PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME need for developers

falco10291029
11-19-2004, 05:25 AM
I need developers, and lots of them, to work at Elemental Kingdoms. You need to be able to:

1) Comprehend basic script, and reproduce items that use custom systems.
2) Make levels that are detailed.
3) Make graphics, and/OR make ganis WELL
4) Be dedicated and be able to work w/o me directing you every step of the way.

I have been adding small things to Elemental kingdoms now and then, but I hate doing work, and need some help. Most of my staff seems to have just decided they don't want to work, so I need a bunch of people.

haro41
11-19-2004, 06:26 AM
what do you want us to do man! they dont exist! the need for developers has outgrown the graal population.

Loriel
11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
You need to be able to: [...]
And what would they get in return?

I hate doing work
So why would anyone want to work with you?

NicoX
11-19-2004, 05:56 PM
ya i agree with ben :o

xAndrewx
11-19-2004, 06:14 PM
hrm..
lol screenys dont hire nico he steals

falco10291029
11-19-2004, 10:41 PM
And what would they get in return?

Most people don't get things in return for working at playerworlds these days. All they could get is a warm feeling in their heart knowing they helped, a promotion after doing enough work, and my thanks :-/

So why would anyone want to work with you?

I still do some work....

Slash-P2P
11-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Most people don't get things in return for working at playerworlds these days. All they could get is a warm feeling in their heart knowing they helped, a promotion after doing enough work, and my thanks

I give my staff all the normal weapons. If they make their own weapon, they get to customize everything about the weapon.

Malinko
11-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Most people don't get things in return for working at playerworlds these days. All they could get is a warm feeling in their heart knowing they helped, a promotion after doing enough work, and my thanks :-/
No one thinks like that anymore on Graal.

I give my staff all the normal weapons. If they make their own weapon, they get to customize everything about the weapon.
That's cause your Element is cooler than his. ;)

falco10291029
11-20-2004, 01:55 AM

Oh i thought what was meant was rl things, like money. Of course I'll allow staff to customize and use their won weapons, and I will usually give them weapons of their class too. I geuss i misunderstood.

That's cause your Element is cooler than his.

All a matter of opinion.

TESTRETIS
11-20-2004, 03:00 AM
If they make their own weapon, they get to customize everything about the weapon.
Augh..the last thing a server needs is corrupt toys... x_x

zokemon
11-20-2004, 03:05 AM
I work on Element (Not EK) simply cause I am helping a friend and making things that entertains me in making because I love create things for people to have fun with.
Example:
- My major is Technical Theater, an art that entertains people.
- I create games outside of graal and that difenitly entertains people.

That's cause your Element is cooler than his. ;)
I want credit :(

All a matter of opinion.
Don't get me started. Please.

That isn't EXACTLY true (about custimizing). I still do put my foot down about somethings ^^

Slash-P2P
11-20-2004, 03:17 AM
Oh i thought what was meant was rl things, like money. Of course I'll allow staff to customize and use their won weapons, and I will usually give them weapons of their class too. I geuss i misunderstood.
I don't think many people out there get REAL things besides satisfaction.

Augh..the last thing a server needs is corrupt toys...
No. They get to pick a damage that is reasonable, pick a weight that is reasonable, pick a price that is reasonable, pick which shops can stock the weapon, and maybe 1 special attribute. I make sure its fair.

All a matter of opinion.
Anyone saying another server is better than another is an opinion.

I still do put my foot down about somethings
And those things would be?

That's cause your Element is cooler than his.
Thank you.

Malinko
11-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Not if you lay down the rules.

Codename Element is better since I know for a fact that Slash and zokemon can do a lot more.

falco10291029
11-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Don't get me started. Please.

On what? Sayign you don't like EK? You already said that, and quite frankly besides saying everything sucks you haven't given any reasons why it's bad. Quite Frankly, i mean examples.

I don't think many people out there get REAL things besides satisfaction.

I don't either, that's why his question surprised me.

Anyone saying another server is better than another is an opinion.

That was kind of my implied by what i said.

Slash-P2P
11-20-2004, 04:16 AM
On what? Sayign you don't like EK? You already said that, and quite frankly besides saying everything sucks you haven't given any reasons why it's bad. Quite Frankly, i mean examples.
Just log on EK and walk around. It doesnt look like you spent much time on anything.

falco10291029
11-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Just log on EK and walk around. It doesnt look like you spent much time on anything.

