PDA

View Full Version : Weekly RP-Story

Satrek2000
03-10-2004, 11:46 PM
First, I want to make it clear that this is an experiment - nothing official.

What I thought of is a weekly, forum-based event to increase the rp-depth of gk and maybe even get more people to roleplay. This week's prize is a bottle of fine booze. If it works out, after one of two tries, I might award an eventcoin to the winner. If it does not work out, well, I think it's worth the try.

The task: write an original rp-story for/about a place or item from anywhere on the Archipelagos named here. It will be a different one each week.

There are a few simple restrictions:
- use proper grammar and spelling (u, r, y and so on are letters, not words... "I" is an excemption :p)
- send the story to me via forum-pm - stories I receive via Graal, instant message or mail will not participate
- limit your story to a reasonable length. As this is a bit vague, let's just say it shouldn't be longer than 1/2 screen (still vague, do your best)
- don't contradict yourself, and don't contradict the facts online
- try to stick to the kingdom themes if possible
- while there's no official history of the archipelagos, I tend to stick with the idea that in the distant past, a ship of settlers landed on main, formed the kingdoms and brought their beliefs and cultures to the islands - no matter whether you agree or not, write your story so that it has little or no impact on anything else

I will publish the target location of the week, then you have 5 days to come up with a nice story about it and send it to me as mentioned above. I will read and judge them, and pick the one that fits the above rules best and that I like. You'll have to trust in my independance ;). The winning story will then be posted here, while I might put the other competitors somewhere for everyone to read, too. If you do not want your piece published if you do not win, please mention it in the pm with the story.

This week's point of interest is:

The Bonsai on the table at the right wall of Avalonia's Barbershop

http://www.satrek.de/stories/week01_bonsai.png

What's it's history? Who planted it? Maybe the pot's an ancient artifact? Or the seedling was exposed to some arcane discharge? Get creative but don't exaggerate, get into detail but don't lose yourself there.

Please only post here if you have something constructive to say. You can also pm me directly.

Kaiser2
03-12-2004, 12:56 AM
The "Official" Story of GK is that evil alien bomies arrived on this planet, saw their own kind being treated as mere animals, and started to attack. The people escaped in ships and founded 5 kingdoms. I could embellish more...but I won't.

Satrek2000
03-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Well, it doesn't really matter what anyone personally believes or makes up as history for themself, the point would be to create small fragments of history that can fit almost anywhere. If nobody's interested, the idea will probably be laid to rest here, but it's worth a try - and, if it works out, it may eben ve worth an eventcoin at some point.

Kaiser2
03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I plan on writing a story for this, but I haven't had much time to even do my homework, with all the moving we've been doing.

SlikRick
03-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I think it's a really cool idea :D

GoZelda
03-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser2
The "Official" Story of GK is that evil alien bomies arrived on this planet, saw their own kind being treated as mere animals, and started to attack. The people escaped in ships and founded 5 kingdoms. I could embellish more...but I won't.
http://www.graalonline.com/about/kingdoms.php

--Well, it doesn't really matter what anyone personally believes or makes up as history for themself, the point would be to create small fragments of history that can fit almost anywhere. If nobody's interested, the idea will probably be laid to rest here, but it's worth a try - and, if it works out, it may eben ve worth an eventcoin at some point.

if these stories were saved it'd be great. Creates an atosphere, ya know.

Satrek2000
03-14-2004, 11:30 AM
I plan to put them on my homepage at least. As for the bomy story, I will stick with my approach for now, but in a way that does not affect the stories or anything, just as a different basis, so basically it doesn't make a difference ;)

Satrek2000
03-15-2004, 11:05 PM
If you intend to submit a story, you still have about a day left. I already got feedback, so I think I will keep this up for at least another week, of course with a new item.

Satrek2000
03-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Okay, the polls are closed - I receives 2 stories, which I, in my blind optimism, concider a good start. I will rate them today and publish the winner (and the oher one) in the evening. The bottle of booze will be handed out accordingly.

Kaiser2
03-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Sorry. :o
I was going to write a whole tale about a KJ merchant heading to Dustari to deliver the Bonsai plant as a token of kindness, but then got attacked by bandits along the Avalonia road and was found by the barbershop lady. Then gave the gift to the barbershop lady instead, and she kept it out of sentimental value.

Oh well. too late.

