PDA

View Full Version : Dustari

Zurkiba
12-05-2003, 02:12 AM
Which do you think Dustari Takes after?

Lets see if you know which nation dustari resembles.

GryffonDurime
12-05-2003, 02:18 AM
There is no "right" answer Zurkiba.

Zurkiba
12-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by GryffonDurime
There is no "right" answer Zurkiba.
One key title gives it away

GryffonDurime
12-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Zurkiba

One key title gives it away

Oh but Zurkiba, you seem to forget that the universe in which we live is constantly redefined by our perceptions, thus proving that nothing in itself can be an absolute. You asked which Dustari "most" takes after. However, since each of your provided answers shares commonalities with Dustari, there is no right answer because each answer can be correct given it is answered by someone who perceives it to be so.

Desolator12
12-05-2003, 04:17 AM
@[email protected]
but since it takes after a kingdom of olde tymes, i'd prolly say not england (though i voted for it) but Anglo Saxon...

and what you're saying is if it takes after a country, if we were to create a character like us in every way and have it meet us in the game(say some magical energies transported it to era :p), he would appear in front of me and create a paradox that would destory the time-space continum!

god I love this kind of thing...

also, if stefan were to add forts in the next update, it would create a paradox that would destory the time-space continum as well :\

FenixTheBanished
12-05-2003, 06:16 AM
If I can relate Dustari to any country, it would ahve to be France between the 15th and 18th century, because of their relentless grip on which they hold upon their kingdom. Tseng is like Louis XVI and Zoe and Padren are Louis XIV, they must assume total control of the activities that happen in Dustari, even the ways the speak to one another. That kingdom is more of a Absolutism then a Democracy, they presume total control.

Thats my outlook on it. I say France.

Satrek2000
12-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Lets see. Most countries have quite a "busy" history, and most didn't exist the way they do now - wars, teritorial exchanges, alliances etc all shaped them. In my opinion, Dustari is set somewhere in the middle ages. That could be Germany as well as France, England or Italy, even Byzantine. Also, I don't see how pinpointing Dustari on any of these would help anyone. The "spirit" of it is known, as far as I can tell, and is displayed in it's design, so limiting it to any one country would only cut the picture, not enlarge it.

Borgie
12-05-2003, 05:04 PM
England and germany would both fit... in my oppinion

FenixTheBanished
12-06-2003, 04:16 AM
They are French I tell you FRENCH! They just haven't gone throught the "Great Terror" or the Revolution yet, it will come.

busyrobot
12-06-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by FenixTheBanished
If I can relate Dustari to any country, it would ahve to be France between the 15th and 18th century, because of their relentless grip on which they hold upon their kingdom. Tseng is like Louis XVI and Zoe and Padren are Louis XIV, they must assume total control of the activities that happen in Dustari, even the ways the speak to one another. That kingdom is more of a Absolutism then a Democracy, they presume total control.

Thats my outlook on it. I say France.

We are more free than most other gk kingdoms actually, what is so oppressive - that we dont' want people to double up houses in the crowded area around Borea? :rolleyes:

This wasn't supposed to be a Rant Thread, but I can't help to noticed you didn't even use one example in your post.

'even the ways the speak to one another' ??
Do you mean, that *gasp*, we ask people to please rp on tag or something?

You should spend a good 5 minutes in a kingdom under Zurkiba, though I doubt you would last the full five.

...I saywe are most like England, perhaps the time of the Saxons, our houses don't look like anything the Normans would have built.

The Cathedral and such makes us lean towards almost France, if we add more cultural elements, we may end up leaning more that way overall, or as a general hybrid, which would be fine by me.

Splke
12-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by busyrobot

We are more free than most other gk kingdoms actually, what is so oppressive - that we dont' want people to double up houses in the crowded area around Borea? :rolleyes:

This wasn't supposed to be a Rant Thread, but I can't help to noticed you didn't even use one example in your post.

