PDA

View Full Version : Server Size?

XilosTinsu
06-11-2001, 10:16 PM
What do you think the right size of a server is, I'm making on and it's too big so I'm gonna start over, it's something like 289 outside levels, which is way too much, I was wondering what you guys think, I'm thinking maybe 169 or 144 outside levels.

Marco2002
06-11-2001, 10:48 PM
The number of levels isn't very important,but the quality is

XilosTinsu
06-11-2001, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Marco2002
The number of levels isn't very important,but the quality is
Agreed but if it's too big it's not a good thing either.

slp
06-12-2001, 12:19 AM
lol frolic has over 600 outside levels so dont think theres to much

slp
06-12-2001, 12:21 AM
u want room to grow on ur server adding stuff thats why u want alot cause u can make the server and leave lots of space for growing so i think more is better =):D

XilosTinsu
06-12-2001, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by slp
u want room to grow on ur server adding stuff thats why u want alot cause u can make the server and leave lots of space for growing so i think more is better =):D
Good point, I Never really thought about that too much, I think I'll stay with what I have.

LiquidIce00
06-12-2001, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by slp

no just cut off parts .. like make another map and put them together

when you're going to a playerworld if you dont know it well you're going to reach the area where there is nothing and its going to get really boring going through 300 levels which are plain.

XilosTinsu
06-12-2001, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by LiquidIce00

no just cut off parts .. like make another map and put them together

when you're going to a playerworld if you dont know it well you're going to reach the area where there is nothing and its going to get really boring going through 300 levels which are plain.
True, my server is about 250 levels I think, and each town takes up 25 levels, and the quests use 30 levels, so about 100 levels to link everything together is what I figure.

Nai
06-12-2001, 02:21 AM
Hm, yes. Gavil's server (I am Co-Owner) is like 200 something. It was like 2,000 somthing but that was WAY to big. So we cutted it down BIGTIME. Plus, the map I showed you is just the first we started. We are thinking of making Day/Night. But, if we had the script.

Munkey
06-12-2001, 10:50 AM
I say, make your server big enough to support how much stuff *towns, quests, ect.* and then leave a little extra room for immediate expansion and leave some space where you can add more levels later.

fugitive316
06-12-2001, 10:56 AM
Make a town, and keep expanding. Set the limits as you go. You can add more levels anytime you need.

Word of advice: stay away from the level generator

cohn
07-04-2001, 05:19 AM
I work on ToT and it's over 2,000 lvl's big!

SkooL
07-04-2001, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by fugitive316
Word of advice: stay away from the level generator
Why do you think the generator is bad? Some people use it badly. I used the generator and I think that it helps out a lot. You generate levels and edit them. It also makes it easier for a map to be created. I hate PWs without maps, I cannot see where I am or what I am close to. Here is a world I made with the generator... (http://members.spree.com/sports/wrestlespaz/echomap1.gif)

SSmutz
07-04-2001, 05:55 AM
During 1.4 my server was accepted, but we ever got it online due to some computer problems. It only had about 150 levels and it was quite small, but Stefan said it was good. If anyone still has 1.4/1.41 files, you might be able to find the map, called realmsmap.gif, I think. The map was released with 1.41, I think, because it was going to go online.

mastervampire
07-04-2001, 07:11 AM
Margara's currently estimated overworld size is ~2000 levels. that includes open ocean though for some system stuff I have planned, along with room to grow. Graal 3000 is exactly 625 maps and I can walk from top to bottom or one side to the other in just a few minutes, that seems too small to me, THOUGH, a lot of that is due to open area so you can walk straight across, with plenty of terrain blocking the path (much as in real life) so you have to walk around a bit to continue in the direction you're heading, this time is made a bit longer. Plus, i intend to have enough levels to make a realistic world to the extent that I even plan to connect the east and west edges and make it so with enough traveling and ocean crossing, you can actually go around the world. So I'll need a lot of level of ocean to space out my continents enough that it'll be more realistic, and not just a cluster of islands like some other servers that have been out there.

Though unfortunately I am at a fraction of that level count at the moment due to severe lack of qualified builders to help me. I've made 200+ levels myself, so this is going a bit slow. If any of you guy want to try for a position I'd love to hear from you, but expect fairly hard standards. I want my server to look top notch.
~Oladahn~

fugitive316
07-04-2001, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by SkooL

Why do you think the generator is bad? Some people use it badly. I used the generator and I think that it helps out a lot. You generate levels and edit them. It also makes it easier for a map to be created. I hate PWs without maps, I cannot see where I am or what I am close to. Here is a world I made with the generator... (http://members.spree.com/sports/wrestlespaz/echomap1.gif)

Level Gen is a great program...to many people have abused it.