Satrek2000
03-18-2004, 11:11 PM
I apologize for the delay - it won't happen again. Well, maybe it will, but then I'll apologize again. Anyway, I have to announce that we have a winner out of 2 stories that have been submitted this time. Gozelda aka Cyrin won, with the following piece:

The picture on the table is the picture of the Grandfather of the barbergirl. The parents of the girl died, and she lived in with her grandfather and they liked eachother a lot. Just before the war of Dustari v.s. Bakugun, the grandfather, who was forced to join the military, sended the girl to the main island, to Avalon, and he gave her the picture. Years passed after that, and the girl wasn't sure whether her grandfather was dead or alive. Eventually, she decided to set out to the Samurai island, and visit her old home. She saw it, and noticed it was burned down. North of it was a memorial graveyard, and on one of the stones was inscripted the name of her grandfather. The girl wept alot near the grave, then she decided to move on. But, she saw a little tree growing right behind her father's grave. She took the tree with her, put it in a little pot, and put it next to the picture of her grandfather of the table, the memorize him for ever.

Butz aka Shawn submitted this text, and it was close:

As it were in ancient times, before the arrival of the five kingdoms to the Graal Archipelago, the islands were barely populated at all. Spread out sparsely across the isles were a few small tribes, but nothing that could be considered a civilization. One such tribe was located in the area which is now considered Tanarthia and Avalonia. This tribe focused their beliefs on the spirits of nature, and could have very well been early followers of the Goddess Brigid. Believing that nature would protect them, they planted such small trees around their area. Though proven in these modern times, where death by shell bomy is at an all time low, that trees offer no natural protection against evil, the belief has arisen again as a superstition. One such believer to this superstition is the hairdresser of Avalonia, who keeps a small tree on the counter in her shop reasoning that it cannot harm anything and also that it adds atmosphere to her otherwise plain shop.

Now, for next week:
The same rules apply as last week, with a slight change: if I get 3 or more valid stories, the prize will be an eventcoin for the winner, otherwise it'll be a bottle of booze.

The second week's point of interest is:

The Kryss stuck in the ground in the Magic Crystal shop in Igloo Town
http://www.satrek.de/stories/week02_icekryss.png

GoZelda
03-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Satrek2000

The Kryss stuck in the ground in the Magic Crystal shop in Igloo Town
http://www.satrek.de/stories/week02_icekryss.png
Stefan's mouse went astray, what's left to say?

Okay i'll think up something good, i'm getting ideas :P

Satrek2000
03-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by GoZelda

Stefan's mouse went astray, what's left to say?

Put that into a propper rp-context and get a free tree seed for creativity :p

Kaiser2
03-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Now, with this, I could do a better story. :cool:

I'm much better at war stories, I think, but that's not saying much.

GoZelda
03-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser2
Now, with this, I could do a better story. :cool:

I'm much better at war stories, I think, but that's not saying much.
Yeah, like you stuck the sword trough a body and could get it out of the ground, then the body decayed but the sword stays. Heh.

My idea, dun steal k?

Satrek2000
03-24-2004, 11:00 AM
I already got 2 stories, polls will be closed tomorrow in the evening when I get back home eventually. If you still want to submit a piece, please do so until then, specially as right now, it's booze again instead of an event coin ;)

GoZelda
03-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I already got 2 stories, polls will be closed tomorrow in the evening when I get back home eventually. If you still want to submit a piece, please do so until then, specially as right now, it's booze again instead of an event coin ;)
Comeon people, send that stories :(

Monkeyboy_McGee
03-25-2004, 01:01 AM

Does that include my shortened one, satrek? <3

Satrek2000
03-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Monkeyboy_McGee
Does that include my shortened one, satrek? <3

It includes your shorter version yet excludes the longer one ;)

Monkeyboy_McGee
03-25-2004, 06:50 PM

It includes your shorter version yet excludes the longer one ;)

Yay! lol, the longer one really was just a bit silly...it'd be a good story, but yeah XD

Satrek2000
03-25-2004, 08:56 PM
As I just got back home and need to sort some things... 1 more hour for a 3rd story to pop up.

Edit: Okay, this week's closed. It's booze-time again, tomorrow. I'm currently testing a new thingy to work homepages with, so maybe I can put these stories up soon.

Satrek2000
03-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Looks like someone delights in my delays - with the forum being down and such. Anyway, we have a winner, and this week it is LegoBomb, followed by Cyrin's 2nd place - but as there were only 2 textx, that doesn't really matter ;). The texts can be found here (http://www.satrek.de/graal/stories/stories.html).

