PDA

View Full Version : New Gods

Rax
01-21-2003, 03:05 AM
I think we should have more gods like a Evil fire god that gives wepaons fire damage (so we dont have to use flaming sword ) and players should be able to form thier own religion and cretae new gods if they get alot of supporters and we should have some religious RP wars like Ogma people fights the Bile people or something and the winning god gains more power and if a god keeps losing or doesnt have alot of supporters then it'll die and new gods will form

draco5432
01-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Rax, in a scarry way...THAT IS SO FREAKIN AWSOME!

Loriel
01-21-2003, 03:54 PM
*is typing a long text*
[edit]*done*
I like the Discworld system of gods...
if people believe in the power of an entity, that spirit/thing/animal gains more and more power.
So a god's career could start as an unimportant spirit of a forest or so, where something strange happens (a child gets chased by a wild animal, but for some reason the animal gives up or gets stopped), parents of the persons create a small altar (pile of stones) for the spirit, it gains power and can now more actively make people believe into it, and then gather enough followers to take over whole villages or even countries later.

Of course, in-game it would be hard to determine if someone believes into a god, let alone really believes, or is just in for the benefits (magic weapons, leader positions in cults).

But if we just have different power levels for gods whose followers win battles or handle believe like membership in a religion, the idea could be made possible. Let's assume there is a sum of mana in the whole game that is being equal to the total numbers of players (only those count who have logged in recently), every player would "be" a potential mana point, seen from a god's point of view.

To create a god, or a cult, you will then be able to to built an altar somewhere, and name the god it is sanctified to.
You'd also define in-game things that the god values. If you name few, these might be supported more than if you name a lot.
Each characteristic could also have a negative counterpart that cannot be supported by the same god, for example a god offering resistance to Frost damage won't protect you from fire. This assures a diversity of gods, so that not everybody will be member of the same cult because it has superior stats.

Once you gain enough supporters, it will be considered an "official" god and listed somewhere in a pantheum (<- that is a greek word having to do with "all gods" basically), along with the number of members. The gods would also have an account-like database that store the characteristics and attributes: information like list of members, valued spells/stats/EXP classes/resistances/items/kingdoms/..., perhaps a description or a cult leader (think: guildmaster).

A disciple of a certain god could then force another player, who is following none or another god, to join his religion in some way - RP, promising help, not stop killing them until they join - and now the first god will gain a mana point while the god who lost a follower will lose one. I think it would be a nice idea to hold a log of god changes, so the former cult of a player could decide to hunt him because he betrayed them.

The number of followers a god has, divided by the numbers of active players (max mana) could be used as a modifier on priest spells, or the magic effect of enchanted weapons - which should also be made more dynamic so that they can change at runtime based on the current happenings, and only be used by followers of the same god that originally blessed them - or perhaps as a general bonus split on qualities that the god values (leucetious will not be able to give you resist bonus when no one follows him, but if he has the monopoly of followers, your electric resistance will be 100%).

These are just my personal thoughts that resulted from this post, but I like them. I wanna lead my own cult of Loriel-fanatics to destroy, uh, peace, unity and order. :D!

[edit] I already heared the "PARAGRAPHS!" yells ...

graaliholic
01-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Loriel
snip

That would be great, have the original creator be the leader of the cult, and choosing what your god is good at and what blessings he/she gives. would allow players to make gods that many would want to follow for a large blessing, maybe the leader gets a perminate equivilant to holy posession or something, and gets some form of bless spell as long as they are the leader, and only works on followers of that god? would be fun, maybe you would have to maintain the altar too? maybe the bigger the altar, the more followers it can have? anyway, it would be great to have, if stefan actually looked at it :o

Warcaptain
01-21-2003, 11:41 PM
[edit]

i posted a good idea... but im gonna save it for my server *****...

sorry :(

Zurkiba
01-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Make it where former Kings are the new gods...
That would consist of
Me, Aftershock, Dashio, Toran, and Ghost Pirate...