'even the ways the speak to one another' ??
Do you mean, that *gasp*, we ask people to please rp on tag or something?

You should spend a good 5 minutes in a kingdom under Zurkiba, though I doubt you would last the full five.

...I saywe are most like England, perhaps the time of the Saxons, our houses don't look like anything the Normans would have built.

The Cathedral and such makes us lean towards almost France, if we add more cultural elements, we may end up leaning more that way overall, or as a general hybrid, which would be fine by me.

Lmao, Padren is moody *nods*... He was simply expressing his opinion, and by you even posting what you did you are now considered a flamer... so, uhh, welcome to the flamers *coughs* OK.. anyways...

When I was in Dustari, god save me, I didnt see alot of "RPing" I saw alot of asskissing and picnics... yea, picnics, **** if I know why but you guys sure do like the great ol' outdoors o.o

Uhh, There is no kingdom that RP's, perhaps if you were being stuck-up enough to say you, Tseng, and Zoe were the kingdom, then yeah, you'd have an RP kingdom, but the fact is you have a "Authur De Camilot" or something person in your kingdom who doesnt know how to RP, and when he tries he sounds like a old drunkard who's trying to speak Old English.. ;o

At any rate.. Best way to RP is to Join forest, and slowly but surely go insane from being the only person on-tag, then finally realize it's O.K. and write 28 page RP stories and such... o.o If somebody happens to _want_ to RP with you then jump for freakin joy then pray they know how too... :o

anywhom... i learn towards... ROME.. no uhh.. England or France I spose... ;o

FenixTheBanished
12-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Padren, everyone knows how you almost force every and I mean every single guild member into RPing wether they like it or not, or if not they HAVE to use OOC brackets. That is a absolutism government, wether you believe it or not, Zoe and you practically run Dustari, and in that effect you rule supreme and thats why many people have left Dustari. You guys aren't flexible and you let any new person to the game in.

Thats the worst thing about all the kingdoms, except Forest, they recruit ANY and do not require them to do acts of loyality nor is there any entrance exam concering their knowledge of the game or of RPing. The only Kingdom that does that is Forest and thats why everyone wants to join Forest, because we are the only real RPing guild, wether right now Forest is "dead" or not.

-FenixTheBanished

P.S. And Dustari is France under the rule of Louis XIV and the time of absolutism in the monarchy...

Khallos_2k2
12-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Uuuuh...People....Understand this:
Graal just so happens to be classed as a MMORPG, which means,Massive multiplayer online ROLEPLAYING game. Hey look, it says roleplaying, guess why?
Graal Kingdoms is MEANT to be a ROLEPLAYING game, but some people just come on it to PK and flame others. Not picking on them, thats the way they wanna have fun, i dont mind that much.
Padren helps to run Dustari-just a wild guess here, but could it be because he just happens, by complete coincidence,to be the prince? Padren doesnt force other people, he ASKS other people to RP while they're on tag. He's one of fairest rulers ive seen, if not THE fairest.
Kingdoms are for RPing in. If you join a Kingdom, you're meant to
RP in it- did you just join one to be cool or something?
He lets any people new to the game-um...i think not. He takes someone who shows promise, teaches/helps them to RP, and then asks them to RP on tag.

Dustari is meant to be the typical sprawling empire, lots of peasants, knghts having jousts etc, like the people in the film "A Knight's Tale". I think its like England, possibly in the time of the Saxons

Zurkiba
12-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Khallos... you need to add -General Patton to the end of your quote.

And Padren... you said that Forest was still trying to make up for what I've done.

Thats the worst thing about all the kingdoms, except Forest, they recruit ANY and do not require them to do acts of loyality nor is there any entrance exam concering their knowledge of the game or of RPing. The only Kingdom that does that is Forest and thats why everyone wants to join Forest, because we are the only real RPing guild, wether right now Forest is "dead" or not.

It seems as if my rulings are still in place.