*logs on to ek. walks around. Notices that the tileset isn't much better than pics1 and curses cythus, and the fact that i can't draw worth crap.* *Sees 3 quests, 2 different types of mines, upgrade shop, weaponsmith, 2 weapon shops, and some kingdoms-underconstruction. enjoys the dozens of spells and weapons and the 3 monsters (not including bosses). * *Wonders what the hell slash is talking about*

Slash-P2P
11-20-2004, 06:39 AM
*logs on to ek. walks around. Notices that the tileset isn't much better than pics1 and curses cythus, and the fact that i can't draw worth crap.* *Sees 3 quests, 2 different types of mines, upgrade shop, weaponsmith, 2 weapon shops, and some kingdoms-underconstruction. enjoys the dozens of spells and weapons and the 3 monsters (not including bosses). * *Wonders what the hell slash is talking about*

I'm not saying you dont have much, I'm saying your server is filled with things that havent had enough time/effort put into them.

zokemon
11-20-2004, 06:52 AM
The only reason I am so critical is because I go to a $40,000 highschool of the arts. I perfer quality over quantity.

And those things would be?

Nothing, I just wanted to feel cool about saying that. I had my fun, now I go home. See you in 10 days <3.

Codename Element is better since I know for a fact that Slash and zokemon can do a lot more.

Thank you :)
(It is Zero btw ;o)

falco10291029
11-20-2004, 07:03 AM
I'm not saying you dont have much, I'm saying your server is filled with things that havent had enough time/effort put into them.

Out of some major features:
Hp system: 15 minutes, yeah this was a quick one.
Damage system: Definitely seperate from hp, since i mad eit first. Took me about 2 hours combined time (estimate) to get it working right.
GUI: Um, combined...uh....i'd sya about 3 hours, but i can't be sure since i added/changed things so amny times.
Upgrade shop:
About 25 minutes to make the system and about 15 more to apply it (don't wanna explain that wording).
Weaponsmith: 1 or 2 hours, 2-2.5 if you include time for the gem crusher, and 3-4 if you include both mines.
Monster Scripts: About 1 hour to make mold script, 2 for dark spirit, because of debugging, and 1/2 for jelly. With all of the changes I've added it's signifigantly longer.

So, basically, only minor things weren't spent a lot of time with.

xAndrewx
11-20-2004, 11:51 AM
can you post some screens?

Malinko
11-20-2004, 04:18 PM
(It is Zero btw ;o)
Bah, that what I was going to put xD. I thought your name was Zero but I wasn't sure >_>. I remember you and Slash were leet on Bravo. =]

Slash-P2P
11-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Hp system: 15 minutes, yeah this was a quick one.
HP System is important. You should redo it and spend more time on it. Add some cool HP functions. I would give examples, but all I could give is on Element, and I wouldnt want to give secret stuff out, now would I?

Damage system: Definitely seperate from hp, since i mad eit first. Took me about 2 hours combined time (estimate) to get it working right.
Did you take a nap while doing it? For Elements damage system, It took me like 15 minutes to make it good. I just did triggeractions in the weapons and the action hit stuff in the damage system. Not hard.

GUI: Um, combined...uh....i'd sya about 3 hours, but i can't be sure since i added/changed things so amny times.
A good GUI can take a while to make. I'm in the process of adding buttons to the GUI.

Upgrade shop:
About 25 minutes to make the system and about 15 more to apply it (don't wanna explain that wording).
Weaponsmith: 1 or 2 hours, 2-2.5 if you include time for the gem crusher, and 3-4 if you include both mines.
I believe Zero finished our weapon crafting. I wont give out the details, but from (a hopefully good) reputation of our work on Bravo, you will get an idea on how cool it will be.

Monster Scripts: About 1 hour to make mold script, 2 for dark spirit, because of debugging, and 1/2 for jelly. With all of the changes I've added it's signifigantly longer.
Heh. Our monsters lagged the server a lot, so I have to rescript them. Movement was never my strong point in scripting, but I'll be getting better at it and making better monsters. I spent about an hour or two doing the Boss monster, and then about 1/2 hour getting the experience point distribution to work right.

So, basically, only minor things weren't spent a lot of time with.
Spend time on EVERYTHING. Theres no shame in rescripting things.
I'm pretty much rescripting everything default on Element. I'm working on the profile system right now. Its going to have cool functions that normal profiles dont have (such as profile privacy where you can allow everyone, dont allow anyone, allow certain people, or dont allow certain people to view your profile).

