PDA

View Full Version : Targeting System

--Chris--
01-15-2003, 08:26 PM
In my opinion a targeting system for missile type spells (cause wounds,magic bullet etc) should be added....maybe saying something like /mark <account name> would work but they must be in the same level or maybe it should just follow the closest player infront of you O.o Dragging the icons from the spell menu and having to put it on someone is kinda touch if they are moving and attacking you not to mention you still have to cast it which also takes time x.x

graaliholic
01-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by --Chris--
In my opinion a targeting system for missile type spells (cause wounds,magic bullet etc) should be added....maybe saying something like /mark <account name> would work but they must be in the same level or maybe it should just follow the closest player infront of you O.o Dragging the icons from the spell menu and having to put it on someone is kinda touch if they are moving and attacking you not to mention you still have to cast it which also takes time x.x

And they see the icon comming, which alerts them of a spell about to get cast, so they just move outta the way :o

Selzar
01-16-2003, 01:00 AM
no /mark would not be good

this would be better...
double clicking on the person/monster and then you would see a green arrow above him moving up and down but it would not appear on the other players screen.

I think this is much better then dragging an icon to the person x.x

--Chris--
01-16-2003, 06:23 AM
eep! I meant to say /target =P
Anyways, I like your idea more Selzar *hopes Stefan sees this.*

Selzar
01-16-2003, 08:37 AM
:) :D :cool:

ZanderX
01-16-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Selzar
:) :D :cool:

Do you totally disregard the rules or something?

That's pretty much considered spam, yanno.

MasterNuke
01-16-2003, 01:26 PM
typing /target or /mark or /whatever would be much too slow and slumpy... it would just be another friggin degrade to wizards

Mikoto
01-16-2003, 02:23 PM
A better idea would be to have something where you press the macro for your spell or double click it and a box would surround you, then you can use the mouse button to click on the target you wish to cast the spell on and just double click him or hit enter and it will cast it on him/it.

graaliholic
01-16-2003, 10:39 PM
no /mark would not be good

this would be better...
double clicking on the person/monster and then you would see a green arrow above him moving up and down but it would not appear on the other players screen.

I think this is much better then dragging an icon to the person x.x

I like this, that way you can switch spells quickly while still aiming at one person:) Then you can levitate them and cast a fireball followed by some magic bullets if you're fighting or give someone the stat spells, heal, bless, protections, etc. if you're not fighting. Maybe right click to de-select, and auto-deselect if if they get too far away, and if nobody is selected then all spells get cast upon yourself no matter who's in front of you :P i hate when i'm about to cast strength or dexterity and someone rushes in front of me :\

Locke_boy
01-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Yes .. a targeting system is definitely needed. Selzar's idea is pretty good.

Selzar
01-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Because I put smileys is spamming ?!
I was nearly showing my expression in words I could not say.

So shush!

--Chris--
01-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Bah...all the ideas are good, I just want one implemented. Come on Stefan! Read the freakin thread!

Juron Pilo
01-17-2003, 10:13 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of z-targeting in zelda cuz I hate having to use keyboard AND mouse...
actually I think there shouldn't be targeting at all but oh well

graaliholic
01-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Juron Pilo
I was thinking something along the lines of z-targeting in zelda cuz I hate having to use keyboard AND mouse...
actually I think there shouldn't be targeting at all but oh well

I don't like using mouse much either, but there needs to be targeting so most spells actually have a use :o

Juron Pilo
01-18-2003, 03:47 AM
there does? why? effect spells should have a range of touch... attack spells should be aoe or projectile.... WHY THE FUDGE WOULD ANYTHING NEED TO TARGET A PLAYER WITHOUT SHOOTING AT HIM OR BEING IN CLOSE RANGE?

Selzar
01-18-2003, 04:45 AM
x.x
Targeting Players and Enemies IS needed...
Dragging an icon to a player or enemie is stupid. That I can tell was made lazily and wanted to finish fast so they do the most quickest thing as possible ...
Double clicking on an enemie to target it is more civilized and I think it would be alot better than dragging.
What other games make you drag your spell icon to target an enemie...
So far of what I've seen. NONE AT ALL.

--Chris--
01-18-2003, 05:51 AM
I agree with Selzar =/
Juron, you = not the brightess light-bulb.

Juron Pilo
01-19-2003, 09:44 PM
no I'm saying why need to target? needing to drag IS stupid.... lets not use it?

Tyhm
01-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Or like, you tap S.
It targets (locally, draws a little circle around) the target closest to Straight in front of you. While it's still charging you can tap S again to pick the second priority, or the third, etc.

