PDA

View Full Version : Graal Kingdom's RPing sucks

Rax
02-01-2003, 06:40 AM
It's really *** no body wants to RP and there havnt been an RP event in a long time.Some of these leader don't care about their kingdom.Have some wars already and show some of your rp skills this server is supposed to be mostly RPing!People don't want to RP and have wars because they dont gain anything!add some rewards to it like If your kingdom wins a war you get all the money form other kingdoms chest and control some of the other kingdoms land and can tax the houses on those lands and the money got from the chest can be used to buy ships,cannons,and build strogner forts

Googi
02-01-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Rax
If your kingdom wins a war you get all the money form other kingdoms chest and control some of the other kingdoms land and can tax the houses on those lands

Isn't that wrong some how :\

Rax
02-01-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Googi

Isn't that wrong some how :\
why

Python523
02-01-2003, 06:49 AM
people dont rp because *******s like you ruin the fun of the server by scamming and making the server even more unbalanced, thus making people loosing the will to play and RP

Brad
02-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Python523
people dont rp because *******s like you ruin the fun of the server by scamming and making the server even more unbalanced, thus making people loosing the will to play and RP

Thats not why at all. Leaders are being too friendly. Forest sucks now, Dustari is slow, Zormite slow, Samurai are powerhouses and are just waiting to kill someone, and pirates are slowly dying.

Rax
02-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Brad

Thats not why at all. Leaders are being too friendly. Forest sucks now, Dustari is slow, Zormite slow, Samurai are powerhouses and are just waiting to kill someone, and pirates are slowly dying.
everyone is joining samurai because they dont want to get killed and some of them cant rp

Googi
02-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Not to mention that really high leveled people can get into any kingdom they like just because they have a high level. Fortunatly when 2K2 is reset maybe things will balance out more.

Selzar
02-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Im instantly going to the reseted server.

LOA--Paul
02-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Selzar
Im instantly going to the reseted server.
I think most of us are

MilkyWay0016
02-02-2003, 12:18 AM
When in Dustari I encouraged people to RP, but no one wants to, and I couldn't do anything to make them.

The admins should step in and make an RPing standard for the reset server.

busyrobot
02-02-2003, 01:31 AM
Personally, I think half the reason for the shoddy RPing, is that there is always the thought that if any given kingdom stops building up for even a second, they'll be more vulnerable to attack.

In my house on Dustari, I have next to nothing, except stockpiles for war materials. I sleep on the floor, and the next day it's back to build up build up build up.

Then, you have high level people who have never valued RPing, and they view themselves as the 'backbone' of the kingdom, and that they should not be told what to do.

I think Arwen (milkyway) had trouble enforcing the rules because there were no set standards - not a single thing posted to the Dustari forums on our RP standards, with info on penalties for failure of compliance. I don't blame her, from what I've heard the standards never came about to even post.

At times, people got very rude I recall, and they should have been demoted for it or at least made to appologize for their deplorable behavior.

There is no excuse for acting ooc in normal conversation on tag, it's just lazy not to, and doesn't hurt your ability to build up.
Usually, people who won't RP in this fashion are obsessed with power-building, and other's let it slide because without power-builders, kingdoms are vulnerable.

I think the simple solution is for Kings to state thier RP standards, punishments for not complying, and then enforce it, period, without exceptions for high level people.

brock128
02-02-2003, 04:45 PM
I still liked 2k1 kingdoms. The game didn't revolve around it, so you didn't need to join one, so less newbies joined.

SIGH.

MilkyWay0016
02-02-2003, 06:25 PM
2k2 should either have set enforced rping standards or not be based on kingdoms.

_0AfTeRsHoCk0_
02-02-2003, 07:36 PM
I don't think the environment for role-playing (ironically) is on 2k2

1) People are too strong and are too focused on killing. Those who are weaker and want to role-play cannot, because they'll just get slaughtered

2) It's still a bit too awkward to move around the entire server through boats and walking etc, althought that is improving

Hell, I sure want to role-play on 2k2, but I'm only about 10 levels weaker than the average guy, who can rip me in half by one hit. How am I supposed to do anything RP related?

get my point?

-Axel-
02-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Heh, I understand what you mean, Aftershock.

Anyway, I was smashed by the thought of 2k2 at first. I was hoping there were spells to fit my character (Axel Warhare the Necromancer :o ) And when I found out they were having a Priest class, I was super happy. Then I found out you have to worship a God pretty much, and the super happy Brigid has the only spells close to Necromancy.

