PDA

View Full Version : NPC Server

nullify
08-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Anything for offline testing such as a mini-gserver which allows like 1 to 2 people online for testing server/clientside scripts on. Maybe integrate one into the client where you can connect to "localhost" to access it.

Anything would be better than what we have now.
Oh and add warpto,addweapon,removeweapon etc to the debugger :P

osrs
08-16-2004, 03:03 AM
That would stop the playerworld-renting idea, don't think it will ever be done, unfortunatelly.

R0bin
08-16-2004, 03:49 AM
Or a npc server for offline mode, configurable "bots" players which just stand there or run a script like walk up down, trigger an action etc.

But i dont see the point because soon you wont even be able to make levels offline :)

XiLe
08-16-2004, 06:58 AM
That would stop the playerworld-renting idea, don't think it will ever be done, unfortunatelly.
How so? Nobody can get on the "server". And there wouldn't be like RC or anything just a few more basic things like server/client-side and their respective functions.
However, I don't support the idea, just I like to give people a view of both sides... :P

osrs
08-17-2004, 12:35 AM
How so? Nobody can get on the "server". And there wouldn't be like RC or anything just a few more basic things like server/client-side and their respective functions.
However, I don't support the idea, just I like to give people a view of both sides... :P

I believe that the idea of renting a playerworld was to improve your skills and such, nobody would rent a playerworld if they could test their work offline. I'm not complaining, these are just my thoughts. >_<

Silver Knight
08-17-2004, 07:06 AM
I think the number of people renting PWs to practice their skills, as compared
to those renting to make servers, is drastically less.
But I could be wrong.
I don't think this will be implemented, I'd love it if it were, but
I think it would be seen as a money-loss situation.

Crono
08-17-2004, 11:03 AM
They dont want to do that because they knew that if you had an npc server offline then there would be no point in renting a playerworld for a lot of people. They'd just go "Well we can get everything done offline"

Remember, back then everyone was like "OSHT WE NEED TO GET THIS SERVER ONLINE SO WE CAN FIX THE SCRIPTS AND SHIZZLE"

They wouldnt give you a free npc server to play around with offline.

XiLe
08-17-2004, 06:37 PM
What if it's like $10/month to rent an offline NPCserver? With limited function? :P Just some of the more commonly used things nowadays, and it's $10/month for a 2-player gserver offline so you can test things. And a bunch of people that wouldn't want to rent a gserver might kick in to improve their scripting skills. I might do that.

Xecutor
08-17-2004, 10:02 PM
What if it's like $10/month to rent an offline NPCserver? With limited function? :P Just some of the more commonly used things nowadays, and it's $10/month for a 2-player gserver offline so you can test things. And a bunch of people that wouldn't want to rent a gserver might kick in to improve their scripting skills. I might do that.
If something like that was to be released, chances are that someone would make some sort of patch for unlimited usage meaning Graal Online would lose money.

ZeroTrack
08-27-2004, 08:58 PM
wouldnt having it offline also pose a huge security risk, as in hackers being able to trigger serverside only commands and strings?

GotenJenova
09-01-2004, 05:07 PM
As awesome as that sounds. I don't see it happening :frown:

ForgottenLegacy
09-11-2004, 08:17 PM
I say it should be done. Offline script being able to use all the NPC-Server commands and functions, as well as have a mini-NC in the level editor. The NC could be hard-coded directly into the game's exe, or could be a .dll file or .ext file outside the exe. The thing could be completely independant of Stefan's servers, so, no harm could be done to the servers. It seems like a good idea to me, that is, if Stefan realizes that getting rid of the offline level editor is a bad idea. I mean, how could you tryout for LAT on a server without being able to make levels offline to submit? Same with NAT, too. The offline level editor is needed, since not everyone has RC, and you need the level editor to make things you can submit to get a staff position.