PDA

View Full Version : rotate focus

jake13jake
01-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Everybody's talking about image rotation... (which is DEFINATELY more efficiently done using sprites or animations)... but what about something that could provide some really crazy effects, like focus rotation... it could be used in drunken NPCs, dizzy NPCs, whirlpool NPCs... heck... even warp ring NPCs! That and it's something you cant do with sprites.

Kristi
01-11-2004, 12:50 PM
and you said rotating a graphic would be inefficient... only beefy comps would be able to handle rotating the entire thing =p

Thought
01-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Kristi
and you said rotating a graphic would be inefficient... only beefy comps would be able to handle rotating the entire thing =p
Not in Graal v3, as i'm sure the game is drawn via polies in OpenGL / DirectX.

jake13jake
01-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Kristi
yea, lol, but still, by rotateimg being inefficient, i mean that it shouldn't really be used because it wouldn't allow for the right kind of virtual Z angle. (ex. when you tile a house using normal house tiles, would you be able to see the back of it?)

I especially hate the couch rotation gfx. they should all be facing downwards on the level. Not up, nor left, nor right.

Hevaricubed
01-11-2004, 11:42 PM
if there is a new command called rotateimg in v3, since v3 uses better code, and directx and opengl use the graphics card to rotate the image, and not winblows, it would totally effcient, if you can call rotating and image ineffcient at all.

Loriel
01-12-2004, 12:02 AM
You could just write an NPC to virtually redraw the game using lots of 1 pixel showimgs and then use trigonometry to rotate stuff... ?

jake13jake
01-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Loriel
You could just write an NPC to virtually redraw the game using lots of 1 pixel showimgs and then use trigonometry to rotate stuff... ?

1. How would you test for 4096 tiles, and all of the other players, and NPCs in the level?
2. In any sense, how would 1,048,576 pixels (number of pixels in a graal level... I think) react to all being broken down into showimgs at the same time?

-Ramirez-
01-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Loriel
Have you ever displayed over 200 or so polygons? It's very laggy... even for people with very high-end PCs.

marcoR
01-12-2004, 12:29 AM
(when done in graal)

-Ramirez-
01-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by marcoR
(when done in graal)
(No... I thought it was done in Windows Explorer.)

Hevaricubed
01-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by jake13jake

1. How would you test for 4096 tiles, and all of the other players, and NPCs in the level?
2. In any sense, how would 1,048,576 pixels (number of pixels in a graal level... I think) react to all being broken down into showimgs at the same time?

I do believe loriel was mocking you, sir.

Loriel
01-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Ah, I forgot about you people without quantum computers :D

Hevaricubed
01-12-2004, 06:00 PM
mmmm.. quantum....

jake13jake
01-15-2004, 12:33 AM
that "mmmmmm..." makes me feel hungry :(

vigilant_death2
01-16-2004, 04:17 AM
my quantam computer broke... now im stuck with a dell x.x

jake13jake
01-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by vigilant_death2
my quantam computer broke... now im stuck with a dell x.x

I'm stuck with a Dell and an Alienware... the Dell is a crap POS with a Pentium 3... and my Alienware is a CELERON... which actually runs really good, until it comes to sound, of course, but I don't really care about sound as long as WMP works well, as it does... I also have a creative lab bay in the front that I hooked my stereo system up to... I just figured out how i could get it to work like last week... Now I just need to find out how to get the remote that goes with my computer to work... hmmm...

on my wishlist (I'm too lazy to pay for myself): digital camera, cell phone, tv tuner card, sword of mana (looks good), legal versions of office 2003, photoshop 7.0, and a prog that will let me burn rented DVDs from Blockbuster.