PDA

View Full Version : How can I learn NPC Scripting?

Huggles
06-25-2001, 12:58 AM
I would like to know how I can make scripts =/
Could any one teach me or show a NPC Scripting For Dummys manual?

foxstar70
06-25-2001, 01:48 AM
npcscripting.doc

AlkarenHyralt
06-25-2001, 03:43 AM
yep, read the npcscripting.doc file. Also the Newbie Scripting Bible is very helpful, you can look at it here: http://www.users.qwest.net/~ace2896/commands.html
But nothing beats good 'ol practice, and trial & error...

Bane2000
06-25-2001, 04:07 AM
huggles the best way to learn is just to try it out, I have gone from not being able to place horses (stupid) to now being able to create my own mining script in the space of 3 months (quite a long time) wihout any previouse experience of programming.

vergil
06-25-2001, 04:16 AM
actually, it's better not to have any expierence in programming
that way you don't run in horror of the simplicity and limitations with Gscript

Shard_IceFire
06-25-2001, 04:23 AM
Haha you n00b you can't script! (lol just joking) I agree with the other guys, just read the npccommands.doc or whatever, and also just practice a lot, and definitely look at NPC's that others made (from Shadow Dragons for instance) and then figure out how it works.

ownerofbabylon
06-25-2001, 05:26 AM
That wasn't cool Shard. I know you were joking but lay off. Anyways, I will teach you the basics to get you started and maybe extras like spyfire but Im not gonna teach you everything. If you want to, get AIM, send me an IM at sk8er4u2 and I will help out then if im not busy.

grim_squeaker_x
06-25-2001, 01:50 PM
I think that as was said before the best way to learn NPC Scripting is just try and do things with it.

Huggles
06-26-2001, 04:19 AM
Ive been playing graal since beginning and I dont even know how to make a door disapear and reappear.. Thats tells you something =/

Bane2000
06-26-2001, 05:09 AM
hehe i've only been playing it 3/4 months and i can do a lot for me, though i learn quickly

Munkey
06-26-2001, 10:01 AM
i learned by
1) i have a friend who played graal for a long time and he showed me the basics.
2) looking at other peoples scripts and seeing what does what then doing modifications on them to see what i can do. *no, i don't use other peoples scripts except to learn*
3) looking at the commands.rtf.

i've never learned any programming before and right now, i'd say i'm just below an intermediate scripter. *lol yea right i can't script my way out of a paper bag*

kyle0654
06-26-2001, 12:05 PM
those paper bags have sharp corners!

Best way (actually, almost the very best way) is to ask around until you can get one of the old levels packs, then walk around the giant classic Graal world and when you see something interesting that you can't do, hit F4 and check it out, then try to remake it, but do a better job. It's easier to learn by example than by trying to learn all the commands, and the old Graal level packs have lots of various scripts.

Worst way bug highly skilled NPC scripters about simple stuff. It's almost gotten to the point where I just say figure it out yourself to some people...not to be mean or anything, but with a bit of looking it's not that hard to learn.

T-Squad
06-26-2001, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by kyle0654
those paper bags have sharp corners!

[b]Best way (actually, almost the very best way) is to ask around until you can get one of the old levels packs, then walk around the giant classic Graal world and when you see something interesting that you can't do, hit F4 and check it out, then try to remake it, but do a better job. It's easier to learn by example than by trying to learn all the commands, and the old Graal level packs have lots of various scripts.

hey that worked for me ;-) well it worked until i found no more scripts i couldnt do :*-(

everandom
06-28-2001, 05:33 PM
just try to make from simple ones(such as talking NPCs)
to tougher ones, eventually you'll get it... :)

AlexH
07-01-2001, 11:52 PM
I know this is embarrising but here I go
I consider myself an okay script but there is one thing I have never been able to do and that is when a player touches something it says the sign.
I mean I have scripted things like F1 cars (Bane can you help me wit gifs) and jump n run stuff like that. But I just cant get those stupid signs to get said. :mad:

Poogle
07-02-2001, 01:13 AM
I have learned NPC Scripts on my own and just a lil help from others heres a idea to get tyhe Bomy Script go next to a bomy or a NPC Bomy and hit ALT+5 you will get that script bbut most of the scripts in that level will not show only NPC imgs and Players

Bane2000
07-02-2001, 06:07 AM
yeah I had problems with signs cos it uased to be :

say0;

but i aventually found out that u need a space in it :

say 0;

to say sign index 0

mastervampire
07-04-2001, 05:53 PM
The title says it all.... though I think I might try that idea of sitting witht the commands and trying to figure out what the damned npc does. Though that crap looks like gibberish to me once it starts getting to the advanced scripts. =(