PDA

View Full Version : "Wanna RP?... Nah..."

MasterNuke
09-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Reasons why I think people don't RP:
1. Fear: Simple concept... People do not want to RP battle because the GK system gives people an incredible advantage... making many unbeatable and thus... a waste of time to try. Also to add... the potential loss of money and items... No one wants to lose things... especially if it is made specificly to balance your character's potential.

2. Limitations: More enviroment related... say you walk into the pub... maybe look around for a moment... and decide to have a... wait a minute, there is no bartender, no actual pub-ness... just a big room with tables and chairs and a list of people with problems.
You can't really do anything and there is nothing to do... people can still live with the *action* thing... but that takes time to type... and when trying to react quickly to something... it doesn't always work.

3. The People: Power gamers, "1337" people, people who have the sick humor that every pleasure must be another's pain... just because you don't RP doesn't mean you have to stop others from RPing... Probably the worst thing was when flowers and such were being put on the ground setting up for a wedding... then some wandering person with a 3 letter name walked in... picked up flowers and such... was asked to stop, but responded with "**** you" and he walked away.

There's probably alot more but my head is too cloudy to think more.

Thallen
09-27-2003, 09:04 AM
People don't RP because they're lazy and todays teens are so over-obsessed with trying to be in-style and cool that they're too busy being 00B3r l3et hax3zors, and only have time to senselessly kill people, instead of play the game with a real purpose.

Ziro_Vitrudestec
09-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Thallen
People don't RP because they're lazy and todays teens are so over-obsessed with trying to be in-style and cool that they're too busy being 00B3r l3et hax3zors, and only have time to senselessly kill people, instead of play the game with a real purpose.

Wrong. Their main reason is "dood u r a nerd." :rolleyes:<-- to those people

Satrek2000
09-27-2003, 02:50 PM
I agree with Ed, but I doubt that more items and possibilities would improve the situation - even if there's a bartender and beer that actually makes you drunk. The problem is that most players don't rp, basically because most players don't rp. If you try to, you'll have a hard time to find someone who'll rp back, either because they don't want to, are lazy or just don't know how to do it. I also think most don't have a background for their char to work with.

Zurkiba
09-27-2003, 05:52 PM
BLAME THE KINGDOM LEADERS

Thallen
09-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Zurkiba
Kingdom leaders don't control everything Zurkiba. They have little or no control at all over how or if people will RP.
Coolness > Depth in the world of online RPGs, which makes me ask, why do people play RPGs?

Zurkiba
09-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Thallen

Kingdom leaders don't control everything Zurkiba. They have little or no control at all over how or if people will RP.
Coolness > Depth in the world of online RPGs, which makes me ask, why do people play RPGs?
Incorrect... if you make your kingdom full of RPers... then they will RP.. if you fill it full of level 304284032840324 newbies then they wont RP.

--Chris--
09-27-2003, 08:06 PM
*High fives Zurkiba*

Zurkiba
09-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by --Chris--
*High fives Zurkiba*
*licks*

DenoriZakarum
09-27-2003, 09:32 PM

Incorrect... if you make your kingdom full of RPers... then they will RP.. if you fill it full of level 304284032840324 newbies then they wont RP. that doesnt solve the "1337 powergamer" problem (anu, waterlord, mike, lamer, vamp, and many others)

Thallen
09-27-2003, 10:10 PM

Incorrect... if you make your kingdom full of RPers... then they will RP.. if you fill it full of level 304284032840324 newbies then they wont RP.
How's that going to solve the problem of people outside of kingdoms? You're doing it again, speaking on behalf of a server that you don't even play or have any prior knowledge of/from...:\

Ziro_Vitrudestec
09-28-2003, 12:08 AM

VERY correct. The BEST kingdom leader will ideally have only 10-20 (if that many) members in his/her kingdom because of the fact that there are not even many peoplem who will RP all the time while on an RP tag as they should. It also makes me angry how some people claim to support these ideas of how RPing should be improved, and sometimes even say they enforce these rules, when in fact you can see that they do NOT.

