am trying to say is that if a child saw someone shooting someone, and a different child saw someone with a bleeding cut, geuss which one will be more affected?

Irrelevant. The shooting is already an element of Zone, we are simply talking about whether or not blood should be added. And as I said, it reifies the violence, and is more likely to prompt complaints than the shooting itself.

Ah yes San Andreas, I have seen children having fun with cutting the throat of people, games are getting lower and lower x-x

I would say that the children and the parents are the ones getting lower :( If the games are being intentionally gruesome then it's only in response to a demand for that kind of thing. And it wouldn't be as much of a problem if parents had the sense to control what their children see.

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 04:38 AM
I would say that the children and the parents are the ones getting lower :( If the games are being intentionally gruesome then it's only in response to a demand for that kind of thing. And it wouldn't be as much of a problem if parents had the sense to control what their children see.

We in the U.S. have <3 for violence. ^^ ^^

falco10291029
02-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Irrelevant. The shooting is already an element of Zone, we are simply talking about whether or not blood should be added. And as I said, it reifies the violence, and is more likely to prompt complaints than the shooting itself.

Seeing tiny dabs of pixelized blood won't offend little kids, wont change them. It's something that society today is used to. Little kids see news reports all the time that have bloodied corpses and the like on them.

Kaimetsu
02-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Seeing tiny dabs of pixelized blood won't offend little kids, wont change them

I didn't claim that it would do either, but that's not the point. There's nothing to be gained from adding 'tiny dabs', and it has the potential to upset parents. What's the point?

Blitz_Hunter
02-13-2005, 07:30 AM
gameplay is better

falco10291029
02-13-2005, 08:26 AM
yes, all of us deep down inside feel satisfaction when we spill virtual blood ;)

Magadal
02-16-2005, 04:42 PM
it mustnt be red blood...what do u think about blue or green blood?would be cool