You must remember that Forest doesn't hate me... or they're in some type of turmoil due to Astri. I was a founding father of Forest, Brad and myself invented the first forms of Forest. Chris just altered it to be Elven only. As a matter of fact... I became King of Forest again after the fall of Astri.

Forest would've been cooler with Abezorths though. The Elven and the Abezorths.

Satrek2000
12-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Padren, everyone knows how you almost force every and I mean every single guild member into RPing wether they like it or not, or if not they HAVE to use OOC brackets.

It's a rule so people know when someone is rping - it helps those who rp and doesn't overly punish those who don't.

Khallos_2k2
12-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Khallos... you need to add -General Patton to the end of your quote..

Uh....Thanks...
Anyway, Zurk was an OK ruler.

busyrobot
12-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Padren, everyone knows how you almost force every and I mean every single guild member into RPing wether they like it or not, or if not they HAVE to use OOC brackets.

So your attack on me is based on the fact that I try to keep Dustari an rping kingdom??

Are you saying in Forest, people don't have to rp and can talk ooc without ((ooc brackets))?

Forest is an rp kingdom as well, I hardly suspect Chris would agree with you in your opinions on why you find me so tyrannical.

busyrobot
12-06-2003, 08:58 PM
And Padren... you said that Forest was still trying to make up for what I've done.

You still ran Forest with an iron hand, and if someone under you're command was slandering another kingdom for 'enforcing rp rules' I bet you'd have a word or two with them.

I meant that comment actually in respect.
When it comes to Forest, I did say they were still recovering, but that was a long time ago, I think that Forest is doing fine these days.

Khallos_2k2
12-06-2003, 09:28 PM

So your attack on me is based on the fact that I try to keep Dustari an rping kingdom??

If this is true, its a pretty lame attack.
People complain when kingdoms dont RP, and attack leaders when they try to make them.

foxyrain
12-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Khallos_2k2

If this is true, its a pretty lame attack.
People complain when kingdoms dont RP, and attack leaders when they try to make them.

Yes indeed......anything for a good verbal attack. If we all used our intelligence to build, rather than destroy, imagine what we would have then. PURE EXCELLENCE.

;)

GoZelda
12-08-2003, 07:55 PM
I've chosen England, but now i come to think of it, France is better. England conquered everyone, but France got conquered all the time and allied with everyone o.O Dustari only isn't getting conquered >.> (yet)

foxyrain
12-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by GoZelda
I've chosen England, but now i come to think of it, France is better. England conquered everyone, but France got conquered all the time and allied with everyone o.O Dustari only isn't getting conquered >.> (yet)

Bah .... calm yourself down, you're just upset because you haven't accepted your mistakes >.> ( yet )

:o

Zoe Sagesun Nightrose

GoZelda
12-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Erm, no. Everybody thinks

OMG KNIGHTS WTF KING ARTHUR -> ENGLAND! EXCALIBUR! or WTF IRELAND OMIGAWD LOTR WTF LOL
But France was much more knight-like.

Zurkiba
12-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Incorrect... You're basing your acusations on WWII France.

France is acually war-like. And England never conquered anyone, except the Celtics.

I mean lets look at everything France has conquered

Mideval Europe Era - France Conquers England
Renaissance Era - France Conquers some Arabian Nations, Conquers Midwest America
Napoleanic Era - France Conquers Most of Europe

Lets have a look at what England has conquered

Mideval Europe - Celtics and Welch
Renaissance - Conquers Eastern Native Americans, Some Arabian Nations
Napoleanic Era - Kills Napolean's Army, No conquests

So yeah.

Khallos_2k2
12-09-2003, 01:14 AM

Err...to my knowledge, France never conquered England..

Zurkiba
12-09-2003, 03:46 AM

Err...to my knowledge, France never conquered England..
Ever hear of the Normans?

William the Conquerer

End of the Anglo-Saxon Homes

FenixTheBanished
12-09-2003, 08:57 AM

Are you saying in Forest, people don't have to rp and can talk ooc without ((ooc brackets))?

