PDA

View Full Version : vip.graal chmod

Daniel
06-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Hmm have been playing around with the vip.graal thing but I noticed that I can’t chmod files, why not?

Thallen
06-23-2004, 01:54 AM
Noticed this as well, I posted about this. I tried to install a YaBB forum and it made all the files text-only. They said it's because it's an Apache server or something.

Loriel
06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Hm, last I checked it does not offer cgi?

Trevor
06-23-2004, 08:05 PM
If you trying to chmod to make a php executable, don't worry about it. When you upload a file apache takes ownership of the file and chmod is thus useless. That is my expierience on my own box anyways.

If you have some other reason... I have no answer.

@loriel: I believe they have offered php from the begining.

Loriel
06-23-2004, 08:26 PM
But php is not exactly cgi? At least not in the commonly used configuration I know.

Thallen
06-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Hm, last I checked it does not offer cgi?
I am trying to install a Perl YaBB forum, and it's text-only. Save me.
http://thallen.vip.graal.net/hosted/kurenaijoukai/forum/YaBB.pl

Trevor
06-23-2004, 09:21 PM
But php is not exactly cgi? At least not in the commonly used configuration I know.
(Common Gateway Interface) - A set of rules that describe how a Web Server communicates with another piece of software on the same machine, and how the other piece of software (the “CGI program”) talks to the web server. Any piece of software can be a CGI program if it handles input and output according to the CGI standard.You can often see that a CGI program is being used by seeing “cgi-bin” in a URL. See Also: cgi-bin, Web Go to top
-www.easynet.com/investorinfo/investorinfo_glossary.asp

I always took CGI as meaning a program that runs serverside and takes in input and spits out output. I could be wrong though.

GrowlZ1010
06-23-2004, 09:25 PM
I am trying to install a Perl YaBB forum, and it's text-only. Save me.Does the Graal VIP hosting system even support Perl? I thought it was just PHP available for serverside stuff.
I always took CGI as meaning a program that runs serverside and takes in input and spits out output. I could be wrong though.This is indeed true. However, in many situations, PHP is run as an Apache module, which stops it being an external program. Thus, PHP is not usually regarded as CGI, unless your web server runs it as a CGI executable, which some prefer.

Trevor
06-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Ahh, so once you have mod_php installed then it isn't CGI? Ok. Thank for the explanation. Always nice to learn something new. :)