PDA

View Full Version : Filenames

GoZelda
06-03-2003, 09:24 PM
If you play a lot on different servers, you see that all the files in your webgifs folder are a mess. I think that this should happen:
the playerworlds sets a starting text for files, maybe with a maximum of 5;
When someone uploads a file to the playerworld, and the name doesn't start with , for example, mud_, then automatically, mud_ gets in front of it, or, what the uploader should choose, g2k2_ or something else. If the file already starts with mud_, it just is uploaded. And i suggest Graal the Adventure doesn't need starters as anyone can use their GFX.

Kaimetsu
06-03-2003, 09:31 PM
It would be nice if the graphics were automatically divided into separate folders dependent on the world on which they were found.

GoZelda
06-03-2003, 09:38 PM
And another prove of how smart Kaimetsu is:
what takes me 5 lines to write, this monkey writes in one line! He probably is a chimpansee, they're the smartest monkeys. Along with humans ^^

protagonist
06-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by GoZelda
what takes me 5 lines to write, this monkey writes in one line! He probably is a chimpansee, they're the smartest monkeys. Along with humans ^^

Eh, I'm not sure if Kaimetsu is a monkey or not :p .

zell12
06-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Yes, it should either be seperated into folders like kai said, or the playerworlds should start making their graphics serverprefex_nameofgraphic.png/mng/gif

adam
06-03-2003, 10:14 PM

Concise (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=concise)

Darlene159
06-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Not to mention the fact that some PW's inadvertently use a filename already in use, and screws everything up, at least it has happened to me

Kaimetsu
06-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Separate folders would mean that we could open our webgif folders without being struck by the fury of ten thousand little files assaulting our system memory.

amonrabr
06-03-2003, 10:43 PM
hmm.. y? maybe just for the staffs in a server selected their own graphics.. but the Folder ideas isnt good =/ couse graphics like "door.gif" or "lights1.png" are everywhere.. o.O so it just will be in the last playerworld you visited?

I think this.. for now every new pw that stefan put on, he should put in the folder options "images graphics/servername_*.png" ... so the new playerworlds start right.. and the old pws start learning =P

Spark910
06-03-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by amonrabr
hmm.. y? maybe just for the staffs in a server selected their own graphics.. but the Folder ideas isnt good =/ couse graphics like "door.gif" or "lights1.png" are everywhere.. o.O so it just will be in the last playerworld you visited?

I think this.. for now every new pw that stefan put on, he should put in the folder options "images graphics/servername_*.png" ... so the new playerworlds start right.. and the old pws start learning =P

Well im sure we could get a global list. or if not:

Door.gif = 234bytes (That over all the servers is like 3Kb max)

Kaimetsu
06-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by amonrabr

Put them in every folder. This actually alleviates the problem of multiple file instances - what if a PW wanted to have a nonstandard door.gif? Which one would be stored? Maybe a server wants to use a different light2.png, but not change all the scripts that use it. Individually-owned files are the best approach by far.

Another advantage:

You could easily delete all the files pertaining to a playerworld if it is taken down or you don't play it anymore.

GoZelda
06-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Darlene159
Not to mention the fact that some PW's inadvertently use a filename already in use, and screws everything up, at least it has happened to me
hapenned to me with sounds, bravo used a sword.wav sound, and it overwrited my old sword.wav sound. And as i already mentioned with the GTA files that don't need a starting thing, there should be a public folder that contains beer.png, light2.png etc.

Darlene159
06-04-2003, 05:12 PM

hapenned to me with sounds, bravo used a sword.wav sound, and it overwrited my old sword.wav sound. And as i already mentioned with the GTA files that don't need a starting thing, there should be a public folder that contains beer.png, light2.png etc. yea, that happened to me too
If each PW would put their pw name in from of the gif's that they make, that belong to them, that would alleviate the problem of over writing others, and the ones that all the pw's share would stay what they are

GoZelda
06-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by protagonist

Look at his avatar ^^

Kaimetsu
06-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Metaphorically a monkey.

Tseng
06-04-2003, 07:36 PM
It's always annoying when playerworlds upload hats in the form of "hat#.png"...as graal bomy moon uses this format, they become overwritten by these other servers' hats...and this causes difficulty, for players don't see the proper hats. Using servername_hat#.png would be excellent.

I do like that folders idea.

GoZelda
06-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
Metaphorically a monkey.
Where's my dictionary?!

Tseng
06-04-2003, 11:50 PM

Where's my dictionary?!

www.dictionary.com

GoZelda
06-05-2003, 08:28 AM
What was a dictionary again? j/k

okay Stefan, now you got something to do for Graal v.3 >:]

osrs
06-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by protagonist

Kaimetsu should post his picture and say something about him.
I dont know his name (is it Kaimetsu?),where he is from..
I know he is 19/20 years. n_n'
I got a picture of Kai and his uncle,i just dont know wich one is kai,lol.

Kaimetsu
06-05-2003, 08:53 PM
I'm from and in England, I'll be twenty in July, my 'real' name is Mark and I am totally phat.

Spark910
06-05-2003, 09:30 PM
I'm from England, I'll be twenty in July, my 'real' name is Mark and I am totally phat.

They all grow up so quickly *cries*
And maybe that filename thing would be a good addition. But it would take Stefan to add it, so it's up to him. Maybe look through the comments and then add a post into the 'Future Improvements' section

osrs
06-05-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm from and in England, I'll be twenty in July, my 'real' name is Mark and I am totally phat.

what's "phat"?

Kaimetsu
06-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by osrs
what's "phat"?

It transcends definition.

draygin
06-06-2003, 12:02 AM
I know in one movie phat stood for Pretty hot and tempting

Although no offense to Kai but I wouldnt refer to him as phat. But thats with both of us being male. :X

JrTerrorist
06-06-2003, 01:41 AM
He probably is a chimpansee, they're the smartest monkeys. Along with humans ^^

BoBo the Gorilla can speak sign language, and knows over 800 words.

I watch animal planet a lot.. :O (Monkey World = Teh Ownage)

GoZelda
06-17-2003, 10:59 PM
There was this dog who could make the homework of the children of his owner. Math homework, that is.

Judge_S
06-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Darlene159

It's happened to me.
When Bomy Moon was still playable, they often used "fire.gif" obviously for fire. But I connected to some server and downloaded "fire.gif" as a head. So everywhere on Bomy Moon was a head set, rather than a flame - though the head did have the lighting effects. It was comical at first, but was just irritating later.

dorfindel
06-19-2003, 05:07 AM
It would be nice if the graphics were automatically divided into separate folders dependent on the world on which they were found.

That's actually a GOOD idea. Congratulations. Really. o.O

Kaimetsu
06-19-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by dorfindel

Go away, troll-boy.

TifaKhan
06-19-2003, 10:11 AM

Hi Mark :p

And yes i agree the seperate folders would be a wonderful idea.
I have over my time as Manager asked my gfx team to name things dd_ or dd- or something similar along those lines to mark them as ours.
But as far as the hats go, we have had problems trying to name them.
For some reason they only show up when they have lower numbers.

GoZelda
06-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by dorfindel

My idea!

Androk
06-22-2003, 05:11 PM
I like both ideas. But folder one would probably be better, because some PWs might refuse new format of servername-filename.extension, simply because it's alot of work.

I like cheese...