PDA

View Full Version : Ingredients For An A+ Playerworld

Kuza
05-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Well, what do you guys think would go into making the ultimate super duper awesome playerworld that Graal has yet to see? There has to be a special ingredient that it's missing. Is it the storyboarding, development, level/graphic (visual) creativity or lack of hardwork and dedication to each job. What theme or setting should the playerworld be built around or should it even use one? These are the questions I'm asking you to answer.

Neoreno
05-05-2003, 10:38 PM
What I said in this thread...

http://forums.graal2001.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34101

Seems to go.

G_yoshi
05-05-2003, 11:09 PM
A Playerworld worth an A+ is something quite hard to do. Its a rather subjective thing to mark worlds like that. The most important thing about making at least a quality playerworld is your attitude. This by far will have the most impact on how your world will be shaped and behave.

Let's face it. The majority of the PWs only have one purpose: power. That's really the only means of thier existance. Its just masked behind other things most often. That is not to say that the purpose cannot change. Its just unlikely that it will ;)

HoudiniMan
05-06-2003, 01:22 AM
There's no PW that could ever unanimously be considered the best one...

DarkShadows_Legend
05-06-2003, 02:09 AM
An A+ Playerworld?

A 100% original playerworld.

- New Ideas.
- New gfx (tileset, bodies,etc).
- Great levels
- A well-designed overworld.
- Great NPC's.
- Great Quests.
- Lots of Mini Games.
- non-corrupt staff and fully dedicated ones.

Dark-Dragoon
05-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by DarkShadows_Legend
An A+ Playerworld?

- New Ideas.
- Great levels
- Great NPC's.
- Great Quests.
- Lots of Mini Games.
And that..besides the engine..would be not Graal.
Which is sad...A+ playerworlds are not graal anymore..

ETD
05-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Well, obviously, i think that anyone who makes a playerworld, would be makeing their world into what they believe is the best...

and I am no different, so really, i think the best player world would be like this:

1. tileset - i like the origional tiles, i really do, but a lot aren't that great, and could be improved, or replaced. But i think that the basic tiles (grass, trees, and such) should not be changed.

2. bodies - i like the origional bodies and such, i don't see why people have to change them =0

3. levels... must be VERY good... VERY detailed, and NO tile errors... i am EXTREMELY picky with levels (as my LAT's could tell you)

4. quests - make them interesting, and not all the same style... NO pot/bush/sign mazes, or those invisable mazes... or riddles that are impossible to figure out... i actually don't mind fighting baddies, if it actually challenges you. I don't think that all quests should be fighting things... maybe 25% fighting, and 50% mental work, and 25% 'physical' work (like moving around the server, or doing something that takes your time)

5. the server should be playable, without you having to do the quests. the quests are PART of the game, not something you are required to do...

6. there should actually be an economy... money should be worth something... but not so much that that becomes all people care about.

7. environment - the whole server should 'feel' the same.. same overall theme, and everything.

8. no empty space! no empty levels, or pointless buildings, that have no inside... none of those "contact ___ to have your house here" and such...

9. events and activities - lots of different kinds of events, and prizes. there should also be side activities, and games that people can play by themselves, and don't need an events person to host them.

10. an honorable, and modest staff. hard workers, who i can trust. a large, and experienced body of staff, to get things done, and done right.

11. updates - there should be somekind of noticable update to the server daily... give the people something new to look forward to... but don't make the updates obviouse... they have to explore to find them
;)

those are just what my idea of an A+ server would be like

cynicalfree1
05-06-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Dark-Dragoon

Can you name a playerworld that ever was A+ quality?I sure cant. Maybe some close. Like when Graal2001,and Classic was it their prime.But now it's just a playerkilling/sparring/5 minute quest furry.