Raelyn
09-28-2003, 10:08 AM
The fact that there will never be a kingdom consisting of 10-20 RP'rs is the reason I am not in a kingdom. Who said you have to be in a kingdom to RP? Kingdoms have nothing to do with RP'ing, because it would be impossible to think that the kingdom leaders would boot thier entire ranks and re-recruit the ones that deserve to be there. They should be left in thier own ignorance. I don't RP all the time, I like to log on sometimes and just hunt. When I do RP, I usually keep my mouth shut around "1337 Powergamers", my character adds them to my "ignorant youth" category and they aren't worth speaking to.

Desolator12
09-29-2003, 12:10 AM
you can RP and senslessly kill things at the same time.... i decided in kingdoms i wanted to make some money (well, i didn't decide, my 9 plat did X\ ) so i change my nickname to "Drakken Darkraven. Furrier" and mass PM saying that if anybody needs skins/cloth that i'd go out and do that... for a fee... and then i got a PM saying that this one person needed 5 bury bags... since i'm nice.. and because of the gaining of EXP (i'm lvl 5 btw... yah i suck.. i just haven't been on in a while..) I decided that for 300 plat, i'd kill a few bomys, get their skins, make them into cloth and make bury bags. i did, and i traded him for the money... it's less RP i know... but i do RP when i want to.... such as when i was on CP the night we...regrettably... attacked zormite.... i RPed the fact that zormite were our friends (damn Ghost Pirate changed them to neutral, instead of allies, but he go banneddy ban now :p ) and that what we were doing really had no purpose whatsoever... i almost didn't make harbormaster because that damn Captain GonBai (*curses*) said that i was close to mutiny.... but i said that I was tired that night and not thinking starait. and i was pissed... so i made harbormaster... and now when i came back to graal... i quit CP for a while... just cause i needed time to just play...and level up.... and get my magic up.... and get better armor.. ect... ect...ect...

calani
09-29-2003, 12:18 PM
most people don't rp because they're either too lazy to rp or suck at it.

i'm sucky at rping, i know that, but i rp anyways. sure, i embarass myself a lot. but other than that rping is fun.

rping is what you make of it. it can be tedious work or it can be fun. its all up to you.

Desolator12
09-30-2003, 12:38 AM
exactly... i mean, if you suck at it, the more you do, the more you put into it... the more you become better.

Zurkiba
09-30-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Desolator12
you can RP and senslessly kill things at the same time.... i decided in kingdoms i wanted to make some money (well, i didn't decide, my 9 plat did X\ ) so i change my nickname to "Drakken Darkraven. Furrier" and mass PM saying that if anybody needs skins/cloth that i'd go out and do that... for a fee... and then i got a PM saying that this one person needed 5 bury bags... since i'm nice.. and because of the gaining of EXP (i'm lvl 5 btw... yah i suck.. i just haven't been on in a while..) I decided that for 300 plat, i'd kill a few bomys, get their skins, make them into cloth and make bury bags. i did, and i traded him for the money... it's less RP i know... but i do RP when i want to.... such as when i was on CP the night we...regrettably... attacked zormite.... i RPed the fact that zormite were our friends (damn Ghost Pirate changed them to neutral, instead of allies, but he go banneddy ban now :p ) and that what we were doing really had no purpose whatsoever... i almost didn't make harbormaster because that damn Captain GonBai (*curses*) said that i was close to mutiny.... but i said that I was tired that night and not thinking starait. and i was pissed... so i made harbormaster... and now when i came back to graal... i quit CP for a while... just cause i needed time to just play...and level up.... and get my magic up.... and get better armor.. ect... ect...ect...
Ghost isn't banned... and if you EVER talk bad against Ghost I will personally find your house and bash your head with a bat (Doubt me? Go find Elazul and ask him if Zurkiba had him beat with a bat). Ghost is one of the most respected person ever on Graal, and it doesn't matter what his diplomatic stances were. You're pirates... you have no allies or enemies, you have rivals of the sea.

Desolator12
09-30-2003, 06:14 AM
if you come to my house with a bat, you had better be bulletproof.
and i'm not talkin cheap BBs either...

I talk bad about GP because it's my right fool. i am (at some points sadly) an american. it's in the contitution... ever read it? Freedom of speech (for me, to a degree.... )

i heard from one of the councelors he was banned for credit fraud.

this isn't real life... pirates had zormite i believe as allies in 2k1 during the war against samural... or dustari. one of the other kingdoms...

and guess what?

i really didn't mind GP that much... it was the fact that he supported that fragger gonbai...