And you can like worship them o.o

Rax
01-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Zurkiba
Make it where former Kings are the new gods...
That would consist of
Me, Aftershock, Dashio, Toran, and Ghost Pirate...

And you can like worship them o.o
gods shouldnt be real players.it would turn into a popularity contest

Kinatt
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
How about the almighty LORD and then Moses, Jesus, Buddha, Stefan, and Unixmad come out and then thats your religion your either Jewish Christian Muslim Stefish or Unix and then everyone could be Unics(sp?)!

On the first day god created the heavens, and it was good
On the second day god created Graal, and it was bad
On the third day god created, Licorious and it was tasty
On the forth day god created Graal 2001, and it was mediocre
On the fifth day god created Stefan and Unixmad to take credit, and so they did
On the sixth day god rested, and it was good
On the seventh day god created Jenna Jameson, and it was sweet.

Warcaptain
01-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Kinatt
How about the almighty LORD and then Moses, Jesus, Buddha, Stefan, and Unixmad come out and then thats your religion your either Jewish Christian Muslim Stefish or Unix and then everyone could be Unics(sp?)!

i dont usualy spam... but thats retarded

Zurkiba
01-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Kinatt

No, if you bring real life religions into the game then you have to bring in every religion.

And Player dieties are cool... those people would be considered staffers and they get logs on every single prayer, every single sacrafice, and every single time their name is said.

It's like this. Lets say that King Larrien of Dustari wants to worship the fallen Viking Spirit of Erik Heimdal. Then he would go to the altar and drop like food, stones, minerals, weapons, anything. He'd pray 25 times... and he would say something like Erik Heimdal is great. I would have a log on that and everyday I would read through it and I could give blessings and such to those loyal ones.

Like, there could be alot of differnt blessings and there would be a set guide-line for the prayers and blessings. But the players-dieties can be more interactive and such. Like lets say Dustari's patron diety is Erik Heimdal. Then my favor would be in their seats. It means that I would be able to grant Dustari more favors than a kingdom that doesn't worship Erik.

It wouldn't be corrupted, as the dieties would have to be trusted people who could never go corrupt. And there is always the Mutal Blessings... But like the dieties would fight and such, leading nations into war... and bringing destruction and glory.

You say "But Zurkiba NPCs can do that", Now picture this... The Voodoo cult on the Pirate Island is trying to contact the spirit of their lord Girum. Then Girum can be summoned there and help the pirates out.

The dieties would have a set level and they cant level up or anything... Like lets say there is the player-diety that is for peace... that person would have a level of like five. But the other player-diety is a sword-bearer... that person would be like level 8.

Wouldn't it be cool though? Like Zormite is going to war soon, so they call apon their great diety, Blahblahentersomerandomnamehere. Their diety is a warmonger, so the level is around nine. They can ask the diety to help them in the war if they were faithful enough and if they prayed enough and everything.

It would be the ultimate RPing experience and it would be rather fun. You could worship Aftershock and he could be summoned to help govern the state for a little bit.

And yet again, a guideline would be set so noone could be corrupt. Like in order for a diety to help you, then you need like 20 hours of worship. But lets say you just want A Handaxe of Erik... then you would need like 5 hours of worship. Or something like that.

--Chris--
01-22-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm not gonna read all these super long post but I read Rax's idea and it sucks in my opinion. One thing I would like to see is a God attunes to ice...I mean we got poison (Ogma), electricity (Leucetious),Balor (grants fire spell), Bile = drain and a whole bunch of other poo...why not someone with cold/ice?

kenyonandelliot
01-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by --Chris--
I'm not gonna read all these super long post but I read Rax's idea and it sucks in my opinion. One thing I would like to see is a God attunes to ice...I mean we got poison (Ogma), electricity (Leucetious),Balor (grants fire spell), Bile = drain and a whole bunch of other poo...why not someone with cold/ice?

Your right. We need an Ice/Cold god. Maybe a Ghost god? If there isn't any.