HoudiniMan
05-06-2003, 04:21 AM
New bodies = check minus. :o

Aknts
05-06-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Kuza
Well, what do you guys think would go into making the ultimate super duper awesome playerworld that Graal has yet to see? There has to be a special ingredient that it's missing. Is it the storyboarding, development, level/graphic (visual) creativity or lack of hardwork and dedication to each job. What theme or setting should the playerworld be built around or should it even use one? These are the questions I'm asking you to answer.

MESSAGE ME ON AIM!

Jeff
05-06-2003, 05:20 AM
No playerworld could ever come close to golden-age newmain, when the economy wasin ful swing.

Spark910
05-06-2003, 08:48 PM
It would have to intrest me. I am the sort of fan of James Bond movies, in other words, action action action. Yes I do like films with realistic structure etc... Anyway.. About 2 PWs amuse me, the rest bore me. And to be fair I haven't given most of them a big enough chance. BUT they need to be more interesting at the start, and it needs something to keep my playing. I mostly play most new PWs for about 1-2hours just because its new, then I hit F8 and go on a gold server or a different PW. And the chances are I will stay in that same level of the new PW for ever. So it needs to INTREST me.

Kuza
05-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Spark910
It would have to intrest me. I am the sort of fan of James Bond movies, in other words, action action action. Yes I do like films with realistic structure etc... Anyway.. About 2 PWs amuse me, the rest bore me. And to be fair I haven't given most of them a big enough chance. BUT they need to be more interesting at the start, and it needs something to keep my playing. I mostly play most new PWs for about 1-2hours just because its new, then I hit F8 and go on a gold server or a different PW. And the chances are I will stay in that same level of the new PW for ever. So it needs to INTREST me.

Mind sharing with us what interest you?

G_yoshi
05-07-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by DarkShadows_Legend
An A+ Playerworld?

- New Ideas.
- Great levels
- Great NPC's.
- Great Quests.
- Lots of Mini Games.

Having mini games is a bit arbitrary :p They can be present, but they are not exactly necessary. As I said before, its mainly your attitude towards your PW and your focus.

And someone said its negative to have new bodies? WHAT HOLE HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING IN!? Ignorant traditionalists. You're part of the problem that holds Graal back :/ Personally, I'm sick and tired of 90% of the playerworlds using default everything (aside from the half-assed images). Its boring and very monotonous.

Also someone said something about 'A+' PWs not being Graal anymore. So? Could you sit there and eat chocolate pudding day in and day out and continue to enjoy each bite? Absolutely not. You'll grow tired of it and want to feast on something else for days on end until you tire of that and so on and so forth.

If you want your 'A+' playerworld, then make it! Quit sitting on your thumb whining about what is not to your liking and do something constructive about it. Its rather irritating to hear people say Graal is not Graal anymore. But you know what? That's a rather relative statement. If its not Graal to you then develop a server that fits the bill of what you want. I'm assuming that managers and the like can't read minds so how are they to know, hmm? I know that I am making my PW to what I want and like; how I see Graal as being. If people don't like my ideas and visions then they don't have to play it when I'm ready.

And as far as staff is concerned, the responsibility falls upon the manager. Its thier fault if they allow a person to be hired who is nothing more than a loose cannon hellbent on wreaking havoc. Those kinds of people are hard to avoid anyway.

Kaimetsu
05-07-2003, 11:26 AM
One thing I have yet to see in any playerworld: Fully interactive levels. I'm talking about NPCs that converse with the player, even if they don't have much to say. I'm talking about usable ovens in houses, even if the player can't bake food. I wanna see little chickens pecking at the ground and running from the player and serving no other purpose but to be there and add some color.

Plus, I'd like to see people getting creative with tilesets. Sure, they're pretty at the moment but a little fancy scripting would go a long way. Things like ladders that are built into the tileset rather than being lots of separate NPCs, for example. That'd be pretty cool (and helpful to level designers).

Magic, too. In the majority of playerworlds, magic is stupid. Little NPCs that you pull out of your backpack like a common shovel. And how is it that anybody can use it (sometimes there's a wizard class, but honestly, can anybody tell the difference?)

