PDA

View Full Version : Misguided Management?

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Note: This is not a thread intended to bash or flame the current GO Administration team, but rather to elaborate an idea I have towards improving professionalism of the GO Team without costing any funds.

My ideas briefly came form:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56833

After reading that (and creating part of it) thread, I’ve came to understand at a deeper level how the GO Team functions. It has come to my mind (slowly forming) that GO hasn’t hired the global staff on the level of maturity, responsibility, and sense of professionalism. As a global staff, they aren’t talking in the name of Graal Online, but rather their own opinion and course of action. This seems to have caused a lot of problems with displeased customers.

This is not entirely the fault of Graal Online, nor of the Global Teams. In my opinion, I see it as the Global Teams are taking upon their duty to fulfill lacking responsibilities of Graal Online, and by consequence overburden them of irreverent tasks. A Global Scripter, per say, shouldn’t discuss the terms of scamming of items on GK. They are after all, programmers whom are hired for their programming aspect, and not their interaction with players.

My proposal would be to create a team of members apart from the Development branch, and develop into something that Graal Online is truly missing: Player Relation. There are means of contacting appropriate staff, as well as reporting errors (Graal Desk Support System), however live supports isn’t accessible.

A player/customer is someone who usually demands immediate help when something bad happens and sometimes waiting a day or two for a reply directs their anger towards the GO Administration Team. If the problem is fixed rapidly, they are likely to be thankful and give gratification to the game.

To accelerate the process of response, the development teams should easily be contactable with the Player Relation Team. When a problem does occur which is beyond the Player Relation Team, which involves development teams, they should easily contact them. This would prevent misplaced judgment of contacting the wrong person, and thus making his waiting time even larger. Due to the massive player base, this can slow down the process tenfold then that it should be.

To conclude, the GO globals wouldn’t be interrupted while the player would have someone they can readily contact when they need. This would be relatively cheap, seeing a lot of people wouldn’t mind volunteering to do this sort of work.

If you need someone to start this sort of work, I wouldn’t mind volunteering: I’ve played Graal since 1998, and I have faith that the community could improve. I deem myself quite responsible, as well as mature.

P.S. READ => THINK => RESPOND.

protagonist
01-03-2005, 06:18 AM
The PWA is kind of like that. The thing is, people have to treat us with courtesy too. We aren't payed to take their crap, so if they want something they should be polite about it and we will extend the same courtesy to them. I never treat people badly unless they treat me badly, and even then I'm polite to them unless it keeps going. Then I very calmly tell them that they are annoying.

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 06:23 AM
I didn't speak in behalf of the PWA. This is a rather young community, and although courtesy is expected among them, some are too young to know the implications it takes, or the maturity to handle their anger appropiately. Secondly, the PWA is mostly oriented towards specific Playerworld problems, and although I do agree that the PWA takes extra duty towards the community, I don't believe that putting additional work on their hands is helpful towards the servers due to being preoccupied by minor problems.

Thanks for your reply, however. :) I appreciate you not attempting to deteriate the content of this thread.

Qwert616
01-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Seems superfluous to me. Couldn't such problems be fixed by making it easier to find the appropriate staff member's contact? I don't see how a PR team would help solve a problem any quicker when it will typically be just as difficult for them to contact the proper staff in order to ramble off a slightly more organized list of requests.

Or am I'm underestimating how much of a burden this is to the Global Staff?

If you need someone to start this sort of work, I wouldn’t mind volunteering: I’ve played Graal since 1998, and I have faith that the community could improve. I deem myself quite responsible, as well as mature.
Hm. Who else saw that coming? ;(

Janus
01-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Hm. Who else saw that coming? ;(

I did aswell, but sometimes rather than merely egotistical, those types of remarks are truthful as the result of an impartial judging of oneself; self-nomination should never be looked down upon, for those who do it may in fact be worthy, yet unnoticed.

I personally feel, from the posts he has written in his past, I would judge Velox acceptable for a Player Relations position.

A few reasons:
- He has been intellectually fit enough to help people with scripting
- His ability to communicate is superb
- He seems mature
- He is responsible enough to put a disclaimer of anything that may be considered offensive at the top of his post, protecting him from the wrath of the "GO Administration Team". ;)
- He appears to care about Graal, and gives constructive criticism.
- He seems to know enough to assist others with their problems.
- He says he has been around for a long time, so if this is true, then he has a knowledge of historical events.