For example, we have a player with Magic Missle in a room of 5 skeletons.

Me

2 3

The first choice is the skeleton right in front of the player. The second choice is the one a little further away...a difficult algorythm, but you'd only have to write it once for all targeted spells.

Heck, you could even use the Slow spell's targeting and it'd be an improvement....

ReaperJ
01-19-2003, 11:27 PM
I like teh missles jsut how they are, and if you have trouble aiming a spell at someone then thats something YOU need to work on , not the gameplay of graal O_o

::only read first post:: heh

--Chris--
01-20-2003, 01:06 AM
You must attack ****s, ReaperJ...my speed is 4 without wearing RoTs or such. I would love to see you even TRY to aim a spell at me, it's not a matter of skill...anyone with even half that speed can avoid a spell. A targeting system is needed otherwise higher level fast people are impossible to drag an icon on and far less hit...especially if they lag x.x

Soul-Blade
01-20-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by --Chris--
You must attack ****s, ReaperJ...my speed is 4 without wearing RoTs or such. I would love to see you even TRY to aim a spell at me, it's not a matter of skill...anyone with even half that speed can avoid a spell. A targeting system is needed otherwise higher level fast people are impossible to drag an icon on and far less hit...especially if they lag x.x

How is it possible for you to have 4 speed without RoTs?

BeZeRkEr
01-20-2003, 03:20 AM
i thought 3.5 was max

Juron Pilo
01-20-2003, 03:23 AM
I don't like targeting at all... the current way, the way expressed in this post, or thyms way(i.e. the z-targeting I mentioned)

konidias
01-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Do you comprehend how hard it would be to even doubleclick a player with 3.5 speed + lag? Try right clicking a person that is running around during a battle. It's nearly impossible. :|

You have to right click all over the screen, and if that is the case, you'd be casting spells everywhere but where the target currently is.

A simple "left click to lock on a target" system would be easier. You just click the player and it highlights them somehow, and you use the spell and it shoots towards them, even if they move around (if possible). Then you have a good system. Otherwise it's still going to be frustrating.

JrTerrorist
01-23-2003, 02:35 AM
Why not make it Zelda/Metroid Prime style?
Hold down a certain key or just press it and you target the NPC closest to you (You can target players if you AND they are in battle mode)

Selzar
01-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Not if both are on battle mode...not acceptable. People sometimes cast spells on eachother.

Tyhm
01-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Not if both are on battle mode...not acceptable. People sometimes cast spells on eachother.

... ...

OH CRAP, GODS NO! NOOO! WHAT ARE THEY DOING?!? NOOOOO! NO!

Godforbid they should be allowed to target each other. Jebus.

Locke_boy
01-23-2003, 06:42 AM

.. uh? That made little sense.

Back on topic, I think that it should work so that it targets the nearest .. targetable object .. and that with a certain button (or with the mouse I suppose) you could scroll through the different targets to choose one .. and the fire the spell whenever you're ready.

JrTerrorist
01-23-2003, 08:30 AM
People cast spells on eachother all the time, do you have a VIP account or something?

Nate was following me around giving me lepracy last week o.o

Tyhm
01-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Even if he meant Not just if they're both in Battle Mode, it's silly, as we're talking offensive untargeted spells such as Magic Missle rather than Cure Medium Wounds or Magic Bullet...

Yes, aide spells should still work regardless of battlemode. Mode is sommat irrelevant towards targeting, as duh magic missle's not gonna hit a guy in peaceful mode, THINK!

Kinatt
01-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Aide spells don't work if your in battle mode sorry ive never noticed... but I am not a priest..

That is the stupidest idea I have ever heard.. but it could be the most brilliant..

It stops you from healing someone in battle mode fighting another person in battle mode wthen that other person can't kill you keeping that other person fighting from being healed thus is left with a disadvantage

When Party mode comes out in full effect I believe priests should be able to heal party members. and all party members must choose peaceful or battle while in the party mode. thus enabling more intricate PvP while keeping it fair.

just my 2 cents..

or I just thought of this.. maybe battleM priests can heal both BattleM players and PeaceM players while PeaceM players can only heal PeaceM players. thats a good idea right there as well

maybe find someway to combine them

comment on my ideaz?

--Chris--
01-23-2003, 10:49 PM
All my armor and stuff has speed and dex +, my str is 25 and I carry around 200kg in stuff. The rings I wear are Blood Ring and RoC. RoTs = sux0rz. That's how =P Max speed is not 3.5