Forest is an rp kingdom as well, I hardly suspect Chris would agree with you in your opinions on why you find me so tyrannical.

Dude, Forest isn't even alive right now, so therefore you cannot compare it to an RPing kingdom because there really isn't a kingdom to RP to.

And I hardly see why you always go to the "Chris" ploy, are you that desperate or should I show the, what, like 10 other "Chris" ploys that you try to pull on me, or do you just not realize that Chris doesn't control what I say or do, thus even adding to the fact that you like to _control_ things.

Retarded...

-FenixTheBanished

Satrek2000
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Retarded...

Is it me or do you like to take a dive toward insulting others in your posts?

GoZelda
12-09-2003, 08:30 PM

Incorrect... You're basing your acusations on WWII France.

France is acually war-like. And England never conquered anyone, except the Celtics.

I mean lets look at everything France has conquered

Renaissance Era - France Conquers some Arabian Nations, Conquers Midwest America
Napoleanic Era - France Conquers Most of Europe

Lets have a look at what England has conquered

Mideval Europe - Celtics and Welch
Renaissance - Conquers Eastern Native Americans, Some Arabian Nations
Napoleanic Era - Kills Napolean's Army, No conquests

So yeah.
So, if England never conqured anything of France, Joanne d'Arc just was a show-off? And Bertrand du Guesclin too? :\
By the way, England was, or so they say, the biggest empire known. They had half of america, some of of Azia and arabia, and Africa too.

Satrek2000
12-09-2003, 09:32 PM
By the way, England was, or so they say, the biggest empire known. They had half of america, some of of Azia and arabia, and Africa too.

Depends on the time you want to settle with - almost every country in europe had colonies - the british, being an island, had an advantage as far was seafaring was concerned. The Commonwealth also suggests something in that respect.

Zurkiba
12-10-2003, 01:02 AM

So, if England never conqured anything of France, Joanne d'Arc just was a show-off? And Bertrand du Guesclin too? :\
Ah... but the British Empire you speak of is one reformed by the French :)

But here it goes...

A single title acually defines the area that Dustari takes after. And that is France. England doesn't have Dukes, they have Earls :)

Thanks for playing

GoZelda
12-10-2003, 11:45 PM

Thanks for playing
But why do they still speak English, and not French :\ ?

Hey, n/p for playing. Gimme cash though. Plz.

Satrek2000
12-11-2003, 12:48 AM
A single title acually defines the area that Dustari takes after. And that is France. England doesn't have Dukes, they have Earls

Then where do the Duke of York, the Duke of Edinburgh and those of Gloucester and Kent come from? Sure, the title might be of french origin, but both England as well as France have the title of Duke (Duc). Also, I wouldn't say a kingdom takes after a certain country only based on one of so many titles...

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-12-2003, 03:57 AM
Padren, everyone knows how you almost force every and I mean every single guild member into RPing wether they like it or not, or if not they HAVE to use OOC brackets. That is a absolutism government, wether you believe it or not, Zoe and you practically run Dustari, and in that effect you rule supreme and thats why many people have left Dustari. You guys aren't flexible and you let any new person to the game in.

-FenixTheBanished

P.S. And Dustari is France under the rule of Louis XIV and the time of absolutism in the monarchy...

Will you just shuttup with your stupidity already? Trying to promote, and even enforce (We should all be made to roleplay or get kicked out of our kingdoms, IMHO) roleplaying is a GOOD thing, it makes padren a better leader rather than a worse one. You say "whether they like it or not" - this is the most stupid thing i've heard in the past half an hour. Roleplaying is promoted and encouraged in most of the kingdoms, especially dustari, and members that are joining should be aware of this fact. If they don't want to roleplay, why the hell are they in dustari. Have you even spoken to any of the dustari members that are under this supposedly tyrranical rule? Can you give names and quotes of the people who are unhappy with dustari and other kingdoms encouraging roleplay (IF THESE PEOPLE EVEN EXIST, WHICH I DOUBT...AND HOPE AGAINST :mad: )??