Qwert616
01-03-2005, 07:35 AM
I did aswell, but sometimes rather than merely egotistical, those types of remarks are truthful as the result of an impartial judging of oneself; self-nomination should never be looked down upon, for those who do it may in fact be worthy, yet unnoticed.

Yes, it's not always intended as a grab for power, but it really doesn't help the case either. Regardless, it doesn't matter who's fit for the position, but if the position even needs to exist in the first place.

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 07:57 AM

Hrm -- I didn't think I helped you with scripting, have I? Although I do appreciate you taking my defense.

To respond with Qwerty616's arguement about the lack of need: I do see a need to centralize the attention of the players towards a particular head icon. This would diminish the amount of work GO Administration Team has by having all their work, if the problem isn't fixed through the first step with the Player Relation, sorted according to their division.

Example: Many people PM Stefan about problems they have in the game. If we remove the majority of these PM, then Stefan would, by consequence, have less to reply towards. This would lower the amount he has, allowing him to work on more important updates instead of worrying about serveral complaints customers send him. If there is a more important business, and the player in question should have contact the player relation and they contact an appropiate member of the GO Administration Team.

I honestly think this will speed up matters in the Graal Community, as well as increasing the productivity rate. If there wasn't any obvious problem to begin with, I wouldn't've thought about a solution to help.

As I quote: "The simple fact that the question 'Does size really matter?' exists, deducts that it actually does, for if the problem wouldn't exist, the question wouldn't as well."

Qwert616
01-03-2005, 08:18 AM
To respond with Qwerty616's arguement about the lack of need: I do see a need to centralize the attention of the players towards a particular head icon. This would diminish the amount of work GO Administration Team has by having all their work, if the problem isn't fixed through the first step with the Player Relation, sorted according to their division.

Example: Many people PM Stefan about problems they have in the game. If we remove the majority of these PM, then Stefan would, by consequence, have less to reply towards. This would lower the amount he has, allowing him to work on more important updates instead of worrying about serveral complaints customers send him. If there is a more important business, and the player in question should have contact the player relation and they contact an appropiate member of the GO Administration Team.
Again, is this not something that could be solved by making the contact list of existing 'GOAT' members more evident and concise or the members themselves easier to contact? A team of players dedicated to passing on a complaint seems needless.
I honestly think this will speed up matters in the Graal Community, as well as increasing the productivity rate. If there wasn't any obvious problem to begin with, I wouldn't've thought about a solution to help.

As I quote: "The simple fact that the question 'Does size really matter?' exists, deducts that it actually does, for if the problem wouldn't exist, the question wouldn't as well."
There can also be many answers to a question. This may not particularly be the best one.

zell12
01-03-2005, 08:27 AM
This team would need to be mature A D U L T S and have to sign a contract and all that other crap so they can be trusted with the administration tools. Stefan and Unixmad can't be doing all the work when they other things to do. So GO needs a team of adults to do the work, instead of getting a team of immature idiots that are power hungry.

Qwert616
01-03-2005, 08:31 AM
This team would need to be mature A D U L T S and have to sign a contract and all that other crap so they can be trusted with the administration tools. Stefan and Unixmad can't be doing all the work when they other things to do. So GO needs a team of adults to do the work, instead of getting a team of immature idiots that are power hungry.

What administration power would they recieve? Velox's original plan doesn't seem to mention any powers other than the ability to contact other members.

zell12
01-03-2005, 08:53 AM
It doesn't say anything about them being people to redirect the problems to stefan either.

IN MY OPINION I think that if this team was created, they need to be adults, able to sign a contract and have the power to fix the problems players have.

Lance
01-03-2005, 09:06 AM
We've tried to tell people to contact others who can handle their problems. They PM Stefan anyway, or they are dissatisfied with how the others handle it and appeal to Stefan.

It just doesn't work the way you want it to.

Gambet
01-03-2005, 12:58 PM
We've tried to tell people to contact others who can handle their problems. They PM Stefan anyway, or they are dissatisfied with how the others handle it and appeal to Stefan.