Kaimetsu
01-31-2003, 04:58 PM
PROBLEM: People will all flock to the god with the most followers. Obviously. Eventually there's gonna be a clearly defined best god with 99% of the server following him. What's the incentive to switch to lesser gods? Maybe they grant bonuses more in tune with your character but then still you'll have distinct bests - best priest god, best warrior god etc.

There are a few ways to combat this. Examples:

Gods could get complacent. When they have, say, >10% of the playerbase believing in them, they hit a hard cap on the benefits they give to their believers. Although this would encourage the formation of new gods, all the old gods would stay ad infinitum.

Gods could die out. New gods are energetic and powerful but over time (two weeks? a month? three months?) they weaken. New gods must be found. In this example it would be beneficial if the believer did not choose the god's properties. Perhaps instead they could find wandering spirits (resembling wisps, perhaps) with random attributes and have the option to worship them. This would encourage shifting between gods.

Now that I think about it, the second option is way better.

Butz
01-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
PROBLEM: People will all flock to the god with the most followers. Obviously. Eventually there's gonna be a clearly defined best god with 99% of the server following him. What's the incentive to switch to lesser gods? Maybe they grant bonuses more in tune with your character but then still you'll have distinct bests - best priest god, best warrior god etc.

There are a few ways to combat this. Examples:

Gods could get complacent. When they have, say, >10% of the playerbase believing in them, they hit a hard cap on the benefits they give to their believers. Although this would encourage the formation of new gods, all the old gods would stay ad infinitum.

Gods could die out. New gods are energetic and powerful but over time (two weeks? a month? three months?) they weaken. New gods must be found. In this example it would be beneficial if the believer did not choose the god's properties. Perhaps instead they could find wandering spirits (resembling wisps, perhaps) with random attributes and have the option to worship them. This would encourage shifting between gods.

Now that I think about it, the second option is way better.

Yes, but if there was more emphasis placed on switching between gods, It would probably be a good idea to remove, or at least greatly lessen the current god-switching penalties.

MKSLAYER
01-31-2003, 10:50 PM
about creating your own gods this means people could have an almighty God that enchants and does all this jink ok not only that but scripting for spells would be like a job from hell there i said it

Tyhm
01-31-2003, 11:44 PM
A constant stream of new gods would require either the pregeneration of a massive list of future gods with all required stats, replenished regularly, or the constant attention of at least one admin to invent a new god every three weeks...and if he misses the deadline, everyone goes Boo...and if he screws up everyone goes Boo...=_=

Plus the issue that you lose quite a bit when you change gods...

Kaimetsu
02-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Tyhm
A constant stream of new gods would require either the pregeneration of a massive list of future gods with all required stats, replenished regularly

Not really, they could be randomly generated on creation. Think weapons in Diablo but, y'know, more divine.

And what penalties are there for switching gods?

Rax
02-01-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

Ummm you get like negative resistance stats so like If your god gives frost damage he would have negative fire resistance so if 99% of the people went to that god then they're dumb because someone could join a god that attackes with fire and have a huge advantage over them and they really need to remove the penalties for switching gods you lose like half of your wisdom exp for switching

Kaimetsu
02-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Rax
Ummm you get like negative resistance stats so like If your god gives frost damage he would have negative fire resistance so if 99% of the people went to that god then they're dumb because someone could join a god that attackes with fire and have a huge advantage over them

A huge advantage? Those people would have negative frost resistance also so that part cancels out. The only difference is that the frost god would be far more powerful and grant his followers greater stat bonuses, allowing them to far outclass the fire god's followers.

ArchonX
02-23-2003, 02:49 PM
I would like a new god that would add fire or cold or ice magic into weapons [Rax's idea]

Tyhm
02-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Balor doesn't do fire...?

MKSLAYER
02-23-2003, 10:29 PM
balor has slay angel :whatever: gee that helps a lot :|

zell12
02-24-2003, 12:57 AM
it just does more dmg to angels. Or holy...umm... monsters? Mabey more damage agenst dienchet or whatever e.e
But Govannon does weaponmagic :O

Kaiser2
02-28-2003, 02:22 AM
Cuz Govannon is leet