PDA

View Full Version : Typical Newbie Confusion

Saphos
11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay, so I'm very confused. I see everyone with axes for chopping down trees to get wood to make stuff. So I ask someone, how do you get one? Is there a shop that sells them? No, they say, You have to make them. How do you make them? With iron. How do you get iron? In the mines with a pickaxe. How do you get a pickaxe?

You make it with iron.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

Is there a place to buy a pickaxe or other tools? I feel like an idiot because I looked through the rest of this forum and didn't see anyone else having trouble. I assume that once you can mine iron you can make pretty much everything else you need? Someone really should make a detailed manual for this game... It's popular and it's been around for a long time, you would think that there would be instructions by now...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. :)

Zero Hour
11-24-2004, 06:05 PM
On newbie island there are some quests you have to do. In these quests you have to forge some tools with iron, you should have some iron from there. If I were you I would concentrate more on levelling up then getting material objects, unless you feel as though that's the only way you an level, with the help of armour, and weapons.

I hope this helped some.

GoZelda
11-24-2004, 06:07 PM
You can mine with your fists and feet, too.

Borgie
11-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Okay:
On the mini-map you will see a big white spot in the north-west part of the main island... this is a mountain and somewhere at the southern border of this mountain there is an entrance to the mines. in the mines, look for those round little rocks.. stand in front of one and kick, kick, kick, kick, kick it untill it is completely broken and leaves a mineral.. gold, iron, coal or (if ur lucky) a diamond... for an axe you will only need 2 iron, go to the blacksmith in bomboria, grab a blue anvil and you will be able to produce an axe! for a pickaxe you will need lumber, wich can be made by putting a tree. seed on the ground and double klicking it... when the tree is full-grown use the axe and chop it down, then take the log to a woodmill (if you go west from bomboria and cross the river you will see one) stand under the left red-thingy and press A untill the woodmill starts working... then pick up the 5 boards. but for the pickaxe you will also need iron blades... go back to the blacksmith in bomboria and grab one of the ovens to fires it (will consume 1 coal) then grab it again to place an iron on it... when the iron turns red you can pick it up with pliers (made at a blue anvil) by equipping those and press SHIFT (grabbing will put the iron back in your inventory..) then go to a water barell, stand in front of it and press SHIFT again to water the iron.. when its purple go to a grey anvil and press SHIFT once more.. a menu will appear like on a blue anvil where you can chose to craft iron blades.. i believe you need 2 of them for a pickaxe..

The pickaxe speeds mining up, but it is not necessary for it...
hope i could help ya and excuse my bad english

Saphos
11-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Yes, I did the quests and I did forge a shovel. They only gave me enough ore to make the shovel though, I don't have any left. I also don't have any coal. It seems like the game is not very newbie friendly at all. While I do think it is a good idea to have the newbie quests to get you familiar with the game, I think that it would help if new characters started with a few basic items to get them started, or if there was a shop where you could buy the most basic items.

GoZelda, I'll try mining with my hands and feet, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks a lot for that tip.

If anyone would be willing to teach me some of these important things to know, I'd be happy to write up a manual for new players. It seems like it would help a LOT and is very necessary given the complicated nature of the game. I did read Aylad's manual, which helped a little, but there's still a lot of things that are essential and nearly impossible to figure out on your own as a new player...

Zero Hour
11-24-2004, 06:19 PM
There are a few good manuals which help newbies and oldbies alike. www.satrek.de/graal I think that's one, but I'm not sure. I had one which Rick hosted, but I forget the URL...

I'm hardly rich, at the moment, but I'm willing to tell you what you need to know.

Saphos
11-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Wow, thanks for your detailed explanation. That helps a lot. :)

Saphos
11-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Okay, I'm in the mines and I'm kicking a rock, but I don't see any indication that I am actually hitting it. Does it crack or anything? About how many times do I have to kick it before it breaks? Thanks again for helping me guys, I've been very frustrated about this stuff.

zell12
11-24-2004, 07:33 PM
It starts to crack and get smaller. Don't stop until the rock is completely gone and the mineral appears. :)

Saphos
11-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Okay well I kicked this rock about 200 times and it hasn't shown any signs that I even hit it at all. I am standing to the right of it, and it is against the left wall of the mines. I made sure I was right up against it, there is no space between me and it. Do I just have to hit it more, or am I doing something wrong? Should it be showing signs or wear by now? :(

GoZelda
11-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Okay well I kicked this rock about 200 times and it hasn't shown any signs that I even hit it at all. I am standing to the right of it, and it is against the left wall of the mines. I made sure I was right up against it, there is no space between me and it. Do I just have to hit it more, or am I doing something wrong? Should it be showing signs or wear by now? :(
You must kick it, not punch it.

Saphos
11-24-2004, 08:14 PM
I did kick it. I never got that one to break, but I found another one that did break a little easier. I'm not sure what was up with that first one. :) Thanks again everyone for helping me, I think I'm all set for now. I'll know who to ask if I need more help. :)

Saphos
11-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Okay everyone I have another stupid question. How do I bake dough? I made the dough, and I figured out how to fire the oven. But I can't figure out how to get the dough into the oven to bake... :-/

Emily_Cruddas
11-25-2004, 12:25 PM
You'll need to craft an bread spoon (never did know what to call it myself) with some boards, i'm sure you know how to grow a tree and make 5 boards with it?