PDA

View Full Version : pics1.png organized

zell12
02-28-2004, 01:06 AM
I think that the tileset should be organized so that two matching tiles are not on either side of the tileset... Its kinda hard for making levels, not that I have a big problem with it, but there is always room for improvement.

Also, mabey make it so you can chose different layers when adding tiles? So you can choose the base, things players can walk over, then you put down the stuff they cant, then you add other things, like chairs and stuff.

G_yoshi
02-28-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by zell12
I think that the tileset should be organized so that two matching tiles are not on either side of the tileset... Its kinda hard for making levels, not that I have a big problem with it, but there is always room for improvement.

Also, mabey make it so you can chose different layers when adding tiles? So you can choose the base, things players can walk over, then you put down the stuff they cant, then you add other things, like chairs and stuff.

Get this! You can do it yourself! :o

How? By using tiletype 1 instead of the default 0. GK has a rather blank inside tileset with objects in each section to point out what those sections are for. So why wait for someone else to do it when you can do it yourself? To use it online it would be a very simple script.

zell12
02-28-2004, 05:35 AM
What are you talking about? :(

Kappa00p2p
02-28-2004, 09:57 AM
you can re arrange the tiles yourself :mad:

WanDaMan
02-28-2004, 10:53 AM
I'd like a new tileset, but not the actuall graal one right now to be overwrited..

Loriel
02-28-2004, 02:15 PM
That is the more sensible part of your post that imho would have deserved its own thread.

R0bin
02-28-2004, 04:35 PM
I agree

<3 FTO

xManiamaNx
02-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been thinking about converting pics1.png to the new tileset format. I might get bored one day and actually do it :p

jake13jake
02-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Loriel

That is the more sensible part of your post that imho would have deserved its own thread.
http://forums.graal2001.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50200
That's somewhat similar to a post I made a long time ago. Except, makes more sense than what I said, and is a lot better, too. I got flamed a lot more on my thread though. Mostly because I'm not very good at explaining myself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tileset Maps Idea-

You assign a specific color using RGB (or possibly hex) to each type of tile in a text file. (wall,grass,swamp,etc.)
You can make new tile types in the text file, that can be read through vars in Graal.
You make a map of how you want your tileset to be read using the colors that determine how it's read.

Ex. for the txt file:
[123,123,123,wall]
[124,124,124,swamp]
[125,125,125,newwall1]

Then in Graal you could put (something like):
if (playerontile(newwall1)){
hurt 1;
}
-------------------------------------------------------------
Expanding on Layers Idea-

Add a dropdown menu in the level editor for tile layer.
You have a set of layers, the lowest layer being 0.
When you make a new layer you set a z value to the layer.
A layer higher than 0 can have areas without tiles.

I'm not trying to treat this like it's in Stefan's plans or anything, but outlines are fun. :P

Originally posted by xManiamaNx
I've been thinking about converting pics1.png to the new tileset format. I might get bored one day and actually do it :p
I actually think that pics1.png is a little bit bigger than the type 1 tileset.

zell12
02-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Well if I re arrange the pics1.png to the way I want it, however you do that, then it will mess up my levels when other people view them? o.O

Also, if you ever used RPGMaker then you understand what I mean about the layers.

Polo
02-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Layers is a good idea, but it would mean cangin the current file format for Graal levels, and thats rarely an easy task.

zell12
02-29-2004, 02:18 AM
Who cares. Delete all the playerworlds and make them make new levels, they won't mind at all. :)

xManiamaNx
02-29-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by jake13jake

I actually think that pics1.png is a little bit bigger than the type 1 tileset.

You sure? I thought it was the other way around.

zell12
02-29-2004, 05:23 AM
what are you guys talking about: type 0 type 1

G_yoshi
02-29-2004, 05:30 AM
what are you guys talking about: type 0 type 1

Its the tileset definition

0 - Classic/Default definition
1 - New definition. This one is more organized
5 - Used for terrain gmaps

G_yoshi
02-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Who cares. Delete all the playerworlds and make them make new levels, they won't mind at all. :)

Uhm, yeah, I will mind.

zell12
02-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by G_yoshi

Uhm, yeah, I will mind.
Naw, you can make a new one. ;)
Or we can do it a better way and enable this feature but the old levels dont need it? I dont know.