Loriel
11-20-2004, 06:10 PM
HP System is important. You should redo it and spend more time on it.
Why? He spent as much time on it as you spent on your allegedly good damage system.

Add some cool HP functions.
`HP' is a number. What functions would it need? It is all about the damage system.

I would give examples, but all I could give is on Element, and I wouldnt want to give secret stuff out, now would I?
That is just ridiculous.

I just did triggeractions in the weapons and the action hit stuff in the damage system.
Wow, you used triggeractions! And the action hit stuff! Impressive! How many different attack/damage types does it support? How do you implement damage, evasion, reach, ...?

If I used a trainer to emit arbitrary actions, could I cause arbitrary amounts of damage, or at least amounts that are not connected to the weapon I am using?

A good GUI can take a while to make. I'm in the process of adding buttons to the GUI.
It takes one or two showimg command to add arbitrary amounts of buttons to a GUI, and all your GUI work will be rather obsolete with 3.1 anyway. And otherwise, how complicated does a GUI need to be? I think if it does that much more than allowing me to see my stats and access my inventory, you need to spend quite a lot of time on the systems behind it.

Spend time on EVERYTHING.
Except on damage systems, right? Fifteen minute damage systems ought to be good enough for everyone!

I'm pretty much rescripting everything default on Element.
No wonder no PW ever goes public anymore, considering this attitude.

I'm working on the profile system right now. Its going to have cool functions that normal profiles dont have (such as profile privacy where you can allow everyone, dont allow anyone, allow certain people, or dont allow certain people to view your profile).
I would rather have a decent damage system than a profile no one can see anyway.

falco10291029
11-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Thank you Loriel for your support, now to add my own arguments too:

HP System is important. You should redo it and spend more time on it. Add some cool HP functions. I would give examples, but all I could give is on Element, and I wouldnt want to give secret stuff out, now would I?

Depends on what you consider your hp system. I basically mean replacing playerhearts with client.hp (might later change to unhackab;e, but not important right now) on all things like GUi and in the damage system. That basially only made me have to replace playerhearts whenever i found it with client.hp.

Did you take a nap while doing it? For Elements damage system, It took me like 15 minutes to make it good. I just did triggeractions in the weapons and the action hit stuff in the damage system. Not hard

Yes I took a nap, but didn't count that time in my final measurement lol. THe Damage system took a while since we use the shoot commands for it, and rarely triggeraction. I originally had been trying something else, but it didn't work out. The reason it took that long is because I count whenever I add a new function a weapon can do on a player (liek when i added confusion) an addon to the damage system.

GUi image I changed 3 times, I think, and added things constantly, so I don't know exactly the time, but it's a while. Original GUI was basically just an image that had you health, magic, and tokens on it. I added some more stats throughout time. I also added the start of the kingdom portion of the gui (the box in the upperright corner). Then, later I added a weapon drop button, which i eventually took out of the gui and put in a different weapon.

I believe Zero finished our weapon crafting. I wont give out the details, but from (a hopefully good) reputation of our work on Bravo, you will get an idea on how cool it will be.

I'll agree that our system for weapon upgrade and building isn't the best (in upgrade shop, you touch the weapon on the floor for info, then doubleclick to make it if you have the materials, in weaponsmith you right click for info then say what you want to make), but I ddislike making menus with mousedown, mousescreenx, ect., and I really can't very well for somethign that I would constantly add stuff onto until I learn to work with arrays. I had originally tried, but couldn't, unless i wanted to drastically change the script every time i wanted to add something. But otherwise, it works well currently and serves its purpose.

Heh. Our monsters lagged the server a lot, so I have to rescript them. Movement was never my strong point in scripting, but I'll be getting better at it and making better monsters. I spent about an hour or two doing the Boss monster, and then about 1/2 hour getting the experience point distribution to work right.

I still have work to do since I can't get my jellies to not go on walls (spirits and molds are supposed to be able to), and I probably took longer then i said, i didn't really time it, and i constantly had to fix/change/add stuff to them (I recently added right clicking a monster for info, gk style :) )

Spend time on EVERYTHING. Theres no shame in rescripting things.
I'm pretty much rescripting everything default on Element. I'm working on the profile system right now. Its going to have cool functions that normal profiles dont have (such as profile privacy where you can allow everyone, dont allow anyone, allow certain people, or dont allow certain people to view your profile).