User-friendliness! That's another thing. Sure, some of the playerworlds have tried to make vaguely complicated systems with experience and classes and weird system NPCs, but does anybody know how to use them? How about an ingame tutorial? Too much to ask?

Originally posted by G_yoshi
Could you sit there and eat chocolate pudding day in and day out and continue to enjoy each bite?

Actually, yes :)

ETD
05-07-2003, 12:13 PM
And someone said its negative to have new bodies? WHAT HOLE HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING IN!? Ignorant traditionalists.
umm... i see the bodies like the tree's... i have yet to see a good newly made tree for a tileset, and i have yet to see better bodies... most new bodies are just edited old ones... and the only reason people like them are because they are different... not because they are good, just because they are different.
If you want your 'A+' playerworld, then make it! Quit sitting on your thumb whining about what is not to your liking and do something constructive about it.
I am ;)
=================
Kai, i agree with you 100%! and that is exactly what End of Ages is doing 0.o' the whole time i was reading your post, i was thinking "oh shoot, now others will do this too"
=X

adam
05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Dark-Dragoon

Well, graal is not original!

And if all new stuff means not graal. then G2k2 is not graal either.

Symbonia_Od
05-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
One thing I have yet to see in any playerworld: Fully interactive levels. I'm talking about NPCs that converse with the player, even if they don't have much to say. I'm talking about usable ovens in houses, even if the player can't bake food. I wanna see little chickens pecking at the ground and running from the player and serving no other purpose but to be there and add some color.

Plus, I'd like to see people getting creative with tilesets. Sure, they're pretty at the moment but a little fancy scripting would go a long way. Things like ladders that are built into the tileset rather than being lots of separate NPCs, for example. That'd be pretty cool (and helpful to level designers).

Magic, too. In the majority of playerworlds, magic is stupid. Little NPCs that you pull out of your backpack like a common shovel. And how is it that anybody can use it (sometimes there's a wizard class, but honestly, can anybody tell the difference?)

User-friendliness! That's another thing. Sure, some of the playerworlds have tried to make vaguely complicated systems with experience and classes and weird system NPCs, but does anybody know how to use them? How about an ingame tutorial? Too much to ask?

I had acually had that planned with Azeroth. Fully interactive Player Houses. Like were you can move around objects, and use them. I was going to make a new key button for USE for using balanced objects "in-levels".

Also, the key thing I think for Playerworlds. Is...

1. Creativity
2. Originality
3. A Objective (Most playerworlds have no meaning)
4. A somewhat Deceant storyline (That makes Sence :rolleyes: )

MOST IMPORTANT
Interactivity. Most playerworlds are so basic, and so played out. I have yet to see a playerworld that has ALL original content.

I have always wanted to have a playerworld that has (Unique/Rare/Magic) Items. Like say you walk up to a rock that looks kinda funny, and you use the USE command. Then you find a unique item. Maybe a staff, or some kind of crystal.

And I would make them very rare. Like maybe 1 of each in the WHOLE playerworld. And you can litterly watch the items circulate through-out the playerworld. I would also put no price on them, so it could have any value. I call that my "Treasure Hunting" idea. I figured it would have taken a huge effect.

Also.. like Kaimetsu was saying, interactivity. That would be really neat having a WIDE variety of animals and creatures that really serve no purpose other then to just give the playerworld life. Like even making little bugs that just fly around, and maybe make a special gani for if a flying bug touchs you, the character will try and swat at it.

I find with playerworlds, the smallest of things count. Just making the most content, even if its small is always useful. And makes it look like you spent a long time on it, and really thought out every single idea.

Spark910
05-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Interaction. And never before done things. So NO: Hats, Skipping Rope, Fishing, Mining, bow, bomb etc..

G_yoshi
05-07-2003, 11:10 PM

You'd be the one to say that :p

Androk
05-08-2003, 02:24 AM

I love you...

(Point being I want same =) Full Interactivity between Player and World and World And World)