Also, how do you change the pics1 format

TB3
03-02-2004, 06:07 AM

Naw, you can make a new one. ;)
Or we can do it a better way and enable this feature but the old levels dont need it? I dont know.

Also, how do you change the pics1 format

Hmmm wonder why its pics1 and it uses 0 format shouldnt it be pics0 :)
Well This might be interesting

hmmmmmmm.. you may see another post from me here soon i have an idea

TB3
03-03-2004, 04:33 PM
So you mean something that looks sorta like this ?:rolleyes:

TB3
03-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Well anyways the forums are back up finaly YAY
and i was kinda working on a pics1 type thing
I've been re-editing / recoloring and creating all new tiles for a brand new pics1.png here is a preview ill show another preview in the graphix section l8r
I may have to remove some predefined objects in order to get all of the basic tiles in . if i do ill pull them out into seperate graphix
rar!

by getting rid of some objects i mean things like the golden tree and the snow gravestone and the mailbox you know the things that are rarley used and probably better off as an npc with setshape anyways.

TB3
03-04-2004, 09:09 PM
OMFG cliff tiles are the biggest pain ive ever seen djl;afjdlfjal;sdj ahhhhhh its going to take me longer!!
Anyone realy good with cliff tiles think they can help me?

TB3
03-04-2004, 09:57 PM
n/m I did it myself..
but let me know what objects you think are better off left as an npc and not in tileset (Tileset is supposed to be a tileset not an object set so ill make object npc set in a sprite set instead of a tileset)
Cause im out of block tile space on the tileset lolz
But ive allready removed the ice gravestone , the bomy gravestones , the big green statue, the mailbox , what else should i be gone with ?

I wish setbacktile worked on graal i could have made tree's and such look awesome with layering. It would be nice to maybe have a new level format a .lnw or .lgl (layered new world)/(layeredgraallevel) and have it use different layers for tiles that would be pretty cool ill post that in future improvments when i get home tonight l8r gone to work

zell12
03-04-2004, 10:28 PM
We alreadly talked about that ;)

TB3
03-06-2004, 08:03 AM
The hard thing to do is distinguish what should be left in tileset and what should be seperated as an object because some objects and or their parts make good ineteresting tiles. But im still out of room to fit the rest of the blocking tile parts in. What else should I seperate from the bottom of this tileset as an object to put in an object image file instead of the TILESET ?

R0bin
03-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Trees, They arent needed in the tileset, Tree images can be put next to each other (overlapping) and still look good,
trees on the tileset do not join properly.

TB3
03-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by R0bin
Trees, They arent needed in the tileset, Tree images can be put next to each other (overlapping) and still look good,
trees on the tileset do not join properly.
Im putting all but the green tree (because its tiled so often) into the objects image.

How bout anymore you think should be moved? (from that picture of course) id move the light but i wasnt sure if ne one tiled it much
There is also the problem with lag if you lag into a level a little you can run by some npcs before they load so I will make a blocking tile with each ground color so when you know where you want to place an object and you want it permanently blocked off you can make sure they can't sneak past.

jake13jake
03-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Can I add a plea for the type 1 tileset to be fixed so that you can lift signs, pot, stones, bushes, etc. like on a type 0 tileset?

G_yoshi
03-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Can I add a plea for the type 1 tileset to be fixed so that you can lift signs, pot, stones, bushes, etc. like on a type 0 tileset?

Have you checked all the locations on the type1 definition? I'm sure its there if you look :p

zell12
03-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't know what you're talking about with this filetype 1 and 0

G_yoshi
03-07-2004, 01:48 AM
I don't know what you're talking about with this filetype 1 and 0

filetype?