So I pretty much have to create a new character, which I don't want to do.

aylad
02-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I can remember when role-playing was done with dice on a tabletop. Now no one wants to RP unless they have a custom-made computer-generated NPC weapon scripted to their exact specifications, named after their computer-generated kingdom, with rewards granted by that same computer for defeating another cg kingdom etc etc.

RPing is what each individual player makes it. Lack of RP is not the fault of the server, it is the fault of each and every individual player. When I'm on tag (with some exceptions which I try to correct), I role-play. I ignore people who don't RP. I interact with those who do. And I enjoy the RP experience. I don't need massive server changes; I only need intelligence, personal willpower (or self-reliance), and discretion.

_0AfTeRsHoCk0_
02-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by aylad
I can remember when role-playing was done with dice on a tabletop. Now no one wants to RP unless they have a custom-made computer-generated NPC weapon scripted to their exact specifications, named after their computer-generated kingdom, with rewards granted by that same computer for defeating another cg kingdom etc etc.
If I was someone who added quotes into my sig, it would definately go there.

brock128
02-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by aylad
I tried to DM many D&D games, none of which sucessful. So now I take D&D online :D

Zurkiba
02-03-2003, 05:33 PM
You say that the Samurai are too strong... but you also stated Astri was a 'super-power'

I'll tell you something... The allaince was so weak it's not even funny. I mean like... if the other three nations played their cards we would've died at the invasion of Samurai.

The power of Dustari, Zormite, Pirates, and Forest combined are overwhelming to the Samurai.

Astri could've been destroyed if Dustari, Zormite, and the Samurai sat and said... "Wow Astri is getting Hostile... maybe we should do something about it". But instead you let me conquer each and every single one of you one by one.
------------
But anyway... I personally dont like the way 2k2 RPs =x... I enjoy the 2k1 RPing system better because it showed how much skill you had with the sword and with stratagy.

2k2 just shows how much time you have to play on the computer. Sure maybe I can kill someone that is one or maybe two levels above me... but the rest just take a single hit.

Personally... I think the level system should be destroyed... or put some major drawbacks to being a high level.
A drawback could be like... The lower the level, the faster you are (lets say +5)... but the more levels you gain the slower you get.

Your charm could go down too. What is so charming about a 300lb sweaty warrior with buldging muscles that scares you? Nothing.

The ability to learn would go down also. It's a proven fact that a two year old human can learn better and quicker than a ten year old human. So the higher the level... the less the chance to learn something.

Spells would become less frequent the higher you go. This excludes Alchemist, Sorcs, and Priests. But people like Warriors shouldn't need the charm spell... So maybe there could be a drawback to the spells like... 30% of the time it might make your charm negitive.
--------
That's my two cents and now everyone will be on here going..
"No I've worked..." and blah blah blah. You'll also quote me on how I stated levels dont show skill, they show how much time you have.

But personally I dont care what you think.
-------
The server is ran by the high levels. Not the kingdom leaders. And that is very bad.
And yet again... I propose that something be done with the level system =x.

Or make RPing go back to a server that is/like Graal 2001. We had the best time RPing on 2k1... RPing on 2k2 is nothing compared to it.

aylad
02-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
If I was someone who added quotes into my sig, it would definately go there.
Vote, please. :D :D

Thank you, though. But I must admit... *whispers* I never actually played any of the tabletop RPG's... I do it all electronically too ;)

TeRRi2k
02-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Zurkiba
Your charm could go down too. What is so charming about a 300lb sweaty warrior with buldging muscles that scares you? Nothing.

Sweaty? Maybe he takes baths by the water :) and maybe the muscles are used to attract girls XP

and the samurais are too..'violent'...ive seen some of the members talking about attacking other kingdoms for "NO reason" because they are bored and feel like they need to kill someone. also because they're strong so they know only a few will be able to stand a chance.

MilkyWay0016
02-05-2003, 03:31 AM
[B]
But anyway... I personally dont like the way 2k2 RPs =x... I enjoy the 2k1 RPing system better because it showed how much skill you had with the sword and with stratagy.

2k2 just shows how much time you have to play on the computer. Sure maybe I can kill someone that is one or maybe two levels above me... but the rest just take a single hit.

Personally... I think the level system should be destroyed... or put some major drawbacks to being a high level.
A drawback could be like... The lower the level, the faster you are (lets say +5)... but the more levels you gain the slower you get.

Agreed 100% - we need more orinial things to make characters with in RPing. Like desiging your own clothes or something

TeRRi2k
02-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by MilkyWay0016

Agreed 100% - we need more orinial things to make characters with in RPing. Like desiging your own clothes or something
hmm maybe like, its a certain skill scroll you have to learn for that. after that, you can make and design. Perhaps you can gain personality exp from it. The more you get, the more complex designs you can create.