Zurkiba
12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Monkeyboy_McGee

Will you just shuttup with your stupidity already? Trying to promote, and even enforce (We should all be made to roleplay or get kicked out of our kingdoms, IMHO) roleplaying is a GOOD thing, it makes padren a better leader rather than a worse one. You say "whether they like it or not" - this is the most stupid thing i've heard in the past half an hour. Roleplaying is promoted and encouraged in most of the kingdoms, especially dustari, and members that are joining should be aware of this fact. If they don't want to roleplay, why the hell are they in dustari. Have you even spoken to any of the dustari members that are under this supposedly tyrranical rule? Can you give names and quotes of the people who are unhappy with dustari and other kingdoms encouraging roleplay (IF THESE PEOPLE EVEN EXIST, WHICH I DOUBT...AND HOPE AGAINST :mad: )??
Tyranny isn't bad for Graal... nor do the members dislike it. Astri was an Imperial Tyranny :). And we was the most happy kingdom.

Borgie
12-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Absolutely :)
There is a difference between tyranny and rp-tyranny, wich can actually be fun, same with corruption...
It makes kingdoms more realistic and might add some challenge

Khallos_2k2
12-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Satrek2000

Sure, the title might be of french origin, but both England as well as France have the title of Duke (Duc).

I believe that the word "Duke" originally came from the Latin word "Dux", meaning "Leader"

Satrek2000
12-14-2003, 02:18 AM
I believe that the word "Duke" originally came from the Latin word "Dux", meaning "Leader"

I don't disagree - but that'd mean Duke and Duc have the same lingual roots, not that Duke originates from Duke - i.e. no clue for Dustari's origin.

Borgie
12-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Maybe latin is the key... Dustari could be Rome
Like Rome took over Europe (most of europe) Dustari might take over the graal world...
Also, their building style looks a bit... roman :megaeek:

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-14-2003, 03:54 PM
And maybe...now, this is just a bit of guesswork, here...but MAYBE, just MAYBE....Dustari is a made-up nation on some fictional game created for Role-playing. ie making stuff up and pretending to be/be part of something fictional (in most cases anyway :P ). So maybe, just maaayyybe, dustari has nothing to do with the real civilisations like england and france, and this thread has no real backup? o_o

Still a fun thread though :D

Satrek2000
12-14-2003, 04:45 PM
So maybe, just maaayyybe, dustari has nothing to do with the real civilisations like england and france, and this thread has no real backup?

No, that'd be too easy ;)

GoZelda
12-14-2003, 07:40 PM
And maybe...now, this is just a bit of guesswork, here...but MAYBE, just MAYBE....Dustari is a made-up nation on some fictional game created for Role-playing. ie making stuff up and pretending to be/be part of something fictional (in most cases anyway :P ). So maybe, just maaayyybe, dustari has nothing to do with the real civilisations like england and france, and this thread has no real backup? o_o

Still a fun thread though :D
It does. Dun wanna explain, but it does. :)

Isn't Rex leader? But hey, dude...

Latin -> French -> English. The French took the word Duc, then the English took it.

duke
A nobleman with the highest hereditary rank, especially a man of the highest grade of the peerage in Great Britain.
A sovereign prince who rules an independent duchy in some European countries.
Abbr. D. or Du. Used as the title for such a nobleman.
Slang. A fist. Often used in the plural: Put up your dukes!
Botany. A type of cherry intermediate between a sweet and a sour cherry.

intr.v. duked, duk·ing, dukes
To fight, especially with fists: duking it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French duc, from Latin dux, duc-, leader, from dcere, to lead; see deuk- in Indo-European Roots. N., sense 4, short for Duke of Yorks rhyming slang for forks, fingers.]

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-14-2003, 08:55 PM

Slang. A fist. Often used in the plural: Put up your dukes!