Do you never bother to read the newfeatures200X.txt files?

addtiledef tilesetimage,levelstartname,type

tilesetimage - the .png format image for the tileset (example: pics1.png)
levelstartname - part of the level name or entire level name (example: part of levelname - dk_ | levelname - dk_house_c-32.nw)
type - the tileset definition (example: type 0 is the default, type 1 is the new definition, type 5 is for terrain)

Please read before responding.

zell12
03-07-2004, 04:30 AM
I am responding to get help. I dont read the new features, I hardly play graal.

TB3
03-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Here is latest work on pics1 new order
I removed most all of the objects and im putting them in an objects graphix file

jake13jake
03-07-2004, 04:35 PM

Have you checked all the locations on the type1 definition? I'm sure its there if you look :p

Well... The map for the type1 tileset that TB3 is using is the one I used. When I use a type 1 tileset, only one flower dances when i put more than one dancing flower. You can't pick anything up, nope. You can slash a few things, but not even the same kind of things as if you used a type 0 tileset. Other things can be bombed, but they never grow back. Etc.

TB3
03-07-2004, 06:32 PM

Well... The map for the type1 tileset that TB3 is using is the one I used. When I use a type 1 tileset, only one flower dances when i put more than one dancing flower. You can't pick anything up, nope. You can slash a few things, but not even the same kind of things as if you used a type 0 tileset. Other things can be bombed, but they never grow back. Etc.
I have the same problem its wierd and using some of the animated tiles shows a different animate section tile but just doesnt show it actualy animated

jake13jake
03-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by TB3

I have the same problem its wierd and using some of the animated tiles shows a different animate section tile but just doesnt show it actualy animated
yea, exactly. I think the tilemap idea would be very good, though.
Somewhat Originally posted by jake13jake (bullets didn't carry over through clipboard)

Tileset Maps Idea-

You assign a specific color using RGB (or possibly hex) to each type of tile in a text file. (wall,grass,swamp,etc.)

You can make new tile types in the text file, that can be read through vars in Graal.

You make a map of how you want your tileset to be read using the colors that determine how it's read.

Ex. for the txt file:
[123,123,123,wall]
[124,124,124,swamp]
[125,125,125,newwall1]

Then in Graal you could put (something like):
if (playerontile(newwall1)){
hurt 1;
}
Expanding on Layers Idea-

Add a dropdown menu in the level editor for tile layer.

You have a set of layers, the lowest layer being 0.

When you make a new layer you set a z value to the layer.

A layer higher than 0 can have areas without tiles.

G_yoshi
03-07-2004, 11:35 PM

Its probably better that you script that stuff anyway :p

jake13jake
03-08-2004, 03:00 AM

Its probably better that you script that stuff anyway :p
so, let's make a to-do list:
[list=1]
script swamp tiles
script pots
script signs
script blue stones
script black stones
script flowers
[/list=1]
But that's like... wierd... I don't get the BOARD script stuff.

TB3
03-08-2004, 07:59 AM

so, let's make a to-do list:
[list=1]
script swamp tiles
script pots
script signs
script blue stones
script black stones
script flowers
[/list=1]
But that's like... wierd... I don't get the BOARD script stuff.
For the flowers make an animated image and tiledef2 over top of the old ones ;)
The other stuff will take some time

jake13jake
03-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by TB3

For the flowers make an animated image and tiledef2 over top of the old ones ;)
The other stuff will take some time
With the line "canbecarried," it would be very simple to make NPC versions of the stones, signs, and pots... except it wouldn't follow the conditions for carrying stones, pots, etc. Somebody really ought to change the carry gani so that the object being carried is a gani attribute. That way it would be much easier to check for what's being carried.

TB3
03-08-2004, 08:35 PM

With the line "canbecarried," it would be very simple to make NPC versions of the stones, signs, and pots... except it wouldn't follow the conditions for carrying stones, pots, etc. Somebody really ought to change the carry gani so that the object being carried is a gani attribute. That way it would be much easier to check for what's being carried.
looking at my carry gani someone allready did attr3

jake13jake
03-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by TB3

looking at my carry gani someone allready did attr3
I can't look right now, but if they did, nifty.

WanDaMan
03-09-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm amazed how fast you've done this.. :O
I like it :)