PDA

View Full Version : Strafe

Admins
01-31-2005, 08:59 PM
I am wondering if the strafing should be made easier. Right now you need to press the Shift key to strafe, but somehow I am pressing that key 90% of the time. May be it should also strafe when you keep S or D pressed, while rapid continuous fire ?

Zurkiba
01-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Steal Era's strafe system. I think Chrisz did a good job in that one.

Admins
01-31-2005, 10:32 PM

How is that working ?

Nappa
01-31-2005, 10:36 PM
You could always log on and find out >_> (I don't play Era so I can't tell you)

Spark910
01-31-2005, 10:39 PM
How is that working ?
I think you hold SHIFT while online.

Moonite
01-31-2005, 10:44 PM
How is that working ?

if u watch this way ->
and u press 1
he will watch the hole time this was ->

then u press 1 again and the strafe is over

Admins
01-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Ah with the key you are enabling/disabling strafe, instead of holding the strafe key pressed ?

Evil_Trunks
01-31-2005, 11:58 PM
you can hardly call using such a simple idea "stealing"

Zurkiba
02-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Ah with the key you are enabling/disabling strafe, instead of holding the strafe key pressed ?
Yes, when you press a button (like shift) it locks it in strafe mode and you dont turn until you hit strafe again.

Admins
02-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Yes, when you press a button (like shift) it locks it in strafe mode and you dont turn until you hit strafe again.

Wouldn't that be hard to control while fighting ?
I like my idea of automatically strafing if you keep the weapon keys (S or D) pressed. Still allow strafe with Shift, but also strafe if you keep the fire key pressed, for people that have problems/are too lazy to hold several keys pressed at once.

oinknessx
02-01-2005, 01:51 AM
I like my idea of automatically strafing if you keep the weapon keys (S or D) pressed. Still allow strafe with Shift, but also strafe if you keep the fire key pressed, for people that have problems/are too lazy to hold several keys pressed at once.
It's possible to strafe on classic graal by holding left and right at the same time, the only problem is that the character always faces right. It's very useful for spars though.

If you start shooting the weapon, you should strafe against the direction you are facing.. So, I mean:

strafe ^
me -- shooting >
strafe v

p.s., off topic here... i sent you and unix the contract for the music job on graal... did it already start, or do I wait until someone talks to me about it? :)

Zurkiba
02-01-2005, 03:06 AM
I use S to move down and D to move right, I think others use the same o.o

Chris
02-01-2005, 04:10 AM
It's very hard. It's easier to hold a key to strafe instead of having to constantly readjust while fighting.

osrs
02-01-2005, 04:16 AM
I think your idea is better, Stefan. It would be easier to control, I think so.

Splke
02-01-2005, 06:36 AM

Look at the people on Era.. they've goten quite good at it, and I think it's an awesome idea anyways. I hate holding down shift, in all honesty.

Kaimetsu
02-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Mouse aiming! Holding the right mouse button enables strafing! >:O

Admins
02-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Mouse aiming! Holding the right mouse button enables strafing! >:O

Well while "sparring" I have the left hand on Shift + S and the right hand on the cursor keys, so no hand left for the mouse ;)
I think we can enable the strafe-while-firing and additionally a key for lock/unlock strafe for people who like the era way of strafing (key "1" ?)

Kaimetsu
02-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Well while "sparring" I have the left hand on Shift + S and the right hand on the cursor keys, so no hand left for the mouse ;)

You could always use WSAD for movement and put the other stuff on keys like Q and E :-p

But I guess that'd be a pretty drastic change at this stage in Zone's development. As another option, you could make a key to tell it to lock onto a particular player (or auto-lock to the nearest player?), so the character automatically faces him?

Arkan1k
02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
You could just use the "0/Ins" on the numpad.
As simple as moving your pinky finger across and holding it down.
I also like Kai's idea of locking onto a particular player. Then by pressing left or right you circle the selected player and by pressing up or down you move further away or closer to the selected player.
That would work very nice.
But then I guess it comes to the fact of firing. You would need to change the shoot to shoot towards the selected player instead of just shooting in the direction you are facing (playerdir).

Kaimetsu
02-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I also like Kai's idea of locking onto a particular player. Then by pressing left or right you circle the selected player and by pressing up or down you move further away or closer to the selected player

That is not what I meant. I am not necessarily advocating any alteration to how the movement keys work.

Spark910
02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
you can hardly call using such a simple idea "stealing"
He means don't do any scripting yourself and just take Eras and voila, one Strafe system ready to strafe! Of course it would need to be edited quite a bit I assume, to fit in with Zone. But yeah, he was suggesting stealing the script - not the idea.

LordZen
02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I like kaimetsu's mouse strafe idea. It at least makes sense to add that as a way to strafe in addition to the other ways considering you can already use the mouse to move and fire (I think).

Admins
02-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I like kaimetsu's mouse strafe idea. It at least makes sense to add that as a way to strafe in addition to the other ways considering you can already use the mouse to move and fire (I think).

But is anyone using the mouse movement right now ? Problem is that even if people use the mouse movement while fighting, the left mouse and right mouse key are already used (for movment and firing).

LordZen
02-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Well I use the mouse to move because alot of times its alot easier for me to run with it..

Arkan1k
02-02-2005, 03:31 PM
That is not what I meant. I am not necessarily advocating any alteration to how the movement keys work.

Yes I know, but I was. I could sense you saying this as soon as I clicked on submit.

LordZen
02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Make left click for walking, and holding right click to strafe. I tried firing with the mouse in-game and it didnt work (I may have done it wrong tho), and plus you can use S/D to fire with your left hand while at the same time using the right hand for moving and strafing.

Kaimetsu
02-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Make left click for walking, and holding right click to strafe

Ew, no.

WSAD controls movement. Only WSAD. W makes you go up, A makes you go left, etc.

Left mouse button tells the character to shoot toward the mouse pointer. While it is depressed, he will also be facing that direction.
Holding the right mouse button makes the character look toward the mouse pointer, but not fire. Also does other assorted stuff like pressing buttons or selecting players (for homing weapons, etc).

Keys near WSAD (Q, E, Shift, Space, etc) let the player do stuff like selecting weapons, reloading or sprinting (double-pressing the direction key is too clumsy).

Crono
02-02-2005, 06:02 PM
How about you make Zone3D so we dont have to worry about this ;)?

I kid, but it would be pretty cool. I like Kai's idea.

LordZen
02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Ew, no.

WSAD controls movement. Only WSAD. W makes you go up, A makes you go left, etc.

?

You do know that you can use the mouse to walk/run right now, right? I was just saying use the extra button to strafe.

Kaimetsu
02-02-2005, 09:25 PM
You do know that you can use the mouse to walk/run right now, right?

Yes. And I don't think it's as good a system as it could be. It should be replaced, not developed.

LordZen
02-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes. And I don't think it's as good a system as it could be. It should be replaced, not developed.
Oh alright. Well, I prefer using the mouse so I would rather it was not removed.

Heck...Stefan why dont you make control setting options in-game so everybody can be pleased at once?