PDA

View Full Version : Limits on NPC annoyingness.

Loriel
03-30-2004, 05:08 PM
I think the following server options should be added; while not vital they might prevent some fuss.

`disabledcommands'.
If a command is included in this list, it will not be executed but instead a warning will be logged that holds information about what script tried to; and possibly where that script comes from (to prevent some unknown script putnpc'ing scripts with forbidden commands).
For example, a server might decide that it does not need sendtorc or sendpm because it has only been abused or so, and thus easily get rid of it. Also, toweapons should be disabled before uploading old levels that possibly hax0r the weapons database.

`commandlimits'
As a means to limit the functionality of possibly abusive commands, a line like commandlimits=sendtorc=5,sendtonc=10,sendpm=2 would allow, in a timespan of ten seconds, only five lines sent to RC chat, ten lines to NC chat (more because of possible debugging messages ;)), and two PMs to one person.
Sadly this also prevents our nifty /npcnuke command on debug that goes like for (i = 0; i < 10000; i ++) sendpm omg die;, but I will have to deal with that.
There could possibly be other commands that can be limited, but I cannot think of any at the moment. Perhaps logging commands, but if you limit them you might possibly lose much information.

Also, it would be nice to have an RC chat command like /npcstartsleeping, so the NPC server can be made available to have its scripts edited, but they will not be executed until a real /npcstart is run. This prevents scripting that brings down the server immediately after its startup to prevent itself from being fixed.

R0bin
03-31-2004, 01:14 AM
*knocks hammer*
agreed.
next order of business?

zokemon
03-31-2004, 03:22 AM
I like it =)

TESTRETIS
03-31-2004, 06:42 AM
ANYTHING to disable toweapons. :)

zokemon
04-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by TESTRETIS
ANYTHING to disable toweapons. :)

That will disabled in version 3 I think

-Ramirez-
04-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by zokemon
That will disabled in version 3 I think
Yeah... considering Stefan said he's removing all support for a clientside only server. Any commands that still exist only for Classic won't be necessary anymore.

Loriel
04-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Can we still have it now?

Polo
04-01-2004, 04:20 PM
On the topic of server options, I noticed that if you disable ap, then ap stops mrising an lowering, however, if a player has under 40 ap, they cannot heal, even though ap is turned off. What I would like to see would be a way to keep ap (The names changing color etc.) but remove the effects of ap so that pk'ers could still heal.

Loriel
04-01-2004, 05:01 PM
I thought this was what apsystem=true/false is doing >.<