PDA

View Full Version : One Sided Careers

Myloko
12-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Has anyone here noticed lately that Dustari is mostly Warriors/Knights and that there are barely any Mages/Sorcerers/Priests? Satrek and I noticed this the other day and I think that we have a problem here x_x

skyler87
12-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Myloko
Has anyone here noticed lately that Dustari is mostly Warriors/Knights and that there are barely any Mages/Sorcerers/Priests? Satrek and I noticed this the other day and I think that we have a problem here x_x
I don't think that it makes that big a difference, considering kingdoms never RP anymore in the first place. Just place everyone into one career: "PKer".
That way, the level of self-deception on GK will be drastically reduced.

Splke
12-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by skyler87

I don't think that it makes that big a difference, considering kingdoms never RP anymore in the first place. Just place everyone into one career: "PKer".
That way, the level of self-deception on GK will be drastically reduced.

No, Dustari = monopolization ... get it right man... :p

Zurkiba
12-05-2003, 01:52 AM
It's always been that way. It's how it is for all of the kingdoms.

Aftershock and myself were discussing the subject before 2k2 Dustari came out. We both came to the conclusion that the majority of the military would be simple militia and hold citizen jobs. Then in the heat of battle they would be called apon to fight with their pickaxes and lumberaxes.

It never came to be because I was in charge of organizing the militia but I left for Forest.

Butz
12-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I don't think we ever got another Archmage after Ed stopped doing it, I know Satrek is a High Mage, I'm the Aegis Mage, but as far as a general amount of mages, everyone wants to be the swordsman. I mean, come on...Sure, as mages we need swordsmen to take the front lines, but we're useless for support when there's only ummm....two of us?
Everybody wants to be the hero, nobody wants to be the support. :-/
I have no problem staying back and taking care of protection and long range attacking. It's easier to avoid getting stabbed that way...>.>

GoZelda
12-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Zormite got several mages. One of them couldn't use magic :whatever:

Satrek2000
12-05-2003, 03:56 PM
The point is, if you want to be strong (not to own, but to see an effect for what you did) you become a fighter. Spellcasters stand no chance against them, and in 9 of 10 cases a fighter will kill a spellcaster of a given level. The main problem is the time it takes to cast - a single hit disrupts the spell, so the fighter can just keep going while the spellcaster is "petrified." As far as I know, there's nothing to speed spells up, and that's in my opinion the greatest disadvantage. Why not make magic +x into magicspeed +x?
I'm not saying you need to be strong to rp. My point is that most people don't see the point in being mage or priest if any fighter can "own" them, so they just switch, be that rp-ish or not. Balance fighters and spellcasters, and not only will member numbers be more balanced, but you might just get some more rping. At least, you won't have less than you have now.

GoZelda
12-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Satrek2000
The point is, if you want to be strong (not to own, but to see an effect for what you did) you become a fighter. Spellcasters stand no chance against them, and in 9 of 10 cases a fighter will kill a spellcaster of a given level. The main problem is the time it takes to cast - a single hit disrupts the spell, so the fighter can just keep going while the spellcaster is "petrified." As far as I know, there's nothing to speed spells up, and that's in my opinion the greatest disadvantage. Why not make magic +x into magicspeed +x?
Note: I nearly killed a lvl.40. I'm lvl.28. She HEALED, i casted 3 bullets in meantime, but because she doesn't go sit down because i hit her with my axe, it's no use. :(

Khallos_2k2
12-05-2003, 09:28 PM
I agree with Satrek, the spells are quite slow, even though they have been made faster. Maybe players could go up in magicspeed as they go up magic levels, as everyone decreases their wc as they go up normal levels.
The problem of too little mages can't be solved easily; you can't force people into being mages, neither would it be fair to stop good-RPing warriors/barbs (if you can find any) coming into Dustari.
Im a warrior with about 42 spells/prayers, maybe we could have "Battle wizard" rank or something, to encourage warriors to "dabble" with spells.

GryffonDurime
12-06-2003, 01:23 AM
I think Spells should be made more integral to a battle- or at least speed spells up

MasterNuke
12-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Archmage Edwin Ękalis Sparlestreak was last seen in the Amelyn Peaks, a bright scinilating spectrum of colors filled the sky for a breif instant, no longer to be found on this plane. ((Meaning he went back to Arcanis Tix for those who have been following along))

Omni Mage(Edwin's former apprentice) Cadar Talega Wynsir was last seen on the west shore of Dustari. A nearby villager saw a strange and thick fog... then nothing more left of Cadar except his foot prints in the sand. ((He went west... into the sea...))

