PDA

View Full Version : A new mine solution

The_Blue_Cracka
12-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Ok.. so I have a thread about Mine Protection already.. but I feel I wouldn't be heard unless I started a new thread.

As everyone knows, there are glitches with mines and as far as I'm concerned, being able to walk over your team's mines is lame.

I've come up with a solution such as putting blinking dots on the teams' radar whenever a friendly mine is present.

SergeTrigger
12-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Ok.. so I have a thread about Mine Protection already.. but I feel I wouldn't be heard unless I started a new thread.

As everyone knows, there are glitches with mines and as far as I'm concerned, being able to walk over your team's mines is lame.

I've come up with a solution such as putting blinking dots on the teams' radar whenever a friendly mine is present.

Yes, small yellow blinking dots. Someone plays too much Wulfram 2.

Zurkiba
12-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Lets just ignore the rules and spam the forum =x
As I said, Friendly Mines should not go off if an ally steps on it.

Are yall just so lazy that you dont want to pull out a grenade or just trigger the mine field to set them all off? I mean honestly

You complain that it is unrealistic, and again as I stated before: If the radar can identify friend from foe then so can friendly mines.

If mines are made so that allies can trip them, then they are -useless-. There are ways to get around mine fields. I personally play CTF a lot which means there are only two ways to get to the flag. Those two ways are almost ALWAYS mined beyond belief, but low and behold I still outsmart the mine field and grab the flag.

There is a 10 minute time for mines until they become hostile to both friend and foe. This adds a check to it all, moreso in CTF. I've died more times from friendly mines then enemy mines.

Dont change the game because you dont have enough skill to do anything about a mine which hardly does any damage.

So then the server can lag some more... right?

The_Blue_Cracka
12-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Lets just ignore the rules and spam the forum =x
As I said, Friendly Mines should not go off if an ally steps on it.

Are yall just so lazy that you dont want to pull out a grenade or just trigger the mine field to set them all off? I mean honestly

You complain that it is unrealistic, and again as I stated before: If the radar can identify friend from foe then so can friendly mines.

If mines are made so that allies can trip them, then they are -useless-. There are ways to get around mine fields. I personally play CTF a lot which means there are only two ways to get to the flag. Those two ways are almost ALWAYS mined beyond belief, but low and behold I still outsmart the mine field and grab the flag.

There is a 10 minute time for mines until they become hostile to both friend and foe. This adds a check to it all, moreso in CTF. I've died more times from friendly mines then enemy mines.

Dont change the game because you dont have enough skill to do anything about a mine which hardly does any damage.

So then the server can lag some more... right?
I experience -no- lag at all..

Zurkiba
12-24-2004, 06:42 PM
I experience -no- lag at all..
Nice response for all that I said.

You -will- lag if your idea is added.

The_Blue_Cracka
12-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Nice response for all that I said.

You -will- lag if your idea is added.
There was nothing above that I felt worthy to respond to. :x

And I really don't think I will lag if that idea is added.

Edit:
And as for SergeTrigger.. I've never even heard of that game let alone play "too much" of it.

Zurkiba
12-24-2004, 06:56 PM
There was nothing above that I felt worthy to respond to. :x

And I really don't think I will lag if that idea is added.

Edit:
And as for SergeTrigger.. I've never even heard of that game let alone play "too much" of it.
Then in fact you do not support your own claims nor have cause correct?

I do believe hundreds of little flashing yellow dots will do something.

The_Blue_Cracka
12-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Then in fact you do not support your own claims nor have cause correct?

I do believe hundreds of little flashing yellow dots will do something.
That is not necessarily true. Even if the whole map was filled with flashing dots, it would be the equivilant to that of a light effect the size of the radar. And if it is the script in general you think will lag it.. it would be in the same weapon script as the player on radar script.

SergeTrigger
12-24-2004, 07:20 PM
The server would have to submit each of those hundreds of thousands of blinking yellow dots onto each player therefore causing the server to lag even if the play himself or herself didn't lag. Even if it doesn't cause you to lag, these Graal servers aren't like the 1,000 people holding servers of Counterstrike or Runescape or Tibia, it will lag the server itself.

DM_Jagged
12-24-2004, 07:49 PM
If mines do damage to team mates, so should guns. Everyone is talking about being realistic. Sometimes making a game to realistic destroys the fun of it.

protagonist
12-24-2004, 08:23 PM
The server would have to submit each of those hundreds of thousands of blinking yellow dots onto each player therefore causing the server to lag even if the play himself or herself didn't lag. Even if it doesn't cause you to lag, these Graal servers aren't like the 1,000 people holding servers of Counterstrike or Runescape or Tibia, it will lag the server itself.
Counterstrike lags with 1,000 people.

The other two things you shouldn't mention.

Nappa
12-24-2004, 08:25 PM
If mines do damage to team mates, so should guns. Everyone is talking about being realistic. Sometimes making a game to realistic destroys the fun of it.

This is the first smart thing I've read in this thread so far.

Screw realistic, I just want to blast some people.

Emily_Cruddas
12-25-2004, 02:14 AM
You want the mines to hurt friend as well as enemy, but place that idea into the game and you'll have team lamers pissing everyone else off by leaving mines at the main base.

It seems some folks don't like to think. :cool:

MasterNuke
12-25-2004, 05:39 AM
I say... have a limit to how many mines a player can have put down... maybe 5 prox and 5 landmine. Also, make the explosion for mines smaller(and more powerful maybe) and actually register as a "killed by proxmine" or "killed by landmine".

middo
12-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Wulfram... I played that game so long before I got a computer upgrade.

I was in UA (Ultimate Assassins) >:D I still miss Black Snake, he was so cool.

Evil_Trunks
12-27-2004, 10:50 AM
The server would have to submit each of those hundreds of thousands of blinking yellow dots onto each player therefore causing the server to lag even if the play himself or herself didn't lag.
I doubt the server sends "hundreds of thousands" of dots for each player shown on the radar. Isn't it more likely the client simply draws dots itself based on where it already knows the players are? If so, the same could be done for mines as well.

TonyRivers
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
You should just make a weapon that shoots a bunch of tiny explosives to trigger the mines much like that flak-cannon thing era once had. I believe they use something similar to this in the United States Army this weapon would belong to ethier a sapper or an engineer. Or just use gernades....