MilkyWay0016
02-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by TeRRi2k

hmm maybe like, its a certain skill scroll you have to learn for that. after that, you can make and design. Perhaps you can gain personality exp from it. The more you get, the more complex designs you can create.

Maybe, but for some reason I HATE skill scrolls. I mean, does a blacksmith go: "Hmm... I want to make metal ! Better go read!"

There should be a system where you can pick, say, 3 specific traits for your RP character.

This whole random scroll thing is sort of dumb becuase people can't even pick how they want to RP.

People who want to RP as a singer get mounten climber, etc.
You have to restart 10,000 times just to get something that fits your character, or just make a new character all together.

Locke_boy
02-13-2003, 03:02 AM
I think the skill scroll in the beginning should be chosen, not random.

However, I think that the leveling system should stay. There just needs to be a better way to keep the high levels out of the low levels hair.

I'm sure that when the new server comes, a lot of these issues (the more social sorts any way) will work themselves out. I know that once the final server is out, that I will RP 99% of the time.. and I'll try to (( keep this to a low. )) :)

TeRRi2k
02-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Yes, the scroll should be chosen. But only some of the ones though I guess, because people would probably choose the ones that are most expensive like shopping scroll so they won't have to pay like 2k for it later on

Locke_boy
02-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TeRRi2k
Yes, the scroll should be chosen. But only some of the ones though I guess, because people would probably choose the ones that are most expensive like shopping scroll so they won't have to pay like 2k for it later on

Heh, yes, that's true. Perhaps only the scrolls that are around the average price could be chosen .. but I don't think that useless scrolls should be able to be picked, because new players might make that mistake. Scrolls like punching (what is the point of that scroll?), and thaumaturgy .. although, eventually, some of them will have a use..

P-a-W-n
02-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
I don't think the environment for role-playing (ironically) is on 2k2

1) People are too strong and are too focused on killing. Those who are weaker and want to role-play cannot, because they'll just get slaughtered

2) It's still a bit too awkward to move around the entire server through boats and walking etc, althought that is improving

Hell, I sure want to role-play on 2k2, but I'm only about 10 levels weaker than the average guy, who can rip me in half by one hit. How am I supposed to do anything RP related?

get my point?

I totally agree with you, especially on the part that 2k2 is ironically not the best environment for role-playing.

What's the most frequent and almost only interaction that kingdoms have with each other? War.

Now on 2k2, the only way you're going to be able to be victorious in war is if you're the stronger party. So everyone focuses on leveling up to make themselves stronger than the opponent and end up focusing only on this, because you can't go into war with half the exp. of someone else.

Well, news flash, people. There's no way to pass someone else's level, because chances are, the opponent is leveling up just as much as you are. So no matter what, you're always going to be behind someone.

So this proves a problem for those of us who want to roleplay, but are total weaklings. (Take me for example.) If I went into battle and got sliced by someone's sword, I'd die 3 times before hitting the ground. My only option? Burrow somewhere and hide out of site during times of war. Now, since war pretty much the only time I see people roleplaying (besides the random Axel the Seamonster/Demon I used to see on 2k1), it sucks to be me. But since everyone is always concerned about leveling up, wars don't even happen that often like they used to back on 2k1 and most of the time, aren't even caused by people roleplaying.

Just my theory about what's wrong with the RPing on 2k2. I continue to RP with the very very very few of us I see RPing something other than war, but 2k1 is still a better environment for role-play.

[Edit: Woops, I didn't quite finish my post there.]

Zurkiba
02-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by P-a-W-n
2k1 is still a better environment for role-play.

Yes, it's more fun if Your the Karakaze Bandit and you place Sachel Charges on the Zormite Waterfall (and the RP admin makes it explode and the waterfall collapses). And then the Zormites only have three days to get rid of the waterfall or they'll die.

So they scale the mountain and start to use their pickaxes and shovels and hammers to try and break apart the menacing blockade of rocks and dirt whichs threatens their homeland.

Then a raid of Karakaze Bandits rush in and start to wage a war. The Zormite men rush out into battle while the females and children are put on destroying the blockade.

The sealevel around the Zormite Island is starting to lower at an alarming rate and the females and children begin to work at a frantic speed. The sun begins to set and the waterlevel is becoming too low... so low that the fish are starting to burrow into the mud to keep wet.

But to their surprise!, the males return from the battle. They drove off the Karakazes and now they begin their work. And after three long days of work, success! The waterfall begins to flow freely again.