Lol, i love that saying.

Hey stefan, put up your dukes!

Khallos_2k2
12-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Isn't Rex leader?
No..Rex is King

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-14-2003, 09:12 PM

No..Rex is King

No...rex is the name of the dog down the road...

Damix2
12-14-2003, 10:52 PM

But here it goes...

A single title acually defines the area that Dustari takes after. And that is France. England doesn't have Dukes, they have Earls :)

Thanks for playing

I agree it takes after France, but I just said it has a more absolute government, well it seems like that at least, if it took after England, I guess we could see more of a constituionalism form of government, Germany wasnt really around during the middle ages, more Prussia/Austro-Hungarian Empire, but there forms of absolutism gave more powers to the nobles (though I do like how Prussia kept there nobles in check by keeping them in the army)

Zurkiba
12-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Damix2

I agree it takes after France, but I just said it has a more absolute government, well it seems like that at least, if it took after England, I guess we could see more of a constituionalism form of government, Germany wasnt really around during the middle ages, more Prussia/Austro-Hungarian Empire, but there forms of absolutism gave more powers to the nobles (though I do like how Prussia kept there nobles in check by keeping them in the army)
Germany was kind of there...

It was a group of divided states. Saying that it wasn't there at the time is like saying America isn't here because it's just a bunch of states.

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-16-2003, 02:43 PM

Germany was kind of there...

It was a group of divided states. Saying that it wasn't there at the time is like saying America isn't here because it's just a bunch of states.

America doesn't exist? Cool! Can the UK have all their moneys then? ^^

Edit: Oooh, just realised i have 101 posts. Senior member ^^

greeno
12-18-2003, 05:40 AM
I'm way too lazy to read through all your posts so ill just put my opinion: We Dustarians are like Switzerland, we dont do anything.
(well except for that war with samurai a little while ago...)

Satrek2000
12-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by greeno
We Dustarians are like Switzerland, we dont do anything.

But we don't remain neutral (see our alliances) and we don't stock up on other people's money and call it banks and number accounts ;)

As for Germany, sure there have been people living on the soil now known as Germany, and both linguistic and cultural roots can be found at all times, but I think it's too easy to say that Germany as it is has been there - it was a bunch of small states, with a local leader and own taxes and currencies each, a mess for any traveller. If we go even further back, you might encounter the roman empire in the bottom half, along with a neat Limes (similar to what Hadrian set up in Scotland). So, throughout history, I don't think you can have a single, set impresison of any of these forementioned countries. They changed through time, and so does Dustari.

Moonite
12-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Germany.... Like barbarians :p

Satrek2000
12-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Moonite
Germany.... Like barbarians :p

Historically speaking (and I'm walking about millenias ago), there were Barbarians all over europe, to one or another extend.

GoZelda
12-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Everyone was a barbarian, because barbarian means stranger x.x

Muha_builder
12-22-2003, 11:23 AM
seriously *shrughs* "fenix" person you clearly have no idea of how dustari works, comparing Zoe and Padren with Louis XIV is way out of line ,the mayority of dustari thinks we should use brackets so we as a collective decide we should use them zoe and padren dont force it upon us secondly they always ask for opinions on a matters,iam sure alot of other would agree with me if i said that they they are great people and great leaders.

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Don't even waste your text on him, dude. He's more stupid and ignorant than a whale in a picklejar (Mmm, i've always liked that metaphore).

GoZelda
12-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Don't even waste your text on him, dude. He's more stupid and ignorant than a whale in a picklejar (Mmm, i've always liked that metaphore).
Then he's very intelligent because he could create a device to make himself smaller !!!

Muha_builder
12-28-2003, 05:39 PM
*slaps gozelda*
or he just used a really large jar,or he is just a really small whale

Monkeyboy_McGee
12-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Think cartoon style whales and Acme brand glasses, k cyrin? :grin:

GoZelda
12-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Muha_builder
*slaps gozelda*
*slaps back*