Maybe because we feel that Stefan is mature enough and dependable. Maybe because we know through Stefan things will get done. If we go to any other staff, then what will they do? Direct us to Stefan (has happened countless times), or simply make us wait days/weeks for whatever it is we are trying to get accomplished.

Some globals just arnt dependable.

I agree with the meaning of the PR Team, but i disagree with actually going along with it. Why?, because the PR Team will basically be messengers. Why?, because player relations have to do with the server in itself. When a player has a problem with something, then it must do with the server they are currently in, thus making it the staff of that servers job to guide him. What exactly would a PR Team do anyways, except redirect people to the proper person, I mean, the PR Team wouldnt have the rights to handle anything, because most of those things would a require high administration level, which Mr. Knorr wouldnt aprove of. Its pointless, really. I mean, a PR Team in a server, I can understand, because they deal with player relations ON THE SERVER. But what good would a global PR Team do?

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Hrm... Haven't thought of power. I do presume that the average question that is asked by players/customers is irreverent to the actual necessity. Most of the complaints can easily be solved through rational explanation of either how to fix the problem, or to present them an adequate reply on to why (if they are scammed) they can’t do anything. This would prevent a lot of agony just being there.

Stefan is, in this community, a head icon of responsibility, maturity, and professionalism. Who's better to contact then the person who made the game itself? It's a logical outcome, and this won't be able to be changed within the first week, but rather an extensive amount of months allowing people to change their primitive habit of contacting Stefan. I do believe some 'power' would be needed to fix the minor problems, however I believe that if you allow the person in question to prove him responsibility, maturity, and professionalism, then I presume that that person could be trusted. Humanity as a whole is a greedy egocentric race, however each individual can renounce him claim of that and become more humaine.

Sildae
01-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Most of the complaints can easily be solved through rational explanation of either how to fix the problem, or to present them an adequate reply on to why (if they are scammed) they can’t do anything. This would prevent a lot of agony just being there.
While the first part of this paragraph is true, the last sentence is not. The reason for this lies within the nature of Graalians.

I believe that if you allow the person in question to prove him responsibility, maturity, and professionalism, then I presume that that person could be trusted.
Add "blind devotion to Graal and Unixmad" to that list.

Humanity as a whole is a greedy egocentric race, however each individual can renounce him claim of that and become more humaine.
How does renouncing the nature of humanity make you more humane?

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 05:55 PM
While the first part of this paragraph is true, the last sentence is not. The reason for this lies within the nature of Graalians.
Glad you make it among the common 'Graalian'. Regardless, orienting the audience towards someone whom is professional in their actions in a acceptible time will greatly diminish the frustration.

Add "blind devotion to Graal and Unixmad" to that list.
I do not believe that "blind devotion to Graal and Unixmad" is appropiate. Primarely because I would orient the devotion to improving Graal Online's community.

How does renouncing the nature of humanity make you more humane?
hu·mane
1. Characterized by kindness, mercy, or compassion: a humane judge.

Humans by nature are egocentric, thus they don't carry the "Humane" attributes.

Read -- Think -- Respond.

Sildae
01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Glad you make it among the common 'Graalian'. Regardless, orienting the audience towards someone whom is professional in their actions in a acceptible time will greatly diminish the frustration.
You do not seem to understand; please try reading what I said again.

I do not believe that "blind devotion to Graal and Unixmad" is appropiate. Primarely because I would orient the devotion to improving Graal Online's community.
This is certainly favourable and I agree with you. However, it is not relevant to the statement to which I answered, as what you orient devotion to is not relevant to Stephane's decisions.

hu·mane
1. Characterized by kindness, mercy, or compassion: a humane judge.
Humans by nature are egocentric, thus they don't carry the "Humane" attributes.
Please get yourself some etymology.

Read -- Think -- Respond.
You should just write this down somewhere else so you remember it, instead of having to post it all the time.

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
You do not seem to understand; please try reading what I said again.

This is certainly favourable and I agree with you. However, it is not relevant to the statement to which I answered, as what you orient devotion to is not relevant to Stephane's decisions.

You should just write this down somewhere else so you remember it, instead of having to post it all the time.

Alas, sorry for that: I misinterpretted some things.

Graalians by nature are quite tend to show their emotions in quite colorful languages, however, if the problem is solved earlier, anger doesn't built up as much.

