PDA

View Full Version : exportable variables


MrGannondorf
02-15-2004, 05:34 AM
I think it would be fun if some in-game variables (like ap) could be read(and only read) by other aplications...

This would make room for people to develope some fun 3rd party programs for graal (ie, a program that tells you how much time you have left untill you reach 100 ap, based on your current amount).

Also, it might be intresting if the variables that could be exported were defined in the server options.

URBANLEGEND
02-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by MrGannondorf
I think it would be fun if some in-game variables (like ap) could be read(and only read) by other aplications...

This would make room for people to develope some fun 3rd party programs for graal (ie, a program that tells you how much time you have left untill you reach 100 ap, based on your current amount).

Also, it might be intresting if the variables that could be exported were defined in the server options.

People made those, they're called trainers.

MrGannondorf
02-15-2004, 11:54 PM
nono, you have the wrong idea. Its not making it so the programs can influence (import data into) the client, its so they can view data from the client. Its not so people can add onto the game, its so they can use values from in game on other programs (ie, make it so it displays my stats on my website, etc).

I'm not saying they should make it easier to hack.

jake13jake
02-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by MrGannondorf
nono, you have the wrong idea. Its not making it so the programs can influence (import data into) the client, its so they can view data from the client. Its not so people can add onto the game, its so they can use values from in game on other programs (ie, make it so it displays my stats on my website, etc).

I'm not saying they should make it easier to hack.

*thinks about how that could be possible*
*pauses*
*thinks some more*
*is thinking of how he's such an idiot for roleplaying on the forums*
*pauses*
*thinks more about how that could be possible*
*is baffled*
*thinks it's a good idea, but doesn't understand the basis of how it would happen*

ZeLpH_MyStiK
02-16-2004, 07:25 PM
I do believe you have to pay Graal for making those because of the copyrights and stuff...

jake13jake
02-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ZeLpH_MyStiK
I do believe you have to pay Graal for making those because of the copyrights and stuff...
Wow, that's an even better idea!!! I'd love to spend money to do something like this :D!!!

R0bin
02-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Or perhaps stefan could code a DDE server so you could get the variables from there...


Or if you were a real coder, find the memory addresses yourself.

G_yoshi
02-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by MrGannondorf
I think it would be fun if some in-game variables (like ap) could be read(and only read) by other aplications...

This would make room for people to develope some fun 3rd party programs for graal (ie, a program that tells you how much time you have left untill you reach 100 ap, based on your current amount).

Also, it might be intresting if the variables that could be exported were defined in the server options.

Long ago before Graal 2001 was released, the old Graal Online page had a section that showed player stats (that pertained only to the main server we know as classic). I remember someone saying how it was done, but that was a long time ago. I think Galen might know? I seem to think he is connected to it...somehow.

ZeLpH_MyStiK
02-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by jake13jake

Wow, that's an even better idea!!! I'd love to spend money to do something like this :D!!!
It's not an idea, it's a fact...-.-

jake13jake
02-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ZeLpH_MyStiK

It's not an idea, it's a fact...-.-

I was being sarcastic...-.-

MrGannondorf
02-17-2004, 11:18 PM
I think it would be possible (afterall the client can communicate with the os and gserver, and those are separate programs, afterall), actualy its more like, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

As for copyrights, I highly doubt one would have to pay gO (gO standing for "graal online") for making a program that does spiffy stuff from reading game variables*. My reason for saying this is that gO doesn't have to pay microsoft and apple for making a program that uses their operating system.



*hell, if you knew something about hacking hex like they do with trainers, you probably could make such a program for reading game variables right now without graal intending it to happen... but I don't know a thing about hex hacking (other than on the gameboy ^^) so I sugest this modification to the game ^^ only my idea is for reading stuff, no writing.

ZeLpH_MyStiK
02-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Except in this case, you're not using Graal, you're developing off of Graal...

MrGannondorf
02-18-2004, 12:49 AM
naw, the program wouldn't be running in graal, nor would I have used the client to make it. It would just be using variables generated by the client.

ZeLpH_MyStiK
02-18-2004, 02:33 AM
It's still building on Graal because it's based on Graal. Without Graal there wouldn't be such a thing.

G_yoshi
02-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by MrGannondorf
I think it would be possible (afterall the client can communicate with the os and gserver, and those are separate programs, afterall), actualy its more like, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

As for copyrights, I highly doubt one would have to pay gO (gO standing for "graal online") for making a program that does spiffy stuff from reading game variables*. My reason for saying this is that gO doesn't have to pay microsoft and apple for making a program that uses their operating system.



*hell, if you knew something about hacking hex like they do with trainers, you probably could make such a program for reading game variables right now without graal intending it to happen... but I don't know a thing about hex hacking (other than on the gameboy ^^) so I sugest this modification to the game ^^ only my idea is for reading stuff, no writing.

Chances of something like this happening are dependant upon Stefan et al. And, most likely, it will remain within Graal. I think the only thing that Unixmad allows to opperate stats outside of Graal would be Rick's Graal.us. But all it shows are server stats not player stats. I think it would be very risky to let a 3rd party have access to what is being requested here.

Qwert616
02-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by G_yoshi


Chances of something like this happening are dependant upon Stefan et al. And, most likely, it will remain within Graal. I think the only thing that Unixmad allows to opperate stats outside of Graal would be Rick's Graal.us. But all it shows are server stats not player stats. I think it would be very risky to let a 3rd party have access to what is being requested here.

What is so risky about read only values?

G_yoshi
02-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Qwert616


What is so risky about read only values?

Depending upon what or how its done it could also send out the variable/string name. But I suppose only enabling such a thing for NPC servers only would be alright since there is some protection that is gauranteed.

TB3
02-26-2004, 06:50 AM
It would be nice if saveinfo worked and could be read by homepages so that info like current player count or current news could be shown on a pw's home page routed by a graalonline server.
Just an idea