For the next week, how about having a note about the picture hanging behind the lone postman in his office on the Crescent island. It's up to you whether it's actually fruits or something else, as long as you come up with a good story. And remember, 3 texts and the winner gets an event coin.

http://www.satrek.de/graal/stories/week03_piratepicture.png

By the way, there may be a special one for 'past events missed' where you can send in those stories about previous points of interest that you missed and still win, so don't scrap your imagination completely ;).

Monkeyboy_McGee
03-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Yay! I won one! :D

k, if only me and cyrin enter this next one, i will go crazy and throw asshats at everyone. Then again, a picture...that's a hard one :P

Satrek2000
04-02-2004, 08:27 PM
I got 2 so far (once again)... From GoZelda and Butz. Last call then, to get a chance for the score, and by doing so turning the booze into a coin ;)

Edit: Okay, once again, only 2 stories - I'll sort them out tomorrow.

Satrek2000
04-04-2004, 03:01 PM
We're stuck with booze for the third week in a row. GoZelda and Butz submitted stories, and this week, Butz had the more rlyable tale to offer. For details, see here (http://www.satrek.de/graal/stories/stories.html)

http://www.satrek.de/graal/stories/week04_pir.png

The point of interest for the next week is... Pir's Sign at the door of his workshop. Did he carve it himself? Was it a gift? A piece of the famour Stefanic, the ship that sunk on it's first cruise?

Monkeyboy_McGee
04-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I feel ashamed for having not entered that last one, but i just couldnt think of a decent story! And it looks like this Pir sign will be hard, too; I can hardly remember anything about that guy x_X

Heh, one day you should put this all into a book, satrek, called "The Chronicles of Graal" and you could sell it on the website and make you and stefan lots of moneyz :P

Satrek2000
04-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I feel ashamed for having not entered that last one, but i just couldnt think of a decent story! And it looks like this Pir sign will be hard, too; I can hardly remember anything about that guy x_X

That's the point about making things up - and nobody ever said it would be easy ;)

Heh, one day you should put this all into a book, satrek, called "The Chronicles of Graal" and you could sell it on the website and make you and stefan lots of moneyz :P

Would be nice to see how much money would be lost after we paid off the printers, editors etc :p

Monkeyboy_McGee
04-04-2004, 06:24 PM

Would be nice to see how much money would be lost after we paid off the printers, editors etc :p

Paying off who now? Just get some asian country to make them, like nike does.

Satrek2000
04-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Paying off who now? Just get some asian country to make them, like nike does.

Neither will they print for free, nor will the transport come in cheap :p

Satrek2000
04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Ah well, due to easter and work, it's almost 2 weeks now - and I only received a single story so far. C'mon, as always, the deadline's tomorrow, so you've been warned ;)

Monkeyboy_McGee
04-16-2004, 01:52 AM
osht, i completely forgot about this. i'll try and write one now, it'll suck a fat one tho :(

Satrek2000
04-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Okay, we're closed again, and I'll announce the winner later or tomorrow - and this week(s), we'll actually have a coin.

Monkeyboy_McGee
04-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Okay, we're closed again, and I'll announce the winner later or tomorrow - and this week(s), we'll actually have a coin.

Hey cool...i think you still owe me my drink from the last story, heh

Reflux
04-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Out of curiosity, how many entries did you Get?

Satrek2000
04-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I got 3 stories this time. And as I was unable to post since the new version was added, so... we'll have a pretty basic one next - something that could be anything:

http://www.satrek.de/graal/stories/week05_table.png

A pretty basic table in a pretty expensice house in Bogenera. Good luck, you'll need it ;)

Monkeyboy_McGee
04-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Oh, Ez. lololol. I have the perfect idea already $$

Myukoi
04-27-2004, 01:30 AM
What do they have to be rated? I mean i'm sure you can't rape people with the picture/sign for pleasure, but what is allowed?

Satrek2000
04-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Let me put it this way - you can write whatever you want as long as it's believable and without flaws in the plot. So you can write whatever you want, but if I think it's too, shall we say, rough in any respect, it will not count in favor of your story. After all, it should be fit for players at any age to read.