[much sarcasm]
Yes, should spoend hours when loading a gmap, or warping a player, and should make weapons that so the same things with slightly diff stats have a TOTALLY different script, because it means i spent time. Then afterwards, i should go rescript everything to make it about 2% better[/much sarcasm]
A profile is a system, and should take time. A Weapon that is basically a stronger version of another shouldn't. Not everything has to take hours to script to be good. (I would have thrown in his dmg system in there, but Loriel did that well enough :D)

Loriel
11-21-2004, 02:27 AM
Depends on what you consider your hp system. I basically mean replacing playerhearts with client.hp (might later change to unhackab;e, but not important right now) on all things like GUi and in the damage system. That basially only made me have to replace playerhearts whenever i found it with client.hp.
I do not think this counts as HP system. Anyway, a HP system should need to be coupled with the damage system a lot; just replacing playerhearts with client.hp does not gain you anything.

THe Damage system took a while since we use the shoot commands for it, and rarely triggeraction.
What, all the time? What is the point?

Not everything has to take hours to script to be good.
But it is fun, then ;)

falco10291029
11-21-2004, 03:54 AM
I do not think this counts as HP system. Anyway, a HP system should need to be coupled with the damage system a lot; just replacing playerhearts with client.hp does not gain you anything.

It is coupled with the dmg system. I only replaced the playerhearts with client.hp in the gui AND THE DMG SYSTEM. playerhearts was also made to not work. the dmg system opriginally had playerhearts in the area where u take dmg, so i replaced that with client.hp (and had to make a death thing).

EDIT: oops forgot the rest of the responses :P.

What, all the time? What is the point?

It's easier to me, triggeraction tends to have bugs when i use it *shrugs*

But it is fun, then
Ok....

Slash-P2P
11-21-2004, 04:50 PM
You mean clientr strings?

Yes I took a nap, but didn't count that time in my final measurement lol. THe Damage system took a while since we use the shoot commands for it, and rarely triggeraction. I originally had been trying something else, but it didn't work out. The reason it took that long is because I count whenever I add a new function a weapon can do on a player (liek when i added confusion) an addon to the damage system.
I still don't understand why you would use shoot :\

GUi image I changed 3 times, I think, and added things constantly, so I don't know exactly the time, but it's a while. Original GUI was basically just an image that had you health, magic, and tokens on it. I added some more stats throughout time. I also added the start of the kingdom portion of the gui (the box in the upperright corner). Then, later I added a weapon drop button, which i eventually took out of the gui and put in a different weapon.
I remember when you had the huge box that took up most the screen. haha.

I'll agree that our system for weapon upgrade and building isn't the best (in upgrade shop, you touch the weapon on the floor for info, then doubleclick to make it if you have the materials, in weaponsmith you right click for info then say what you want to make), but I ddislike making menus with mousedown, mousescreenx, ect., and I really can't very well for somethign that I would constantly add stuff onto until I learn to work with arrays. I had originally tried, but couldn't, unless i wanted to drastically change the script every time i wanted to add something. But otherwise, it works well currently and serves its purpose.
Most things on Element are classes so once the main script is done. So its easy to set up new forms of things such as weapon crafting.

I still have work to do since I can't get my jellies to not go on walls (spirits and molds are supposed to be able to), and I probably took longer then i said, i didn't really time it, and i constantly had to fix/change/add stuff to them (I recently added right clicking a monster for info, gk style :) )
try practicing with onwall a lot on npcs. then put some onwall stuff in your monster scripts.

[much sarcasm]
Yes, should spoend hours when loading a gmap, or warping a player, and should make weapons that so the same things with slightly diff stats have a TOTALLY different script, because it means i spent time. Then afterwards, i should go rescript everything to make it about 2% better[/much sarcasm]
A profile is a system, and should take time. A Weapon that is basically a stronger version of another shouldn't. Not everything has to take hours to script to be good. (I would have thrown in his dmg system in there, but Loriel did that well enough :D)
Who said the stuff is only 2% better?
I'm in the process of working on stuff. They will get much better.

Hey Loriel,
I'm doing my job as owner of my server to make it good (in my opinion) ok?
So why don't you just shut up and wait.

falco10291029
11-21-2004, 08:36 PM
You mean clientr strings?

No, I mean server strings, where if we used enough to store variables for each player we'd lag so damn much that it would be impossible to play :whatever:

I still don't understand why you would use shoot

Easier for me, we can use 1 command for both ranged and melee weapons.