((
Reasons why?
1. It is a total pain to RP and keep up the dialect... It's either "Hmm." or a sentence that stretches across the screen.
2. Game issues.
3. I got tired of sitting on the high horse... for once I would like to have a simpler, funner time on Graal Kingdoms...

There are no mages because no one plays one... the game right now is bent toward Melee... second being Ranged(notice the lack of archers) and Prayers(lack of priests), and last... Magic(lack of mages) and Throwing(Lack of Spearmen/Pikemen/Halbardeers)... Magic system is crud and throwing weapons are close to pointless.

Back then when RPing was fun and things... It was because no one was super powerful (exp loss kept that in line) and things we're fun and new... conflict arose(thanks to the earlier kings ^.^)... and things happened.
))

Khallos_2k2
12-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Yes, but today's Kingdom Leaders are more pre-occupied with the idea of peace.

Zurkiba
12-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Khallos_2k2
Yes, but today's Kingdom Leaders are more pre-occupied with the idea of peace.
Peace sucks man...

There should always be a war going on. Because wars are the things that acually keep RPing alive.

GoZelda
12-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Why a war? Why not some spooooooky order who kills all? Or get rid of the PKers?

Khallos_2k2
12-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Zurkiba

Peace sucks man...

There should always be a war going on. Because wars are the things that acually keep RPing alive.

That's what I was hinting at.

Keeping RPing alive? There is practically NO RPing on GK now, which is a shame. Perhaps if all Kingdoms werent so peaceful more people would be inclined to roleplay. :/
Also, most people are around level 10-15 maybe. But there are some uber people in each Kingdom. For example (and no offense meant here), if a load of level 12-15 people from a Kingdom came to attack Dustari, Ningnong, who i believe is level 50-something, or was last time I saw him, could probably kick their asses by himself (if he was online). Also, leaders might like to pick a time when quite a few people from the Kingdoms involved were on, to make it interesting, unless they want a complete massacre. Which can be good sometimes.
The overall point is:theres no point having kingdom wars if really high level people could spoil the fun by killing everyone themselves in 1-sided battles.

Originally posted by GoZelda
Or get rid of the PKers?
There will always be PKers on Graal, even on GK, because that is how some people have fun, and we can't stop them or ask them to stop fairly, as they have paid for the game.

GoZelda
12-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Khallos_2k2
to attack Dustari, Ningnong, who i believe is level 50-something,

Who quit :whatever:

There will always be PKers on Graal, even on GK, because that is how some people have fun, and we can't stop them or ask them to stop fairly, as they have paid for the game.

I ment, the kingdoms say like 'These ebil PKers kill 2 moch of ur gangstas we must kikc teihr arsis!'

Khallos_2k2
12-06-2003, 08:33 PM

Who quit :

It was only an example :\

Satrek2000
12-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Zurkiba

Peace sucks man...

So would war as it is now. A proper war should stick to some basic rules - it should last for more than a few hours and players killed in a battle shouldn't be able to participate till the war is over, or till it's been three days since they died. So we'd need a) a war-system and b) a new set of players to give it some rp-contens.

GoZelda
12-06-2003, 11:23 PM
b) a new set of players to give it some rp-contens.
It's not a lack of players but a lack of war.

Butz
12-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Or a lack of players willing to follow the rules of engagement which makes wars more trouble than they're worth.

Satrek2000
12-07-2003, 07:07 PM

It's not a lack of players but a lack of war.

As Shawn said, I meant the lack of rping players, not players in general. A war won't be fun without proper players, either way.

Zurkiba
12-07-2003, 09:48 PM

So would war as it is now. A proper war should stick to some basic rules - it should last for more than a few hours and players killed in a battle shouldn't be able to participate till the war is over, or till it's been three days since they died. So we'd need a) a war-system and b) a new set of players to give it some rp-contens.
Then dont sit there and wait for one to come around.

Wars are the things that make RPing INTERESTING. Noone will RP if it isn't interesting. No Wars means you walk around and go "G'Day M'Lady" and lets face it... 99.9999% of all Graalians hate that. That is why there are more PKers than RPers... because of the lack of war.

Kingdom leaders need to learn how to exploit the lust for blood on 2k2 for their own advantage. But they're not.

Peace does nothing except destroy RPing.

GoZelda
12-07-2003, 10:18 PM
You don't need a war. But if kingdom leaders want to keep peace, they need to bring up stuff; get some members to RP a Ghost Ship. Get some sinister Order created. Start an RP tournament for sake's sake.