PDA

View Full Version : How to make a map

Geovanie Legend
06-10-2001, 05:56 AM
Ok aparently some people are making pw's, but have no idea how to make a map, well here is the best way i've found to make a map and be able to test your world at the same time
1. Make a new folder called My_Server or something
2. copy everything in the graal folder to the new folder
3. obtain a copy of graal v1.4 exec and rename it to graal14.exe and place it in the new folder
4. put you levels in the levels folder
5. put the images in the levels\images folder
6. etc. etc. etc.
7. be sure that bigmap.txt fits your world (e.g. "myworld1.graal","myworld2.graal","etc.")
8. Open graal14.exe, press F4 to open the editor, then press M to generate the map of your world
9. open the map in an image viewer such as PSP (http://www.jasc.com)
10. convert the color depth of the map to 256 colors
11. save it as map.png in the new folder
12. Reopen graal14.exe and load a level from your server
13. press M to view the map.
14. This will also correctly link your levels so you know what they'll look like online =)
15. that's all there is to it

Komieko
06-10-2001, 06:00 AM
Why use an old version?
Just open the starting level put setmap green.gif,thetextfilewhereitstoresyourmapname.txt, x,y; in an NPC script

play the level for a sec,hit F4 and then hit M and wham!DONE!Then you just convert it

Geovanie Legend
06-10-2001, 06:01 AM
Yes but my way you get the nifty little linked levels trick =)

grim_squeaker_x
06-10-2001, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Geovanie Legend
Yes but my way you get the nifty little linked levels trick =) In his way too... The .txt file part is what link's the levels together.

XilosTinsu
06-10-2001, 06:04 AM
looks way too complicated compared to how I do it, all you need is bigmap.txt and doubleclick a level and press M.

MoonAngel
06-10-2001, 06:16 AM
I dunno why but with Graal 2001 when i press M and my levels and bigmap.txt are in the levels folder, the map draws 12 black levels and 2 grass level, and i have 32 levels and none of them are empty =\ and with older versions, tiles are missing from the updated pics1.png

fugitive316
06-10-2001, 06:18 AM
To make a map I just use my older version of graal. If the pics1 change, you can just overwrite the older one.

XilosTinsu
06-10-2001, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by MoonAngel
I dunno why but with Graal 2001 when i press M and my levels and bigmap.txt are in the levels folder, the map draws 12 black levels and 2 grass level, and i have 32 levels and none of them are empty =\ and with older versions, tiles are missing from the updated pics1.png
Try double-clicking on a level on your server instead of double-clicking on the .exe or program.

Enigma_GP8
06-10-2001, 07:36 AM
see my problem is that when i hit m and it cycles through the levels and it gets to the end the window to save the picture dont come up. its wierd

nyghtGT
07-09-2002, 07:31 AM
k thx

Max-imus
07-09-2002, 08:08 AM
So you are saying that if you have levels for a map and you use the old version, it does all the linking automatically for you so you don't have to go back and add the links manually? If that's true then that is pretty cool :)

G_yoshi
07-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Max-imus
So you are saying that if you have levels for a map and you use the old version, it does all the linking automatically for you so you don't have to go back and add the links manually? If that's true then that is pretty cool :)

Um, it never did and it never will -_-

You have to add the links manually if you created the levels by hand...LevelGen will automatically link your levels.

Max-imus
07-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by G_yoshi

Um, it never did and it never will -_-

You have to add the links manually if you created the levels by hand...LevelGen will automatically link your levels.

Then I don't see the point of using the old version, seems like a waste of time to me.

fugitive316
07-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Max-imus

Then I don't see the point of using the old version, seems like a waste of time to me.

I *think* the new versions will only make a map if the world is the right dimensions. That's why I use the older ones, they don't require any specific size.

So that means if you make your playerworld by hand, you might not be able to generate a bigmap using the current software.

At least that's the conclusion I've come to after attempting many times to make a map of hand made levels.

And if you can't make a map of a generated playerworld, make sure the image you are using to generate is a multiple of 64.

fugitive316
07-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Wow my earlier post was from exactly a year and a month ago. I've been playing Graal too long D:

AlkarenHyralt
07-09-2002, 11:28 PM
*STAB*

You made me think Silver was back :(

draygin
07-09-2002, 11:35 PM
It's easy. All you need is a txt file

Say you have 5 levels But not directly connected. You could make a map by doing this

"level1.nw","","level2.nw"
level3.nw","level5.nw","level4.nw"

When ever you have a place where no level is at you leave it blank. Such as the "level1.nw","","level2.nw" The middle level is missing so I just put ""
Now say you make that text saved as superman.txt

you would enter this script in a level

setmap ,superman.txt,; (might be messed up on where the cama's are at.

Put that in a script. Click play. Then hit 4f the level should be one giant map with A blue arrow you can guide your self around on in level editing mode. The level that is blank will just be blackness. Hit m the map will generate. There will be a black square where the level is missing.

fugitive316
07-09-2002, 11:45 PM
So you're assuming I was doing it wrong?

I generated a map with the current version. Black image.
I generated a map with 1.38 Viola! A working map.

Magic!

draygin
07-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by fugitive316
So you're assuming I was doing it wrong?

I generated a map with the current version. Black image.
I generated a map with 1.38 Viola! A working map.

Magic!

I'm not assuming you're doint it wrong. I know you're doing it wrong. Because I have no problem making a map. But before I knew to make it one giant map first I had the same problem where it was all blackness.

fugitive316
07-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by draygin
I'm not assuming you're doint it wrong. I know you're doing it wrong.

Okay :D

Admins
07-10-2002, 03:20 AM
>v2.14 is producing maps that can directly be used in Graal, no color conversion needed anymore

AlkarenHyralt
07-10-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Stefan
>v2.14 is producing maps that can directly be used in Graal, no color conversion needed anymore

This thread is a year old :)