PDA

View Full Version : One-Player Levels

jake13jake
01-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Would it be possible to make it so there's no trace of any other player within certain levels? If not I'll probably add this to the suggestion forum. It would be good to be able to do for quest levels and trying to build a storyline. It would even make scripting certain things a bit easier, you wouldn't have to script serverside motion as often.

Sorry that I haven't though in-depth about this subject before posting. I figure noplayerkilling, disablefeatures a few features... but I wouldn't quite understand how I could get a player to work if I disabled the player.

Thought
01-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Maybe sneaky use of copylevel, but that would generate many copies of levels... hmm.

Python523
01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Thought
Maybe sneaky use of copylevel, but that would generate many copies of levels... hmm.

delete the level on playerleaves

Hevaricubed
01-11-2004, 07:48 PM
playerleaves doesnt trigger on disconnect

Blue_Dragn
01-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jake13jake
Would it be possible to make it so there's no trace of any other player within certain levels? If not I'll probably add this to the suggestion forum. It would be good to be able to do for quest levels and trying to build a storyline. It would even make scripting certain things a bit easier, you wouldn't have to script serverside motion as often.

Sorry that I haven't though in-depth about this subject before posting. I figure noplayerkilling, disablefeatures a few features... but I wouldn't quite understand how I could get a player to work if I disabled the player.

why couldnt you do playerscount==1

SL did that for their intro, and put people in a waiting room if the level was in use. Even though they did that, i still waited for the intro.

The Method is crude but no other players could enter if you warped them somewhere else upon entering

GoZelda
01-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Hm...
You could display NPC's instead of the player, and these NPC's are clientside :\

jake13jake
01-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Dragn

why couldnt you do playerscount==1

SL did that for their intro, and put people in a waiting room if the level was in use. Even though they did that, i still waited for the intro.

The Method is crude but no other players could enter if you warped them somewhere else upon entering
-Just like i thought-
Every proposed way has its own problems.
Off to Future Improvements forum----

jake13jake
01-12-2004, 12:08 AM
I think the idea of one-player quests would greatly improve questing. Especially in the sense of protection from lamers and the quality of NPC movement. Making copies of levels, or making every player into a clientside NPC would be ridiculous. As would making it so only one player can enter the level at a time (as with the SL intro). I think that if there was the ability to hide other players based on conditions, it could make quests a lot funner. I say conditions, because you might not want to hide a FAQ from a newb running through a quest and who can't figure things out for him/herself, and who doesn't know how to explain the problem that he/she has encountered.

-Ramirez-
01-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Yes, this could be extremely useful in situations where you want players to do quests solely on their own without other players disturbing them in any way. Mainly like a way to create a temporary copy of a level in every aspect... then have it deleted when that player leaves.

DustyPorViva
01-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Maybe try hiding the player and using showani at the players coordinates at an index of 200 or higher?

jake13jake
01-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by DustyPorViva
Maybe try hiding the player and using showani at the players coordinates at a layer 200 or higher?
well, you just got me confused.

Hevaricubed
01-12-2004, 02:15 AM
//#CLIENTSIDE
if (created||timeout) {
showstats allstats-1024;
showani2 201,playerx,playery,playerz,playerdir,#m,;
timeout=0.05;
}

DustyPorViva
I meant index of 200 and above.

G_yoshi
Or you have an NPC that is inside the first level of this quest that remembers the first person to enter and kicks out all others as well as puts up a "road block" outside the entrance :p

Its not that hard to find ways of making single-player quests if you really wanted to.

I know its a generic idea as I left out other things that would be needed :)

Loriel
01-12-2004, 02:20 AM
I figure the copylevel way is the best.
By default, send everybody to level 1. On playerenters, if there are two players, send the new one to level 2 and create that if neccessary. Repeat.

Hevaricubed
01-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by DustyPorViva
I meant index of 200 and above.

like R0bin has just posted, wake up people.

my way works..

Thought
01-12-2004, 08:56 PM
The copylevel idea would work well if Stefan implemented an option to expire levels that havn't had players in them for awhile. (expire = delete.)

Loriel
01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Would work anyway since we are not ever getting an amount of levels > playerscount, which is not that exagerrative. We might delete levels by hand from time to time, or even have an NPC do that.

jake13jake
01-15-2004, 12:32 AM
I don't know. I've been thinking about it with great thought. Heviricubed (sp?) said that maybe you could do it so that you disable the player feature from enablefeatures and then put a clientside npc of the player. That could be extremely difficult though, I would think. Having to make a clientside version of everything that does something serverside...

Hevaricubed
01-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Ok wtf?

Im sure there is a rule against that

jake13jake
01-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Hevaricubed
Ok wtf?

Im sure there is a rule against that

The one in the NPC scripting section is trying to figure out whether or not there was a way to do a one player online level... Nobody could come up with anything good (this was before hevaricubed's post), so I posted it here as a possible future improvement. The concept of the posts are different and I stand behind that.

Dach
01-16-2004, 12:22 AM
couldn't copylevel do what you're asking?

Edit: NM, that seems to have been covered in the scripting forums' version of this topic which I just looked over...
what the flip? copylevel wasn't in my commands.rtf?!

Thought
01-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Dach
couldn't copylevel do what you're asking?

Edit: NM, that seems to have been covered in the scripting forums' version of this topic which I just looked over...
what the flip? copylevel wasn't in my commands.rtf?!
Read your newfeatures####.txt! :p

jake13jake
01-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Thank you to whoever merged the posts.

Anyways, hevaricubed... I ran into several problems trying showani... The animation gets stuck in the first frame, and you can't see what's being carried... Now, if I tried setcharani, the major problem I run into is that the NPC keeps whacking the player with his sword.... what to do?

--yea... that is an easy question, make conditions not to use the sword ani.... but now, finding a non-hurting version of the sword ani......

--Wait, I'm beginning to think that setani has the same problems showani had x,x... hmmm......

--back to showani, but now i'm stuck on the problem that it only shows the first frame of animations and you can't see what you carry... any ideas anyone? --next i have to see how i would get it to work online.

jake13jake
01-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm using showani and setting player props under a timeout. I haven't even tested online yet, it's so bad.
Problems I'm having (offline):
-Uses only the first frame of the animations for hurt and sword
-Leaves out the bow image when you fire the bow.
-Doesn't read to carry what the player is carrying.
-Doesn't read what type of land tile the player is standing on (ex. shallow water and swamp tiles are read like normal grass tiles)
-Etc.
-Pfft... I don't want to have to rescript the entire player into a keydown NPC.
-Etc.

It would be much easier if there was just a way to disable being able to see other players. You wouldn't have to worry about having to run into them if you put noplayerkilling.

I'm sure that clientside spawns of weapons could be made. Is there a possible way to check to see whether or not a feature is enabled? I don't think there is. It would also be easier to rescript weapons for this feature if you could check in their scripts whether or not the proposed feature is enabled.