I remember when you had the huge box that took up most the screen. haha.

That has nothing to do with current status....

Most things on Element are classes so once the main script is done. So its easy to set up new forms of things such as weapon crafting

Goody for you, that still doesn't make menu scripts magically appear for you...

try practicing with onwall a lot on npcs. then put some onwall stuff in your monster scripts.

I've made a working gravity system, I know how to use onwall correctly. The script in the jelly SHOULD work.

Who said the stuff is only 2% better?
I'm in the process of working on stuff. They will get much better.

Obviously I said that, are you that stupid that you can't see the name of who posted something? But anyway i was obviously exagerating.

falco10291029
11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
That's enough arguing please the main point of this thread is for me to hire developers, not to argue.

Loriel
11-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Okay.
What do you have to offer?

falco10291029
11-21-2004, 09:17 PM
What do you mean "What do you have to offer"? I think we've been through this...

haro41
11-22-2004, 12:05 AM
i find it hilarious that falcos topic for need of developers has turned into Slash's advertisment for his server!

falco10291029
11-24-2004, 04:55 AM
Whatever, enough arguinfg, for the rest of this thread i want it to be people saying they are interested in being a developer, or they can Pm me, or contact me via AIM. Either way, I don't want any more arguing here!

zokemon
11-24-2004, 09:55 AM
"I am intrested in being a developer"

Loriel
11-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Whatever, enough arguinfg, for the rest of this thread i want it to be people saying they are interested in being a developer, or they can Pm me, or contact me via AIM. Either way, I don't want any more arguing here!
That is nifty.
However, I do not want any more of your selfish posts in this thread.

Slash-P2P
11-24-2004, 06:57 PM
i find it hilarious that falcos topic for need of developers has turned into Slash's advertisment for his server!

Things never stay on topic. I'm not the one advertising my server. I just said I let staff make weapons and people turned it into a topic about my server.

falco10291029
11-25-2004, 12:24 AM
"I am intrested in being a developer"

I know you are joking, but i prefer people who don't say my server sucks.

That is nifty.
However, I do not want any more of your selfish posts in this thread.

It's hardly selfish, and i can post things like that if I wish.

Loriel
11-25-2004, 01:30 AM
As can I.

falco10291029
11-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Yes, as you have already shown...:whatever:

zokemon
11-25-2004, 09:59 AM
I know you are joking, but i prefer people who don't say my server sucks.

You stated before that that was the only thing I could post.

falco10291029
11-26-2004, 02:37 AM
I meant that i want this to be for people to say that they want to be a developer if they actually want to. Otherwise I don't know why everyone has to argue or spam or whatever

Slash-P2P
11-26-2004, 08:13 AM
I meant taht i wanty

Why don't you spend some time looking over your post for grammar and spelling errors? You sound like a 3 year old.

Loriel
11-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Otherwise I don't know why everyone has to argue or spam or whatever
You are right, though, since critism is deprecated on these forums; and `spam' is defined as `what the OP dislikes'

Slash-P2P
11-26-2004, 06:11 PM
You are right, though, since critism is deprecated on these forums; and `spam' is defined as `what the OP dislikes'

I define spam as a salty meat.

Loriel
11-26-2004, 06:16 PM
That is a very inappropriate and deliberately stupid definition.

Slash-P2P
11-26-2004, 06:27 PM
That is a very inappropriate and deliberately stupid definition.

Its also what spam really is, so how is it inappropriate?

Loriel
11-26-2004, 07:49 PM
So you are saying that all the unsolicited bulk mail I receive is, in fact, not spam?

It is inappropriate as we are not discussing meat.

falco10291029
11-27-2004, 12:10 AM
So you are saying that all the unsolicited bulk mail I receive is, in fact, not spam?

Very true. We are talking spam as in unneeded posts on the forums (bad definition, i know, i dunno how exactly to put it correctly).

Slash-P2P
11-27-2004, 08:52 AM

I call it Junk Mail

Falco, I know what your talking about k? I just felt like saying spam is a meat since thats what it really is.

Loriel
11-27-2004, 06:35 PM
I call it Junk Mail
But everybody else does not!

falco10291029
11-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah, slash i know you know, I was just trying to make you feel stupid is all :).

zokemon
11-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Last I checked, spam was a vegetable. o_o
It grows off the annoying tree.

Loriel
12-01-2004, 03:14 PM
rofl.
Good luck with your project...