-----
Now lets look at the 2k2 system of RPing:

The soldiers spent all day in the dugeons gaining insight on how to kill better (levels), but a war between Dustari and Samurai strikes out in a feirce, bloody battle. The soldier rushes home to gather his things and he charges into the battlefield. But because he is of young age (level) he is unable to even gain a slash on the older warriors. He dies in one hit, right there on the ground.

----
I'm sorry, but the 2k1 sounds 10x more fun. Because you have to deal with Internal Affairs, External Affairs, Survival, and Economics. On 2k2 you just go kill everyone and conquer the world.

-Axel-
02-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by P-a-W-n

(besides the random Axel the Seamonster/Demon I used to see on 2k1wrong with the RPing )

You know you loved it.

AlexH
02-14-2003, 05:40 PM

<super snip>

So you suggest that RPing on Graal Bomy Moon is far superior to RPing on Graal Kingdoms yet all the RPers still play Graal Kingdoms.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them all to go back to Graal Bomy Moon and have more fun RPing.
I struggle to see why they don't.

_0AfTeRsHoCk0_
02-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by AlexH

So you suggest that RPing on Graal Bomy Moon is far superior to RPing on Graal Kingdoms yet all the RPers still play Graal Kingdoms.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them all to go back to Graal Bomy Moon and have more fun RPing.
It's ironic, but I'll try to explain:

On Graal 2001, before Graal kingdoms came out, you'd see that the majority of people were role-playing. Evenm though we all complained that there needed to be more role-playing tools and role-playing elements, we still role-played there by making things up and improvising.

Then all of a sudden Graal kingdoms comes out, and people start going there, however, I know for a fact, and I'm sure many others do that this server is much more different then what we were anticipating. The kind of environment from Graal 2001 to Graal Kingdoms is so different that people struggle to find an easy way to role-play, and people don't even role-play, all they are focused on is gaining levels and becoming super strong by fighting baddies, buying spells and making potions to create armor and such.

I don't know, maybe we're just a little bit traditionalist, but it seems that for the kind of people that play Graal Kingdoms (determined to be the best, no matter what, very machiavellian and will do anything it takes) that role-playing isn't suited for that kind of server. At least back on Graal 2001 it wasn't all based on how strong you were, it was also based on loyalty, friendship, and yes, some skill (you had to be good at sparring). How many people have you seen actually role-play on graal kingdoms, as in, a true role-playing event, where two kingdoms got together and did something special or unique? I can count those times on one hand.

busyrobot
02-14-2003, 09:38 PM
I agree with Aftershock.

I'd like to ask, what do you consider fun RP events to be?

I would like to see a tighter relationship in Kingdoms between game elements and the characters we play.

For instance, within the Kindoms, (at least Dustari) things are very much 'every man for himself' when it comes to all activities except for war and when a King or Prince asks for some help with something. Higher ranks do not help organize lower ranks.

Teamwork has been limited to:

1) Koui (Awren) and a bunch of us made ships for the shipyard.
2) Raziel help me in a Dungeon once (and quite kindly helped me with my stats when I discovered I unexpectedly was in battle mode)
3) Lady Auron helped Karsh in the dungeons (then we died from lag and left swearing a blue streak)
4) I heard we helped Zormite agianst the Samurai (wasn't able to be there :( )
5) General acts of kindness are actually quite common (helping with food, finding spells etc)
6) Brad when he was the General would take people into the arena so we could see what a war would be like (not fighting potatoes anymore). It's tough hitting players compared to any baddies.

Some people have had the 'lets make a new town' bug in theier bonnet, but they soon get bored of it.

All I am saying is that if you are a General, you should be in charge of knowing who the soldiers are, and organizing an effective army. You should need to to get a promotion.

A Weapon's Master should know where you can make weapons and armor and what they take to make them, what to recommend to the newer recruits, etc.

Cardinals should help build churches and temples, say, with the help of monks who will use those places, promote piety and the Holy Orders.

If we are better organized, we can afford to RP more and won't feel like if we don't keep lvling up every minute, we're meat.

I'd like to hear what you think can be improved just by our actions, and what can be improved with small additions, and also what large things you'd change to make RPing better in Kingdoms.

Zurkiba
02-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by AlexH

No, there are two reasons we dont go back to Bomy Moon.

1) Jeff doesn't seem to want us :(
2) There hasn't been a progressive movement to move the kingdoms yet.

Why should one kingdom start playing 2k1 if they're going to be the only one? Instead take three or more kingdoms with you, put the population higher, and then everyone moves back to Bomy Moon.

I've allready agreed to move Forest to Bomy Moon if two or more kingdoms make the move with us.

Brad
02-15-2003, 12:50 AM
2001, the future.