Zurkiba
09-30-2003, 06:26 AM
if you come to my house with a bat, you had better be bulletproof.
and i'm not talkin cheap BBs either...

I talk bad about GP because it's my right fool. i am (at some points sadly) an american. it's in the contitution... ever read it? Freedom of speech (for me, to a degree.... )

i heard from one of the councelors he was banned for credit fraud.

this isn't real life... pirates had zormite i believe as allies in 2k1 during the war against samural... or dustari. one of the other kingdoms...

and guess what?

i really didn't mind GP that much... it was the fact that he supported that fragger gonbai...
It's called a verbal expression... It's to show my dislike for your statment and what I would do if I was able to.

And guess what? It's called the Internet. The American Consitution does not drag out to the internet. When you enter the Internet the only 'rights' you have are through international agreements.

I should slap you right now for disliking your nationality... just move to Canada.

Ghost was banned because Toran upgraded his account and Toran did something with Paypal, got all of the money he's even spent on Graal through it back. And Ghost was caught in the cross fire.

Doesn't have to be real life... They were still Pirates. And Ghost Pirate was an excellent RPer... probably the best. And he RPed as a Pirate Leader... and the Pirates never share the sea. He had no allies and the Zormites should've never trusted PIRATES.

And what did you want the Pirates to be? Little nymphs that plant flowers everywhere and bring peace and love to the nations around the world? Think again... they ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BACKSTABBING SCUMS.

And Zach (aka Gonbai) is an excellent person... just because you failed at your attempts to get Harbor Master doesn't mean he is a bad person.

You, my friend, need to learn a few things about Graal and it's legends.

Ziro_Vitrudestec
09-30-2003, 08:13 AM

You, my friend, need to learn a few things about Graal and it's legends.

My first mate in CP is a PC legend kthxbai

Also, that whole threat to Zurkiba about him needing a bulletproof monk or whatever it was was not very funny. Zurkiba rox k?
k
Chris Kill'em 4 lyf yo

Desolator12
10-01-2003, 01:16 AM

I should slap you right now for disliking your nationality... just move to Canada.
>>>
Ghost was banned because Toran upgraded his account and Toran did something with Paypal, got all of the money he's even spent on Graal through it back. And Ghost was caught in the cross fire.
>>>
Doesn't have to be real life... They were still Pirates. And Ghost Pirate was an excellent RPer... probably the best. And he RPed as a Pirate Leader... and the Pirates never share the sea. He had no allies and the Zormites should've never trusted PIRATES.
>>>
And what did you want the Pirates to be? Little nymphs that plant flowers everywhere and bring peace and love to the nations around the world? Think again... they ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BACKSTABBING SCUMS.
>>>
And Zach (aka Gonbai) is an excellent person... just because you failed at your attempts to get Harbor Master doesn't mean he is a bad person.

1) n, what makes me sad is Bush... he's a fraggin idiot that should be put to sleap...
2) Thank you for elaborating... all i really hated was gonbai...well... RP hated....
3) True...true... corse, i wasn't around for this tea party thing... and i dunna why they made me battle, due to my stats... which will soon change as soon as my furrier job gets more publicity.. anywho, they shouldn'ta trusted us, but in truth, they won....
4) I'm not even gonna dignify that with a responce... if i want nymphs, i'll go to forest... no offence forest members that browse this topic and find this post...
5)I didn't fail.I got it. I just left for a bit and returned... anywho, i hated gonbai mainly because I was extremely tired and pissed the night of the attack... so that's why i was acting mutinous... and after i got soo pissed at him, what was I supposed to do the next day? "*holds up flowers and hands to Capt. Gonbai* Ahm sowwy. pweeze forgive me..." *gags* so i played on that thing.. a while after that, i went AWOL... ahtne returned, quit and re-joined.

