PDA

View Full Version : Classic dev

black_skys32
06-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone Lone here im an LAT for classic dev and we are getting ready to make the big switch in which giving the Adventure server its long awaited Npc server update. Right now im looking for some criticisim and ideas of what you would like to see added or changed all comments can be directed to me or master storm.
My email: [email protected]

haunter
06-22-2004, 02:20 AM
*looks for things to critisize*

zs0
06-22-2004, 02:33 AM
Why do you need an NPC Server??

Bring on the lag..

matt8891
06-22-2004, 03:12 AM

Bring on the lag..

The NPC-Server is what makes NPC's work. It also does not cause that much lag.You can also reduce lag in a level by not using so many NPC's(which will make the loading of NPC's faster since theres not alot to load) and use more tiles.

-Ramirez-
06-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Graal 3.1 will REQUIRE an NPC Server, that's why. At least that's what Stefan told me a while ago. (I'm pretty sure it was him... lmao, my memory sucks.)

*looks for things to critisize*
Haha, you'll probably find plenty.

Unpredlctable
06-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Hmm...
black_skys32...
Is that Lone? Lone's an LAT for Classic Dev.? News to me :rolleyes:

Matman58
06-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I don't care I just hope Graal Classic is less laggy

black_skys32
06-22-2004, 06:14 PM
yes graal will be less laggy and trust me i know there is plenty to complain about im just waiting to see if someone says something

Malinko
06-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Whoa, when did this happen? I was on there like a few mins. ago O_o?!

Malinko
06-22-2004, 06:22 PM
To add to my note, the dev server isn't even done, only levels are O_o.

-Ramirez-
06-22-2004, 07:03 PM
yes graal will be less laggy
That depends on your perspective. In terms of actual bandwidth usage, yes, there is less for the client to upload, possibly less to download, but not much. In terms of actual gameplay... get ready for a big increase in usage delay on a lot of old NPCs, as quite a few require something to be done serverside. If you guys know what you're doing, you'll script them to have the least amount of delay possible when the NPCs are used. Even then, a lot of them are going to be more delayed than they are now, as everything can simply be done clientside and be sent to the server, which sends it to everyone else.

Tyhm
06-22-2004, 09:48 PM
The difficulty comes in trusting the client to do the calculations. If the client lies and the server repeats it, there's problems; the server has to at least make sure the client's answers are reasonable.

-Ramirez-
06-22-2004, 09:54 PM
The difficulty comes in trusting the client to do the calculations. If the client lies and the server repeats it, there's problems; the server has to at least make sure the client's answers are reasonable.
I'm referring mainly to the delays involved with triggeractions. Without an NPC Server, there's no need for the triggers, as you can simply perform whatever you need clientside and it'll be sent to the other players automatically. This allows for the person using it to see it working instantly, but everyone else will have a delay. With the NPC Server... NOBODY gets the "instant" version. :(

Tyhm
06-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Unless you do everything with one NPC and a lot of showimgs; a puppetmaster and a lot of puppets. The trouble is the NPCSize Limit. :-P

-Ramirez-
06-23-2004, 12:10 AM
The trouble is the NPCSize Limit
Classes can help that. :P I've personally never exceeded this limit yet.

zs0
06-23-2004, 12:16 AM
NPCs work without the NPC Server on Classic.

But thanks, whoever said that they needed NPC Server for Graal 3.1

-Ramirez-
06-23-2004, 12:23 AM
How would you happen to know this?

zs0
06-23-2004, 12:29 AM
How would you happen to know this?
Because I have LOTS of NPCs that work on Classic?

I dunno

-Ramirez-
06-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Because I have LOTS of NPCs that work on Classic?
Wow, that made sense. You obviously don't know the difference between 3.0 and 3.1, or perhaps even 2.2 and 3.1, which would make you even more of an idiot.

zs0
06-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Probably because I haven't gotten a lot of details on them? Hm.

And no, that doesn't make me an idiot. Classic doesn't have an NPC Server yet, and the NPCs on there work, am I correct? I'm not saying they will work on 3.1, so shutup, thanks.

-Ramirez-
06-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Probably because I haven't gotten a lot of details on them? Hm.

And no, that doesn't make me an idiot. Classic doesn't have an NPC Server yet, and the NPCs on there work, am I correct? I'm not saying they will work on 3.1, so shutup, thanks.
Ok... I think there's been a misunderstanding here, I hope anyway. You said:

But thanks, whoever said that they needed NPC Server for Graal 3.1
When I first read that, it immediately seemed to me like you were being a smartass. That's probably not what you intended it to be, was it? If not, I apologize.

For clarification... yes, of course NPCs work on Classic with Graal 2.22, and 3.03 (which doesn't implement the new scripting engine and all of the other things that 3.1 will bring). Stefan (again, I'm pretty sure it was him...) told me that 3.1 will require an NPC Server for any server it connects to, meaning Classic must have one for anyone to use 3.1 on it.

zs0
06-23-2004, 12:49 AM
I was saying that Classic, now, doesn't need an NPC Server and the NPC's worked, I didn't realize that 3.1 needed an NPC Server because I was never told that. And I was thanking whoever said that because I didn't know, and now I do.

-Ramirez-
06-23-2004, 01:00 AM
And I was thanking whoever said that because I didn't know, and now I do.
So, once again, it's a misinterpretation on my part. :/

zs0
06-23-2004, 01:06 AM
So, once again, it's a misinterpretation on my part. :/
Lmao, I'm never a smart ass unless I've got a legit reason to be :o

Malinko
06-23-2004, 04:23 AM
Whoever said the conversion is done, they are insane, scripts are 0% done and the levels aren't even 100%. They are crazy O_o.

-Ramirez-
06-23-2004, 04:35 AM
They are crazy O_o.
Hahaha, that's the same thing I think too. Oh well, it'll just make Stefan more willing to release 3.1, so that's good. :P