.oO(Rape? I don't want to know... but nevertheless I am curious... shouldn't've said that... ;))

Myomoto
04-27-2004, 03:57 PM
What do they have to be rated? I mean i'm sure you can't rape people with the picture/sign for pleasure, but what is allowed?

Rape with a picture, wtf you sicko x_x

Myukoi
04-28-2004, 12:41 AM
..? She could get posessed and harm herself with sharp objects, in certain areas. :p

Myomoto
04-28-2004, 01:16 PM
now that's just even more wierd... o.o

Satrek2000
04-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Uhm... let me put it this way now: I don't mind slightly sexual or erotic contens. If it is over the pg-line, it will count against your story. If it is like anything Myukoi mentioned here - rape in combination with sharp objects, whatever - the story will certainly not win, and I will decide whether he/she is excluded from the next round. I am, in fact, very open-minded, but I know both my limits as well as those that apply in a public forum such as this one is.

Myukoi
04-29-2004, 05:19 AM
I removed the story here and saved it locally. Next time please follow the rules mentioned in this thread about the proper ways to submit your story.

Satrek

Myukoi
04-29-2004, 05:22 AM
Wow, that was so fun! Writing something all the sudden without notice, it was so great! I haven't written anything in so long, i'm really a good writer, but i need training! I'll defintly be writing more. Thank you! ^^

Myomoto
04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
ok.... that was wierd... ._:

Monkeyboy_McGee
04-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, congratulations on Not bothering to read the rules myukoi. If you had been thoughtful enough to do so, you would have seen the bit where Satrek tells us to forum PM him the stories.

GoZelda
04-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah, congratulations on Not bothering to read the rules myukoi. If you had been thoughtful enough to do so, you would have seen the bit where Satrek tells us to forum PM him the stories.
If you'd been thoughtful enough to read the story, you'd notice it has no relevance to the object whatsoever :spam:

Satrek2000
04-29-2004, 09:23 PM
First, I've edited your post Myukoi in order to remove the story and saved it locally.
Second, I will not comment on a story's quality in any way, at least not before the end of this round.
Third, the point of this is to write a story about a given item, like the wooden sign at Pir's workshop's door, or the bonsai in Avalonia's Barbershop. Only the last one counts, i.e. the table in the forementioned house in Bogenera. The story should explain either how it was crafted, how it got there, why the owner keeps such an old, instable table etc - here's where creativity and imagination kick in.
Also, the stories are not meant to be continued episodes, just a short account revolving about a given item. Of course, you can write your own novells, and if it makes you happy post them here, but such textx are not what this event is focused on ;)

Myukoi
04-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Oh, well then just trash it, i guess it sucks anyway.

Satrek2000
04-30-2004, 07:37 AM
If you want me to drop it from the list just say so. Feel free to write a new one, now that you know the rules :)

Added: Okay, as always, this is the final wake-up, err, warning-call, this story will close tomorrow about the same time.

Satrek2000
05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Sorry, I hope these delays will cease now, but you never know... also, I don't mean to annoy you with nasty details of my real life ;)

This week, I have received 2 stories, for I take it that Myuoki wanted her's to be taken out again. It was a tough decision this time, not because of a quality difference, but because the stories were quite different in general. Hence, and as there's no coin to award, GoZelda wins the bottle of booze for keeping his story short, and while largely plot-less, it's still in the event's spirit ;). Legobomb gets a tree seed for his healthy imagination, the localization of the starting island and the most pointless use of the word "****" in a serious script. Wait, the last one's from Douglas Adams... anyway, I do know that this week's item wasn't the best choice, maybe it was not unique enough.
As I currently can't upload files to my site, I'll add the stories tomorrow, as well as announce a new, more special item.

Monkeyboy_McGee
05-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Ehh, i really aught to work on shortening my pieces ^^
gg cyrin :D

also satrek...what's this four letter word i used? I scanned through it just now and i didnt find any rude words o_O

Satrek2000
05-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Looks like I have to apologize every week for the delay... maybe I should change the title from 'weekly' to 'more or less regular'.
Anyway, it's an insider from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the prize if for the most pointless use of the 4-letter swear-word that starts with an f. Actually, I wasn't serious about you using it.

Anyway, how about a new round? Maybe something less unspecific this week, err, time...

http://www.satrek.de/graal/stories/week06_spellbook.png
What is this spellbook doing up there? Who put it there? Maybe it isn't a spellbook after all?

Oh, and a lolly for the person to first forum-pm me this book's location ;)