(Note: sorry for my extremely bad spelling... i'll fix never)

Zurkiba
10-01-2003, 01:37 AM

1) n, what makes me sad is Bush... he's a fraggin idiot that should be put to sleap...
2) Thank you for elaborating... all i really hated was gonbai...well... RP hated....
3) True...true... corse, i wasn't around for this tea party thing... and i dunna why they made me battle, due to my stats... which will soon change as soon as my furrier job gets more publicity.. anywho, they shouldn'ta trusted us, but in truth, they won....
4) I'm not even gonna dignify that with a responce... if i want nymphs, i'll go to forest... no offence forest members that browse this topic and find this post...
5)I didn't fail.I got it. I just left for a bit and returned... anywho, i hated gonbai mainly because I was extremely tired and pissed the night of the attack... so that's why i was acting mutinous... and after i got soo pissed at him, what was I supposed to do the next day? "*holds up flowers and hands to Capt. Gonbai* Ahm sowwy. pweeze forgive me..." *gags* so i played on that thing.. a while after that, i went AWOL... ahtne returned, quit and re-joined.

(Note: sorry for my extremely bad spelling... i'll fix never)
1) America is a state.. not a person. If you dislike Bush then dont vote for him. But never put down your nationality

2) No problem

3) They made you fight because wars are a kingdom effort

4) I put that there because you stated that CP should've never attacked their allies or something. I was trying to bring visions of peace and g_ayness (shouldn't be bleeped -_-).

5) Ever hear of Forgive and Forget? Well I'll tell you a little story between me and Gonbai
It was on 2k1... Before Ackbar. I made a deal with Gonbai to conquer the Zormites with me. I then conquered his nation, the Samurai. I destroyed him... does that mean he held a grudge against me? No, we are now tight friends.

I've always found conflicts to have the outcome to my greatest friendships.
I met Larrien well well from when I conquered 2k2 Dustari, Dashio from when I conquered 2k2 Samurai... Zen from when I attacked Zormite. Gonabi from when I conquered 2k1 Samurai, Stagmar from when I conquered 2k1 Zormite, etc.

Desolator12
10-01-2003, 03:54 AM
1) ok, i dislike bush, not the US...
2) ...nothing else needs to be said
3) still, I thought (personally) the attack was just us flailing about... no strategy... i mean, we all got seperated, we all died at least once, capt and guv'na stayed on ship to "watch it"... you really only need one person to stay on and take it out to deep waters and wait for a PM to bring her back, we should have had more archers... and we should have waited for zorm to go neutral, since we really did nothing and most people that killed others were little no-tags just running about... we should have had ranks... ya know, like 5 fighters in front of 5 archers, then 5 spellcasters to flank the enemy with various things... i play RTS games.... i know my strategy... and i know many things... flanking, guerilla war, espionage... many things....
4) well, i couldn't make heads or tails of GP's reason to attack....
5)I said i RP hated him.... him and this guy from val (don't go into the g.aynesses of val plz if you hate it...)

ian_daniel14
10-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by MasterNuke
Reasons why I think people don't RP:
1. Fear: Simple concept... People do not want to RP battle because the GK system gives people an incredible advantage... making many unbeatable and thus... a waste of time to try. Also to add... the potential loss of money and items... No one wants to lose things... especially if it is made specificly to balance your character's potential.

2. Limitations: More enviroment related... say you walk into the pub... maybe look around for a moment... and decide to have a... wait a minute, there is no bartender, no actual pub-ness... just a big room with tables and chairs and a list of people with problems.
You can't really do anything and there is nothing to do... people can still live with the *action* thing... but that takes time to type... and when trying to react quickly to something... it doesn't always work.

3. The People: Power gamers, "1337" people, people who have the sick humor that every pleasure must be another's pain... just because you don't RP doesn't mean you have to stop others from RPing... Probably the worst thing was when flowers and such were being put on the ground setting up for a wedding... then some wandering person with a 3 letter name walked in... picked up flowers and such... was asked to stop, but responded with "**** you" and he walked away.

There's probably alot more but my head is too cloudy to think more.
or it could be that rping's boring... and kinda stupid...

Satrek2000
10-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ian_daniel14
or it could be that rping's boring... and kinda stupid...

Did you ever really rm, with people who will rp in return, each with at least an idea of who they are ic?

