PDA

View Full Version : Global Files

Tyhm
08-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Okay, why the hell are global heads still stored on Classic? Does anyone else think it's ludicrous that we've got a heirarchy, the top level of which is just another server? I realize this probably stems back to when the global gfx team lost access back in 2001, but still, shouldn't we keep global gfx at like graal.net or something? So everyone can add to them if they want to share...we can organize it into folders, Classicstyle, G2K1style, G2K2style, 2230, Oasis, insertnewstylehere...that way you don't need to go trolling for your favorite head just to find it's private to a different server, you set your server to Use Classicstyle as the default head folder and it leeches off the global graphics source...heads, swords and shields are irrelevant anyway, only needed for clientside, so it hardly matters if the server can find them or not; it's not like someone can delete a head graphic and walk through NPCs or anything.

Python523
08-14-2003, 01:06 AM
I think I was talking to stefan about that, he says the heads arent really global anymore, they just work on the servers that are on the same computer as classic x_X

Tyhm
08-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Which is silly, as you either have to leech all "global" files off one server - so that one server's losing out on bandwidth - or you have to copy all the files onto all the servers - vastly increasing the server space needed for each server and giving versioning problems, ie Is this head0.png the same as the Classic head0.png, is this the fixed head35.png or the old one, etc. We're gearing everything else towards a global, multi-PW environment, why not this too?

Thallen
08-15-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
Which is silly, as you either have to leech all "global" files off one server - so that one server's losing out on bandwidth - or you have to copy all the files onto all the servers - vastly increasing the server space needed for each server and giving versioning problems, ie Is this head0.png the same as the Classic head0.png, is this the fixed head35.png or the old one, etc. We're gearing everything else towards a global, multi-PW environment, why not this too?
I completely agree with you. I'm not a coder or anything, so I really don't know another way through this though.

SaijinGohan
08-15-2003, 05:10 AM
That sounds like I good idea. I know when searching for files like heads and stuff it doeas actually come up with a heads db from Classic, but I can't use it. It seems very illogical this way.