As for the Humane things, I meant rather that they must quality for humane-like attributes (as stated, compassion, mercy, and kindness), instead of what society usually drives people to be (egocentric, selfish, competitive).

I do believe that although this would focus on the community, that a prime mission statements should be followed by the team, which would benefit both Stephane as well as the community. This wouldn't require a blind devotion, but rather a common goal of both Stephane and you.

Sildae
01-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Graalians by nature are quite tend to show their emotions in quite colorful languages, however, if the problem is solved earlier, anger doesn't built up as much.
But you already considered the possibility that the problem cannot be solved to the satisfaction of the Graalian (Cannot restore scammed things, perhaps), and when you look at the Kingdoms forums, it becomes apparent that many are unable to deal with that.

This wouldn't require a blind devotion, but rather a common goal of both Stephane and you.
The problem is that this is not universally agreed upon.

Velox Cruentus
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
But you already considered the possibility that the problem cannot be solved to the satisfaction of the Graalian (Cannot restore scammed things, perhaps), and when you look at the Kingdoms forums, it becomes apparent that many are unable to deal with that.

The problem is that this is not universally agreed upon.

Nothing is universally agreed upon.

The scamming situation states that it is illegal to scam in the presense of staff. If there were staff reliable to oversee an exchange, it would solve a LOT. They can not restore it because there are no prove of it being scammed in the first place.

zell12
01-03-2005, 09:05 PM
In most of the other games I play, they have a team of GMs that fix the problems themselfs, without redirecting your problem to the director or someone else. Why can't Graal do this?

Probably because of money? :/

Sildae
01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
In most of the other games I play, they have a team of GMs that fix the problems themselfs, without redirecting your problem to the director or someone else. Why can't Graal do this?
That has been answered already.
From what I have gathered so far, Cyberjoueurs has a lot of teams of people that fix the problems. The problem is that even though a lot of problems are apparently solved, some players still believe they need to get special help, more items restored, more special support for their playerworld, and so they go to Stefan, not accepting the responsibilities that have been assigned to each teams, because they themselves know better than the stupid immature teenage administrators everybody is complaining about.

Slash-P2P
01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I trust the globals.

Its easier to contact Stefan. He also has 'the power' to fix any problem, while globals are limited.

zell12
01-03-2005, 11:16 PM
I trust the globals.

Its easier to contact Stefan. He also has 'the power' to fix any problem, while globals are limited.
And that is why the "globals" need to be able to fix any problem. These globals should be adults, so i'd say fire these kids.

Velox Cruentus
01-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Please do not make this thread into a bashing/flaming threads on how the management works. I do not mind if the person in question is a child or an adult, as long as she/he has the ability to do his job accordingly. If you want to discuss a thread about how they act, do it elsewhere: I don't want my thread closed due to players whom think they may express themselves in a rude/destructive fashion.

konidias
01-09-2005, 10:01 AM
As far as staff courtesy goes... I don't think staff should ever get attitudes with players, as mentioned above. It's never okay to flip out at someone when you're staff and they're looking to you for support. Even if they are completely rude jackasses, it's still your job to help them or at least be polite to them.

Honestly, if you show no attitude with them, they cannot stay hostile towards you. It's not even logical. A lot of people get a rush from the feeling of anonymity that the internet provides, but if you're nice enough, they will be nice back. For example, if some player messages you and says:

"FIX THIS NOW! OMG!!!"

If you reply like "screw you, maybe if you asked nicely I would have" then that's getting Graal nowhere.

If you reply like "I will be happy to fix your problem if you would calmly tell me what problem you're having."

If they continue to be rude, just continue to tell them to relax and calm down and suggest that they not be so rude, but still try to assist them.

The problem is that a lot of Graal staff have short tempers, and have had to deal with jerks so much that their immediate response is to either ignore the person, or tell them to f**k off or something.

haro41
01-11-2005, 03:11 AM
koni empty your mail box. im trying to pm you! >_<

Slash-P2P
01-11-2005, 05:09 AM
And that is why the "globals" need to be able to fix any problem. These globals should be adults, so i'd say fire these kids.

Most of them don't have the rights to fix certain problems. They don't need to be fired. From my experiences with the globals, they all seemed to be very mature.

I totally agree with Koni.