Butz
10-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Roleplaying doesn't necessarily have to be something difficult that you have to have all kinds of things at your disposal for.
Roleplaying, in its simplest form, is merely taking on the role and personality of your character. Talk like them, think about how they would react, simply live their life.
Just a few tips I can think of:

1.) Give your character life. Don't think that just because you're a soldier, or a knight, or something like that, that it's the only thing you're allowed to do. Go for a walk, meet people in town, try being friendly to people, make friends, make enemies. Even soldiers are off duty and allowed to socialize with people occasionally.

2.) Don't let Graal limit you. Sure the pub in Borea is a little scarce, no bartender at all, just a bunch of tables. However, is there really a need for more than that? After all, in most RP, the bartender is usually just a trivial character that stands there, gives drinks, and takes money. Most of the reasons for a bar in an RP, are for people to meet, not to have an enlightening conversation with a bartender. Many great RP's have taken place where no setting was available at all, and everything had to be described out through words. Feel lucky that you have a setting available to you.

3.) Have fun! Not everybody is serious all the time. A life like that is boring and utterly depressing. Have some fun, joke around. In other places, when they're not busy doing their official job as a tailor, or their "retired" job of fighting to protect their friends, my character spends their time sitting with friends around a table, having a nice dinner, and joking around. It's good to be a screwball sometimes.

4.) Everybody has weaknesses. Now, I know that it's fun to think that you've got the strongest character in the world, and that nobody can ever defeat you, and you can shoot laser beams and every attack misses you, but that's not very fun for everyone else, now is it? Make sure your character has faults, weaknesses, something to keep them from being a super-god. The before-mentioned character of mine, although strong and extremely quick, has a somewhat low resistance to damage (due to the fact they don't wear armor of any kind) , is caught off guard by anything done that isn't expected, is easily fooled by people (trusts people too much), and lets their emotions get the best of them. It's really hard to have anyone be an effective fighter when they're too depressed to pick up their sword. ^.~

All in all, rather than trying to make everything super exciting and complicated, it's more important that you make it real. Roleplay is much more fun and interesting when you can believe in what's going on.

DustyPorViva
10-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Satrek2000

Did you ever really rm, with people who will rp in return, each with at least an idea of who they are ic?

Some people have their own views on entertainment.

Desolator12
10-04-2003, 04:12 AM
i remember the stories of when RPing was "You are in a dark room."
*look*
"the only thing you see is a lamp"
*light lamp*
"With what?" (has nothing to light with :p)

yes, i'm talking about the days of the little memory greenscreen computers... and the online D&D service that was there... sure it took a while to generate a room, but hey, you got a quality RP outta this....

anywho... RPing is good... and if your teachers say that it'll lead you to hell, tell them this..."Roleplaying exercizes the mind and its imagination"

that oughta shut them up.... and if not... i'll want to cast... magic missile... :p

j/k

DustyPorViva
10-04-2003, 04:15 AM
I always thought about doing a server like that.

Text/Visual RPG.

Like you could move around but would conduct actions and such through text.

Satrek2000
10-04-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by DustyPorViva
Like you could move around but would conduct actions and such through text.

Graal's about GFX, so I doubt you'll get many players, even though the idea may be good :-/

Desolator12
10-28-2003, 04:19 AM
( i wub dredging up old threads)
ok, i think that some kingdom leaders are trying to make people RP more...

example, friday, around 10:00, the guv'na of CP held a RP-like event... well, i RPed my arse off (usually do it anyway) and at the end when i asked if we got anything, he gave me a prep weapon and 9 diamonds.... that's what..4200 plat selling price? but OI don't plan to sell.. I plan to get a ton of diamonds and prep my bow.... get the damage up on it....

Satrek2000
10-28-2003, 10:44 AM
he gave me a prep weapon and 9 diamonds.... that's what..4200 plat selling price? but OI don't plan to sell.. I plan to get a ton of diamonds and prep my bow.... get the damage up on it....

I fail to see whether you mean to say that this is a case of good rp-ing with a proper prize or far from enough in your eyes...

Desolator12
10-31-2003, 06:14 AM
hell no... it's good RPing and a prize for actually doing something that rarely is done.... RPing... RPing well....

If i were to say that a Prep wep and 9 diamonds was far from enough a prize for RPing... i'd commit myself to the looney bin!

BTW, i like to RP... in the case we're talkin about here :megaeek: :D