PDA

View Full Version : 'favicon.ico', but for servers.

Rick
07-18-2004, 01:35 AM
The idea is; that when the serverlist is requested, custom icons for servers that have them would also be downloaded and displayed in the list of servers. (So, each server entry can potentially have an icon displayed next to it).

Loriel suggested that the icon could also be displayed as the toolbar/window icon if the player connects to that server, as well.

Cybnext
07-18-2004, 09:40 AM
The idea is; that when the serverlist is requested, custom icons for servers that have them would also be downloaded and displayed in the list of servers. (So, each server entry can potentially have an icon displayed next to it).

Loriel suggested that the icon could also be displayed as the toolbar/window icon if the player connects to that server, as well.

I'm guessing that it would have to be changed by spark, or some other high admin. Otherwise you'll end up with inappropriate icons.

Lance
07-18-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm guessing that it would have to be changed by spark, or some other high admin. Otherwise you'll end up with inappropriate icons.

I'm just curious, but what sort of inappropriate icons can be done in 16x16...? I'm sure it's possible, but that just seems like such a small space.

Rick
07-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I'm just curious, but what sort of inappropriate icons can be done in 16x16...? I'm sure it's possible, but that just seems like such a small space.
Agreed.

However, it could be a requested type setting; much like server names.

LordMatt
07-18-2004, 11:09 AM
If I had the time and the ability to draw I could come up with some noticable ones. Maybe 3 servers could get together and spell out SEX or something for fun.

Edit: I added a picture I just made to show what I meant. (no offense or harm ment towards the servers discreminated in the following picture)

Rufus
07-23-2004, 05:47 PM
But that would always change with playercounts so it would only work for a short time :P

xManiamaNx
07-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Servers could get punished for having bad icons too.

konidias
07-25-2004, 03:42 AM
You could fit a swastika in there.

XiLe
07-25-2004, 06:23 AM
A good artist could fit many things in there. It'd be cool though as long as it's moderated by the PWA or something, though. Like Zenkou, if it is ever truly active (which I heard Zeon quit) could have a small palm tree to fit beach theme. Era could have a Pistol. It'd give flavor to the serverlist and cut the sameness from the imagery of Graal.

Malinko
07-25-2004, 02:52 PM
If I had the time and the ability to draw I could come up with some noticable ones. Maybe 3 servers could get together and spell out SEX or something for fun.
Who would waste time to do that xD.

Crono
07-25-2004, 03:53 PM

So? You could fit a cross, jewish sign, bald guy, RC face, or a letter. Big deal?

Dach
07-25-2004, 04:59 PM
The fact is, it's a good idea. A small amount of moderation is needed on the submission, but who cares? It just adds that extra slight amount of proffesionalism to Graal. The only real question is if Stefan is too lazy to add it ;)

Crono
07-25-2004, 05:00 PM
The only real question is if Stefan is too lazy to add it ;)

Oh crap, I didnt have that in mind =(

Thallen
07-25-2004, 05:54 PM
...Why are people going to put innapropriate things in a 16x16 icon when they could just throw it anywhere on there server, much larger, with lesser the risk of it being found?

That point was further supported in posts that have been removed for the sake of conciseness of this thread -ben

Python523
07-25-2004, 08:04 PM
A swastika is supposed to mean peace :D

Crono
07-25-2004, 08:36 PM
A swastika is supposed to mean peace :D

We have Germans playing, they'll pretend to be offended and throw a fit. Same with the jews -_-;

Admins
08-05-2004, 01:52 AM
May be the icon could be specified in the server options and is downloaded by the client at login, and for the servers with most players (kingdoms, unholy naton, valikorlia etc.) we could put them in the Graal download package so you already have it when you start Graal for the first time.

Rufus
08-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Well do it then :)